1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate gender roles....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 101DeadRoses, Sep 30, 2014.

1. 101DeadRoses

Seriously, WHY? Why do people expect women to act a certain way, and men another? It doesn't make sense... Women (I am referring to the sex of female, not the gender) may have kids and bleed out their vaginas montly, but that doesn't make us weak! I'd like to see a man bleed profusely for seven days without dying!!
    And why are men expected to be super strong and muscular, and never have any emotions? WTF?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

In some ways I act like a stereotypical woman and in others, a stereotypical man. And I think that's normal for anybody considering we're all a little "bigender" when it comes to socially constructed behaviors. Which is why putting gender in a role is pretty dumb.

I especially hate how heteronormative it is, and hell it even hurts straight people.

There are masculine straight girls and feminine straight guys. There are feminine lesbians and masculine gay guys. And hell, there are even masculine trans women and feminine trans men. So It's ridiculous to assume everyone goes in a box.

3. wanderinggirl

Most people don't seriously question these roles, but I imagine a much larger percentage of people than you think are uncomfortable with these roles.

There are articles coming out on how expectations of masculinity are hurting young boys; not as many on how expectations of femininity are hurting young girls, but I'd assume it goes both ways.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate them, too

I just bought a nice wallet, it's very elegant, I never used one of those wallets before. It's a girls wallet (I always had wallets designed for boys) but it's BLACK. Not RED, not PINK, not PURPLE but BLACK. A neutral color, still people stare at me and ask me question

I simply answer to them: things and colors DON'T HAVE SEX NOR SEXUAL ORIENTATION

5. Yosia

I cant be doing with gender roles. I think this world would be so much better if we were all born as all the same sex which could reproduce with eachother. Then there wouldnt be any gender discrimination or stereotyping.

6. TurtleCat

Hmm. I don't think I hate gender roles in and of themselves necessarily, but I do hate how they're enforced on society and people are judged if they differ in any way. For example, I think that if people are comfortable conforming to the traditional gender roles, more power to them, but if they're not, then they certainly should not be judged or condemned.

I especially hate how much men are judged. It seems more socially accepted for women to act outside their traditional role, but the second a man acts as what is perceived as "effeminate" or not manly, he's treated with disgust and scorn. I wish we had a society where people were free to act as however they pleased.

At the same time, I say I don't necessarily hate them though, because in a way I love being the stereotypical "girly girl." I love looking pretty and having long hair, I love anything cute or colorful. But I also love being able to act outside those norms and expectations if I desire to.

7. gzman02

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised by a single father who cooked, cleaned and held me when I was hurt. I made sure my daughter e r could fight and my son could cook and clean. However most of their friends are also like this.
    I'm not sure what traditional gender roles are.

8. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I have always been different. I was a guy that was into military stuff - my 1st chapter book was Guadalcanal Diary, about the Marines, when I was 5. But, I played Barbie with my sister, loved to look at dresses, shoes, and cosmetics in magazines, stuff like that. I got more miserable as I got older, and never fit in anywhere no matter how hard I tried.

Finally, and just a few days ago, I accept the truth. I am a woman, inside. :slight_smile: I'm enjoying being a girl now. xD It's what I've always wanted, and I'm enjoying that I feel free to show emotion, to hug, be affectionate, and cry. :slight_smile:

But I still enjoy armored vehicles, jets, and military history. If Anypony wants to talk World War 2 or Napoleonic history with a Diva, I'm ready! xD

9. Abdadhie

You know, if I had it my way there would be no gender. Fuck, gender sucks. Sorry for swears.

10. Hexagon

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg :thumbsup:

12. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gender roles are complete bullshit. There, I said it.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mhm, and it's even more disheartening to see them played out in queer communities. I think as long as biological differences exist between the sexes, roles, traits, and perceptions are going to exist to some degree. That doesn't mean they have to be so damned exaggerated.

If someone wants to live that way, fine, but why pressure others to conform to your standards? Why is it so important for men to be one way, and women to be another? At some point, people say, "That's the way it's always been, the way it should be" without actually being able to explain it logically.

I guess people still think women are for making babies, and men are for fathering as many children possible...

14. Candace

I hate gender roles as well. I like certain things because I can, dammit! Is there a law that says I can't like Disney movies, or talk about fashion? Seriously :dry:

15. 101DeadRoses

And another thing I just don't get... why do people insist on hating and bullying someone for their looks? Don't like it? FINE. I DON'T CARE. Think I'm crazy for liking what I like? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware it was your body... And you shouldn't think me crazy for my fashion sense, you should think me crazy for the dead hookers in my basement.

16. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

BHA-HAA-ha! :slight_smile:

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gender roles are just another thing to jump over and ignore, a stone in the middle of the road. As someone said, f them... Just another set of stupid rules to break. Unless you are happy following them. The problem is when you try to impose them on others :/

18. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think...if we didn't have gender roles, then the binary wouldn't exist. A lot of us wouldn't be stressed out because we don't fit them. And even those of us who have dysphoria would probably feel a bit better. I don't know...I feel like all gender roles do is make things complicated and hurt people.
    So...like you said. Who gives a :***:? It shouldn't matter, and it definitely shouldn't be construed as bizarre to not fit them, because they shouldn't exist.

19. thekillingmoon

I guess, people usually don't question these things. It's only when they're struggling to fit in with the said gender roles, they realize they don't need them. I don't like enforcing of gender stereotypes, we're all individuals.

20. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yeah its dumb, and they are so heavily tied to homosexuality too thqt it is upsetting