1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unconventional sexual orientation names

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jargon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jargon

Hi folks! :smilewave

So I'm curious about some terms people use to describe their sexual orientations aside from the standard straight/gay/bi. I know you can search online and find all kinds of names, but I'm most interested in finding out what terms people actually commonly use to describe themselves. I know a lot of people use terms like "queer," "pansexual," "fluid," etc.

Does anyone on here use some labels besides these to describe yourself? Or are there any interesting other ones that people you know use, or that maybe you've seen a lot of people using online?

2. Ryujin

Meet the 'Hyper-dimensionally quantum in 7+ dimensions' :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I all seriousness though, I'd like to use 'queer' ad it doesn't require me to specify who I could be attracted to, but explaining it to people who've always thought of it as a slur is not easy so I just go by 'bi', most people don't understand 'pan' as they don't understand non-binary genders.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few you will see are:

Asexual = experiencing no sexual attraction.
    Demisexual = experiencing sexual attraction only after a strong bond.
    Heteroflexible = primarily heterosexual, but is open to relationships with the same gender.
    Homoflexible = primarily homosexual, but is open to relationships with a different gender.

You can add "grey" to any of the sexual orientations and it'll basically mean "blurry" or "somewhat."

I believe I am asexual and homoflexible when it comes to my romantic orientation, but for the sake of simplicity, I just call myself gay. Unnecessary complications aren't my cup of tea, but these "unconventional" labels are handy when you need to feel like you aren't alone.

4. Bubble Bun

Bubble Bun Guest

Polysexual: A sexual attraction to most genders, not all genders though.

That's all I know, all the others are listed~

5. Candace

I just say that I'm me :lol:. That or I'm gay 80 percent of the time and just goofy for the 20 percent :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

im buttsexual

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

And then there is gynosexual, attraction to females and feminitity, and androsexual, attraction to males and masculinity.

Me, I'm just gay.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

One's I've heard
    Pansexual
    Asexual
    Demisexual
    Queer
    Fluid
    Gynosexual
    Androsexual

Personally, I sometimes use the term 'Halfsexual' since I'm half-homosexual and half-asexual

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I'd prefer if people just used the vanilla labels, but I'm okay with the occasional use of asexual. People tend to mistake "low libido" for "no sexual desire", and it's pretty rare to be an asexual, so I don't suggest using it first.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I mostly agree, though I admit that I usually call myself asexual even though the label isn't really true since I can feel sexual attraction to some extent. It's just so rare it feels not even worth mentioning.
    I would technically be considered just a regular homosexual, but the problem with that label is the fact that people tend to believe that I can get regular crushes, find women physically attractive, have sexual fantasies about women...when I don't really. I only get a crush/attraction to someone maybe once every three years, and only twice has it been a sexual kind of attraction. So I don't relate to anybody using the lesbian label either.
    So the asexual label- even though It's technically incorrect- gives people the more correct impression that I'm not really attracted to anybody. I guess kind of like how some straight women are attracted to and even experiment with women but don't fully identify with bisexuality.

Sexuality is confusing for sure, but I do agree that true asexuality is rare and less than 1% of the population.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trisexual?

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Besides here, I've used "romantic asexual" on one other site. Besides here and there, no one knows that I am asexual. I never specify. People make their assumptions. I've gotten asked if I'm gay, I say "no". Yet, no one ever asks vice-versa. If put on the spot, especially depending on who was asking, I'd probably say that I was a romantic person. Romansexual?

I have seen "Tri-gender" and "Polysexual".

13. Hexagon

I use queer because I can't really sum myself up properly. I get rather confused, and answers aren't always possible to find. But I suppose I'm somewhere between asexual and pansexual, and not very romantic either.

14. black-cat

Hahhahah *highfive

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 09:50 AM ----------

I guess technically I am bisexual, with a strong preference for girls, but I classify myself as oh so very gay because it feels better and saves time/energy.

