1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are sentimental gifts to a best friend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by h4rmony, Oct 1, 2014.

1. h4rmony

h4rmony Guest

My friend is planning to do or get something for me for my birthday but he's keeping it a surprise. He's been my best friend for the longest time, and I feel he really is a brother to me. Im gay, he's straight (I know for a fact), but in spite of that our friendship the closest thing ever and we're pretty intimate together. #thecouplethatneverwas

So question is... what is a gift to a best friend (I don't know if me being gay matters on the gift) that is sentimental, NOT an object, and not music/writing related (song written or poem)?

Just shout out some ideas cause for weeks of thinking i have no clue, even though I know him inside and out.

#1 h4rmony, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: What are sedimental gifts to a best friend?

I think you mean sentimental. Sediment is naturally-occurring eroded/weathered material which has been transported by wind, water, gravity, or whatever. Sentiment is feelings, something he'll be able to warmly reflect on.

The only option you've really left is just spending time with him. Perhaps throw him a party or a dinner. Anything that will let him really enjoy the time. Write a card, take pictures, etc., so that he can look back on it if he wants.

I've seen people put together little scrapbooks of things they've done with their friend on a birthday, and it tends to be a sweet idea. But that's an object.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Maybe do something you've always enjoyed doing together, or several such things, whether that involves hiking, biking or something outdoors, or something like watching a favorite show/anime/movie...hard to say exactly, but something that triggers memories/emotions that you both relate to.

4. Blossom85

Is this ideas of what your friend might be giving you? Isn't it called a surprise for a reason lol...

My advice I think stop worrying about it and stressing over it.. He seems like he must be pretty confident on the fact you will like whatever he has got you, so I think if you try to find out beforehand, it might take away from the whole thing when he gives you the gift, so let it go and just let it be a surprise for you.

5. Ryujin

Sandstone.

6. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

My best friend's birthday is on Wednesday, and I bought her a ticket to one of our favourite band's shows. We had been planning to go already but she couldn't afford it so I took the oppurtunity and bought it for her :lol:

So tickets for something you can both enjoy together is an idea. Like a gig or a play or a football game.. Whatever tickles your pickle.

Butthat being said I agree with the others, you should just experience the surprise, it'll be more fun for both of you.

7. Hexagon

A nice beach

8. Sitri

Just don't take him for granite. I mean, it's not too slate, you don't have to gravel. You shale come out on top. It doesn't have to be anything he would marble at.

I'm so sorry. Those were complete schist.

#8 Sitri, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  9. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You rock! Do a cobble more, oh clay? I'll of coarse sand you a virtual hug if you do!

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

According to Dr. Gary Chapman, there are five "love languages". In a relationship, and that includes a deep friendship, it is helpful to know which one your significant other uses and which one you use. This could help you in determine what is the most appropriate thing he can do for you on this occasion.

Check this site.

11. LD579

At the risk of sounding ordinary, object gifts are pretty good not only for practical purposes but also because they can be physical manifestations or symbols of things. What greatwhale linked is also helpful. Some people like practical gifts, while other people appreciate the more sentimental things, and then others like being showered with tons of trinkets. If there're any things that're special or funny between you two as inside jokes or references, you could allude to those. Ultimately, it's the thought that counts and I'm sure your friend'll appreciate whatever it is that you do or give regardless =] If he likes music, maybe get him something related to a band or singer that he likes, and so on. Necklaces or bracelets are things that not all guys like but if you think he'd like one and would wear it, you could try to find one, and so on.

On a side note, if you're interested in this kind of thing, the book that greatwhale's talking about is pretty easy and short to read.