1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...the hell is up with these random acts of kindness lately?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by C P, Sep 30, 2014.

1. C P

C P

As the title says. It seems pretty bizarre and I took more note of it because of it all happening in such a relatively small time frame.

A couple days ago, while I was out, I decided to pick up a little something at a local pizza place. I had paid with one of my cards first(just to get rid of the change I had left on it) so I could do the rest in cash and the girl who rang me up pulls $2-3 in change out of her pocket to put it towards my order, leaving me to only pay a couple bucks. Something had happened to where my order was late, by like only a few minutes so I didn't really care, and she remembered that someone had forgot to pick up an order of wings from a short while before, so she asked if I wanted them; she said it could be sort of to compensate for me having to wait a short while longer(I'm thinking... Didn't you just pay for part of my order?). Anyways, I tried them because it wasn't a type I had before, I liked them, and I decided to take them. So I get part of my order paid + some free wings...

Well about 2 hours ago, I was out at Wawa's and I looked around but didn't see anything I wanted so I decided to just get this frozen cream. I walk up to the register to pay for it and this cop who was there was standing there with a few things he got, but looked like he was waiting for something, so he gestured as if he was letting me pay ahead of him. I sit my drink on the counter and am about to pull out my wallet when I hear him say something to the cashier about if she 'got it' and she said she did because she pulled up the order number. He then tells me to not worry about it and that he got it, so apparently he paid for my frozen cream and I'm like 'um...okay, thanks?'.

...the heck is up with all this?

It seemed to start earlier this past week when I was at that Wawa's super early. A guy who works there, who I see every so often, was outside walking a little back and forth at the end of the building on a smoke break. As I'm walking across the parking lot, he notices me and walks all the way over to the door to hold it open for me(and I'm guessing he decided his break was over then? He went back in at that time).

What...am I due for good karma or something? :eusa_thin

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Good karma is a good explanation. :slight_smile: Also, there's a lot of ugliness in the world right now, maybe these people are making an effort to improve the things they can? I *love* that idea, and I'm going to do it too. :slight_smile:

3. Blossom85

I think it is truly a wonderful idea.. As a matter of fact.. One of my favorite actors Misha Collins has set up an organization called random acts which is dedicated to funding and inspiring random acts of kindness around the world.. It is just a beautiful cause I think and something that needs to happen more.

4. RAdam

Are you gorge :O? That could explain it :grin:

5. C P

C P

The rest I can match with that(?) but that last example I gave still feels pretty...strange. Anyways -

I was kinda being sarcastic about the karma thing because I don't usually pay attention to that kind of thing, but maybe it does have a hint of truth to it(?). I'm someone who'll run into like a store worker I see pretty regularly, who I deem friendly, and randomly give them a coupon for a free sandwich or something I remember I have an extra of.

Going along with what I said above, I didn't really think of it that way until I now saw you mention that...I guess that's a nice thought.

This reminded me of a guy from a few years back who would come into Sears ~ the holidays and buy out the entire toy section, just to have it all sent to charity.

Heh, are we on the same page here?

6. kem

kem

What? People being kind? Kill it with fire!

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i got a extra nugget at mcdonalds once it was pretty exciting

8. Gen

Gen

I know exactly what you mean. I am a skeptic at heart, so I tend to become very suspicious when there are a string of random people being abnormally generous. Similarly when you have accepted the fact that you don't look your best on a day, yet get the feeling that you are being hit on at some point. It seems that fate must have a sense of humor because you never get these types of responses when you expect them.

9. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've noticed it for a long while now, and I've always chalked it up to people just being "why the heck not?" I'm a barista and when someone forgets a pastry or whatever, I just offer it the next customer. I don't see the harm in giving away something that has already been paid for and forgotten. I don't plan to eat it and throwing away in the trash is a bit much.

I think people unconsciously is doing what good they can right now because the world is full of ugly and that just influences the future generation and that's a good thing. I believe in karma and balance in life.

10. C P

C P

Yes; disgusting, ain't it?

Yay for free food? :king:

Exactly, especially that last part. It always just hits me and I'm like what I was above with the cop scenario. I go 'Uh...thanks?' with this confused look and briefly wonder what the heck is going on.

Nothing wrong with giving away something(I hate that policy a lot of places have where you are supposed to throw away anything that is left at the end of the day), just comes off as a bit...strange, usually, when something like that catches you unexpectedly, ya know?

I guess, like Gen, I'm just pretty skeptical about that sort of thing...and all at one time? o,o

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that's pretty awesome that they did that for you! I have done "random acts of kindness" before, but what I hate is when people post about it bragging about what a nice thing they did on FB. Just be kind to be kind, not to get anything like recognition out of it. But yay for you!

12. Candace

I'd say that it's a combination of good karma and you just had a set of really lucky days :lol:

13. hopefulguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finally a good persons getting what they deserve. I would definitely say it the karma. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. C P

C P

That is annoying. It's like when they feel the need to note it at every turn/throw it in your and everyone's face.

I personally know someone who will do some stuff for you, like pay your way somewhere(just in a supposed friendly way, aka offers to do it), but let someone ask her where y'all went to and did... She will say 'oh, we had a nice time at *place*, I paid for *person/people*'s way, I got *person* this. Oh look at this, *shows them what you got*, I got them that.' Blah blah...

Yeah, because it isn't like you simply had a good time and could talk about that. :icon_roll

I didn't walk under enough ladders it seems... :king:

15. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you're describing is something I've seen quite a few people where I live do. We call it pay if forward. Its just a small gesture you do to help someone out. Such as paying for a drink or helping them out when they might need it. For example my mom and I went to the store about a month ago and we didn't have enough money to pay for everything we got, we were just going to put it back when the lady behind us said don't worry about it I have it. Since she paid for some of our stuff a few days ago I was in the store and an older man couldn't afford some of his items so I paid for them...hence paying it forward.