1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and cutting hair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheStormInside, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

So, I'm thinking about getting a major haircut tomorrow. Currently my hair is down my back and quite long, what I'd like to do is get a shortish bob. I've had my hair short before, but it's been years, so I'm of course nervous as to how it will come out. But oddly I'm finding I have another hangup now, I worry that people might see it as a stereotype that I'm in the process of coming out as lesbian and suddenly chopping off much of my hair. I still plan to have a feminine style, so it's not about appearing butch, but I do feel in some ways that acknowledging who I am is also kind of allowing me to worry less about what is attractive to males, who if asked often say they prefer long hair on women. I'm not really comfortable explaining this thought process to others just yet, nor do I want to get questions about it. But what is it about coming out that often leads a woman to cut her hair? I also worry I'm getting caught up in that and may be doing this for reasons other than personal desire or whim, though probably, I am overthinking this as I do everything :lol:. Thoughts? Experiences in this realm?

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hey Storm. :slight_smile: You gotta do what's right for you. I love when women wear like bobs and pixies. I *think* you want this, get what you want. :slight_smile: Stereotype? Who cares? I won't judge you. (*hug*)

*if* this is a symbol, let it be a symbol. Let it go? xD

3. TheStormInside

Thanks, Starfleet, you're right, I should just do what I'm going to do and if it is some kind of symbollic gesture I suppose there's no harm in that and I should let it empower me. It just feels weird to sort of fall in line behind many women who have come before me and taken similar actions. I don't want to feel like or be seen as "jumping on the lesbian bandwagon" or something. I'm still me and don't want to be viewed differently by those close to me as I come out. But I suppose dramatic life change often stirs people to take action and change themselves in some way or another to reflect that. The after breakup haircut is also a very well known stereotype :lol: .

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i did this and never felt uglier in my life

however if u have a sliver of self esteem it will be cool and hair grows back which is really cool so do it ☺

5. TheStormInside

Sliver of self esteem? Hm... might be viewable through a microscope :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry it didn't work out for you, how come you chose to cut it when you did?

I've had my hair around that length before and liked it, I'm just incredibly lazy about getting my hair cut, so it just kind of grows until I can't stand it anymore. I wouldn't go for something as short as a pixie, though, I wouldn't be able to pull that off. I'm thinking around chin-lengthish so it's not "boy short" and still a little feminine.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're trying to break the sexy scale, I see. Hm... well, do what you like, but make sure you rock it.

As for why some women might enjoy cutting their hair, following coming out, it's kind of a way of announcing a sort of personal freedom. They're severing ties to hetero-normative society, and with gender roles and expectations. It's a rebellious way of feeling good.

7. thekillingmoon

Perhaps they feel that getting a different haircut would fit better with their newly discovered identity or perhaps they feel less pressured to be feminine. I've had all kinds of short haircuts in the past 6 years. Before I had long hair pretty much through all my teenage years and early twenties, so I was bored of it and wanted to experiment with different haircuts. I never wanted to look butch, I know that's not me. Although I have wondered at some point if women would find me more attractive if I was and would I get noticed more.

You can probably tell which haircut is you and which totally isn't. Short hair can be very nice and feminine looking depending on how you style it. Once you get used to having short hair, it's kind of hard to go back to long. Every time my hair grows to shoulder length I want to cut it again, it basically starts getting in the way.

8. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what feels right. I kept my hair long for a long time, but eventually I got it cut short and haven't looked back. It's very liberating.

9. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Chin-length bobs are cute! OMG, stereotypes - I wanted to be a make-up artist/hairstylist for awhile. LOL

10. wanderinggirl

For me I cut my hair because I'd wanted to for so long, I hated long hair even though I was wearing dresses and everything; my hair was the part of my physical body I most hated, and not because it looked objectively bad: i just felt I was swimming in it. But I asked guys if they'd date a girl with short hair and so many of them said no that I kept it but was so angry about it: like "well i'm keeping this hair long so that guys will like me but if every single guy doesn't like me then what's the point!!" (my self-esteem was nyet so great...)

