1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people believe anything other than heterosexuality is a choice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LordofNihil, Sep 29, 2014.

1. LordofNihil

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are they secretly bisexual but only act upon their heterosexual desires, therefore making it a "choice?" I mean, I don't get it. Has anyone ever felt this way previously?Particularly, why do religious people think this? And does this make them homophobic? I don't think so, necessarily. I don't know... what a tragedy.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Because they're ignorant

3. Blossom85

I think it is the way they were raised and the way their parents were raised Etc.. It's just they have known no other way to be.. It's often they are scared and worried of the unknown and don't like changes and also don't understand cause they themselves aren't gay..

4. Candace

Because they're ignorant and don't know any better. I don't have pity for them at all, by the way.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because heterosexuality is seen as the default; they probably believe everyone is born heterosexual so the only explanation for someone being something other than heterosexual is the must have chosen it.

6. LordofNihil

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have y'all ever known someone bisexual who thought it was a choice since they are attracted to both and identify as heterosexual for religious reasons/acceptance? Assuming they later stated they were bisexual. This is important for my theories... o.o

7. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Saying that bi/homosexuality is a choice is often an excuse to not accept gays/bisexuals. ''Oh, I don't agree with such behaviour, it is wrong and it's your fault that you're like this. If you wanted to be treated with respect, then you shouldn't have chosen this path.'' In my opinion, it's a defense that homophobic people use, as if ''gay people don't want to be helped''.

8. Noira

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like LoN my belief is anyone who says that, is probably Bi or gay in denial.

If being gay/bi is a choice then so is being straight.

If you're choosing to be straight then it would imply that you find men and/or women sexually attractive but choose to date the opposite sex in order to appear "normal".

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Because their intelligence only stretches as far as: 'Penis meets vagina and then 9 months later a miniature human pops out on a string and that's how it works so we must all be straight!' And anyone who is that ignorant will be inclined to have an inability to understand any perspective other than their own.

There is also the fact that for most who are gay or bi they will not be known as such until such an age as they come out/are outed, because they are assumed to be straight by default. So the ignorants then use this as an excuse to say that someone chose to turn gay/bi.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ignorance, also there are some religious people that are either gay or bisexual ,but think because they choose to ignore their attraction so can everyone else . Then there are some that just can't get pass the penis goes with vagina thing . :eusa_snoo

11. DamiansKat

DamiansKat Guest

Blind..all just blind.

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another vote for just plain ignorant, with a bit of gullible thrown in for those who follow bigoted bible thumpers.

13. BenjiChr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, they've clearly been raised in the belief that it's wrong. My mother, for example, is extremely homophobic, and so is my brother, because she has raised him in those beliefs. I believe it basically boils down to poor information about the subject, so they all believe that it's a choice that we've made.
    Of course, there is also the whole religious deal, but I won't delve into that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering how easily young children accept the idea of alternate sexualities, such ideas about them being a choice are just learned behaviors.

15. TheStormInside

It's because they think everyone is actually born heterosexual, so if you are gay that's something you chose, not something inherent within you. It's like saying everyone is a brunette, so if you have red hair you must have chosen to dye it.

The other argument is that you can be born gay, but it's a choice to act on those feelings. That is true, but it also presumes that gay people don't deserve to be happy and in loving relationships like straight people do.

16. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The last part that people can be born gay, buy it's a choice to act on those feelings is how my religious family thinks. Unfortunately, this is how I felt for a long time too, cause that was the doctrine being poured down my throat. I felt like I could deny my attraction towards women. I struggled with my sexuality for years and years. And while being bi meant that I could be totally happy with a man, I finally realized that I wanted to explore my attraction to women. I didn't chose my attraction so why should I chose to ignore it? Even when I am not in a relationship with a woman now, I chose to accept that my attraction to women is nothing to be burried inside of me; it is nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing that I should deny. I was misrable before. Now I am so much happier. Gay-bi people shouldn't let ignorant people (religious or non religious) tell them they should deny their feelings. Everyone has the right to be happy! :slight_smile:

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have no idea what's on their minds...

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

They just mad 'cause they can't get a date.

LOL!

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It usually comes from super religious homophobes in my opinion. The straight people that at least tolerate us never say things like this in my experience. I think the reason It's brought up because acting on those urges is a choice, and It's seen as a 'sin'. So they think you can try hard enough to act/or be attracted to the opposite sex instead

20. RainDreamer

Because they think being deviated from the norm is a choice.