15. RAdam

I'm straight with a preference for males. :icon_wink

16. TurtleCat

I've thought sometimes about identifying with pansexual since I feel it describes some of my feelings, for example loving people in spite of their gender, having the potential to be attracted to trans or genderqueer/genderfluid people, but I usually just go with "bisexual" since it's more widely known and accurate enough. I feel like I'd likely just confuse people if I went with the more esoteric labels, and for the most part "bisexual" fits just fine.

I dunno. I see what you're saying there, but at the same time, I wonder if a lot of times why said women don't identify as bisexual has more to do with societal programming and conditioning than anything else... for example, the cliche that a woman could have sex with a bunch of women and still be "straight," whereas if a guy so much as looks at another guy, he's gay. Also, a lot of the stigma and misconceptions that come with identifying as bisexual. Then again, I guess it's them and their sexuality and not mine, so who am I to judge or say anything. I just know that personally, my feelings for, and attraction to, other women are enough to make me feel that I'm at least bisexual.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In response to Turtlecat:

It really does depend on your interpretation.

Those women may identify as heteroflexible, I don't know.

While a lot of people group bisexuality and flexibility together, I don't blame them, really. They are very similar. But I personally see it a bit differently.

Using the Kinsey scale (even though it's hated lol):

0 = straight
    1 = heteroflexible
    2 = bisexual with a preference for another gender
    3 = bisexual with no preference
    4 = bisexual with a preference for the same gender
    5 = homoflexible
    6 = gay

Obviously people interpret it a different way. To some, 2 and 5 are simply bisexual people with an even stronger preference for some genders. So :shrug: To each their own.

18. TurtleCat

Yeah, I see what you mean. I mean, I dunno. In my experience with these "straight" women who are attracted to women and have sex with women... most of them explain it by saying they enjoy sex with women, but would never want a relationship with them. Maybe it's just hard for me to understand considering my situation... because like, personally, I felt that discovering I was attracted to women and wanted to have sex with them was what helped me discover that I DID want a full-on relationship with them and was bisexual. I don't know...

And another thing I don't get... You feel like these women you sleep with are good enough for sex, but not good enough for a relationship?? Maybe I'm just a prude... but usually, when I have sex with someone, it's because I'm either in a relationship with them, or at least desire a relationship of some kind. So it's just hard to imagine me having sex with someone with no attraction or desire of a relationship of any kind at all. ? Like I said, maybe I'm just weird or a prude.

Like I said, I guess it's different for everyone... I don't want to judge their perception of their sexuality, because other people have done the same thing to me... I remember people telling me I couldn't be bisexual or lesbian because I'd never actually had sex with a woman before. But at the same time, I admit, it does confuse me a bit, and I can't help but to wonder if their perception isn't due to societal conditioning.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 05:02 AM ----------

And another thing... some of these people describe sexual orientation primarily by your romantic feelings and who you want to spend your life with. I dunno... to me, sexual orientation is defined primarily by who are sexually attracted to and want to sleep with. Not saying romantic feelings don't play into it, because they do.... as in, most of the time, who you are romantically and sexually attracted to is intertwined, etc. who you want to fuck is also who you want to date. But at the same time, it's not, necessarily.

I mean, take into account, someone who sleeps with both genders, but doesn't desire a romantic relationship with either. This person is obviously not asexual, because they are sexually attracted to, and desire sex with, both sexes. Or most straight men, who enjoy casual, NSA sex with women, but don't necessarily want a relationship. I mean, I just honestly feel like romantic feelings don't play a whole lot into sexual orientation. I feel like who you want to sleep with is the most deciding factor. <shrugs>

Like I said, I realize it's different for everyone... and I don't necessarily want to pass judgment because like I said, in the past I have been judged for how I defined my sexuality... but just saying, that's personally not how *I* define sexuality. Is all.

#18 TurtleCat, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with her.

20. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identified as pan for a little while because it felt easier to use with not much explaining. But I've only had two female crushes and they weren't super strong, so I identified myself mostly based on my gay side.