So pretty much the week I came out, I gave my friend a pair of scissors. It wasn't the best idea, but I felt like I was a block of marble and someone had just started carving the real me out. In fact my first few short haircuts were eh but I've since learned to get the look to work for me. I also took a while to get used to it; i'd spent years trying to be more feminine and the change, plus the inevitable concurrent rejection of societal norms, was huge for me. So to partially answer your question, it was both a product of coming out and because I wanted to, but I learned from fulfilling both reasons (if that makes sense).

My advice is look online, on pinterest, on websites; get a cut that suits your face shape and not because some celebrity has it; and don't be too attached to it if it doesn't come out perfect. Also, don't put too much stock in conventional advice: when I first cut my hair I saw articles online about how women should wear more makeup and have good skin if they have short hair, etc etc, and I gave myself major anxiety thinking that if I had a single blemish people would think my short hair was weird. And I'm not so much a female now anyways so it doesn't matter to me. Anyways, in the end, you have to rock it the way YOU want to.

As for what other people think: plenty of women chop their hair in their 30s (and before, of course); people might not necessarily associate it with sexual orientation unless you go for something really alternative. If you're going that route, go to an LGBT-friendly salon.

In any case I recommend trying chopping off your hair once, just to see what it feels like. Ya never know! And (I know this is easier said than done, but) it's just hair. It'll grow back. It could be a mistake, but luckily fall/winter/hat season is coming up so this is the time to do it.

Last word of advice: It doesn't matter if you're doing this for your own personal reasons or because you want to be more visible/stick your middle finger in society's face. It can be some combination of the two, or neither. But if you want to do it, do it. Don't judge yourself so harshly. :slight_smile:

11. TheStormInside

Thanks everyone for all of the advice :slight_smile: . It sounds like there are many reasons women might cut their hair upon coming out- or just in general. I guess thinking further every so often I go through this thing where I want to chop all of my hair off, likely once I've let it get to the point now where I just can't manage it anymore and want it out of the way. I have done some pretty drastic changes in the past, donated to a couple of hair charities, and such. This time I don't have quite enough to do that and maintain the amount of length I want, though. The shortest I've had it before was a bit above chin length, and that's around where I think I will get it cut to this time, as well.

If I look at pictures of myself I feel like I like the ones where my hair is on the shorter side best, and most like "myself." I also feel like I don't have to worry so much about heteronormative values of how women should present themselves anymore, and that is definitely an element here. And like you said, Wanderinggirl, if it doesn't come out quite how I want it'll grow back or I can cut it again. I guess because this recent urge to cut the locks has coincided with my coming out it's thrown a new element into the mix. For this cut I don't plan to do anything unconventional. Maybe I'll end up going shorter or more alternative with future cuts if I decide that's "me," maybe not. I guess I get too wrapped up in how others will perceive things and don't want this to come off as "Oh, she's a lesbian, so of course she chopped off her hair," but really, I suppose I shouldn't give a crap even if people do think that :lol: .

#11 TheStormInside, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Just don't go breaking any hearts, with your sexy new look.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

im not sure, just felt like it was time for a "change" because yeah i was starting to come out at the time ( ": i.bet yours will rock

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Short answer - Go for it. Hair will grow anyways.

15. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really, really wish I could have short hair. For so many reasons! It's easier to manage, it's less feminine. But it just does not suit me and I can't afford the cost of trims. Maybe one day I'll not care that I think it doesn't suit me, haha.

If you think it suits you, go for it! As people have said, hair grows :slight_smile:

16. Candace

Good luck with that! I hope that you feel so much better with short hair (I feel better when my hair gets cut :lol:slight_smile:. If you don't like it, it'll grow back!

17. TheStormInside

Thanks, everyone! Appointment is later today, hopefully I will not be filled with regret :lol: .

Candide- Maybe there's a style that would suit you? Next time you do go for a haircut you could ask the stylist for some suggestions, or perhaps look online for people with your face shape to get an idea of what could work well for you.

18. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Woop, good luck!! Yes I've been tempted ever since I saw your post :wink: My original aim was to have really long hair, I've never had it. But, wow, I forgot the energy that takes, and it's not even as long as I want it. Oh well, I'll see how I feel.

19. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Good for you Storm! xD We'd love to see the results, if you feel like sharing. (*hug*)

20. MyNameIsGabriel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really want to get mine cut because then when i get my binder, i can actually pass as a guy. I'm kind of leaning towards the hair Gerard Way had when it was short and bright red but darker...pfft i don't even care anymore i just want short hair