1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your thoughts on polygamy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blossom85, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Blossom85

I am sitting here watching 'Girls next door' and the episode is about Holly and Hef's fifth anniversary.. He also at that point had Bridget and Kendra as his girlfriends as well. Holly was his primary relationship whereas I think the other two were kind of secondary relationships to him, however none of the other girls were allowed to see other men during their time being his girlfriends.

My mum also watches a reality show called sister wives where one man is legally married to his first wife, but also has three other wives (not legally his wives).

I am just wondering what people's thoughts and opinions are on that, regardless of sexual orientation you are.. What is your stance on that.. I think it more or so comes down to if you are a monogamous person or not.

Even though I am yet to have held a proper relationship, my only one being an online romance, I am still very much monogamous.. I would never have even considered finding someone else to be with physically whilst being emotionally involved online with someone, yet despite myself being a monogamous person, I don't judge others who want to live their lives as a polygamist. If that is how they wanna live their lives and they are happy and content, who is it for others to judge it. That is how I see it..

I honestly don't really understand it, I can't see myself falling for two people at the same time or wanna be in a relationship with two or people at one time, but I wouldn't want to try to stop others from living their lives as they want to, as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

What are all of your thoughts on this? I haven't really seen it come up very much around this forum and just thought whilst it was fresh in my mind after watching GND, I'd bring it up here.

2. Hexagon

I'm strongly in favour of freedom. Unless people are getting hurt or forced into a relationship, then it really isn't my business what form it takes. It doesn't matter if I understand it or not.

I'd just like to point out that most people who aren't monogamous prefer the term polyamory.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't judge them. If the persons involved in the polygamous relationship are happy (and of legal age and such), then I don't mind.

That being said, I am monogamous and I would never want to be in a polygamous relationship. I wouldn't be okay with it. I know it will create tension for me, it doesn't feel right for me. If I gave one more attention than the other, I would be sorry for the other. I think I would be very sad in such a relationship.

Briefly, I would never engage in a polygamous relationship, but I don't condemn it at all.

4. AsheTheHuman

I consider myself monogamous, but if a partner were to bring up the possibility, I wouldn't immediately reject it. Of course, all three (or more) of us would have to be in agreement over so many things,I don't think it'd ever really be a possibility. So not likely, but open to the idea. As for other people... I don't care. If it makes all of you happy, than go for it.

5. White Knight

If people are okay in that kind of relationship, it is okay. Not for me tho'. I don't like to share my man or have ability to love more than one men equally. Sooner or later I would favor one over other... conclusion... drama and broken hearts.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people worry more about consensual polyamory than they do about the issue of consent.

I would rather not devote my time to disrupting people's lives unnecessarily. I believe absolutely that my choices should not have to be the limit for others. Polyamorous relationships up to and including marriage don't harm me, nor do they cause any more harm than monogamous marriage. I'll stand behind a movement to allow it. After all, it's not as if the most fervent opponents of it are on our side as the LGBT community.

#6 Aussie792, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. thekillingmoon

Same here. I don't understand it at all, seems like a hassle to me to be with more than one person at the same time. And I'd never want to share my lover with anyone. I don't really care what other people do, it only annoys me when they say no one is monogamous like it's a fact. I find that offensive. Maybe they're not, I know I am.

8. Incognito10

Just because it most likely would not work out for me, doesn't mean I have a desire to stop others from doing what works for them--we're all different and diverse. Ultimately, if the people involved are all happy and in agreement, it's their business and I can totally support their relationship.

9. fulcrum

The only thing I have against it is that its a one way privilege. You dont hear of women married to multiple husbands, with the husbands having to share the primary's time. So for me its essentially glorified concubines. If thats what some women are willing to live with, who am I to judge. I just think its unfair.

Polyamory has more fairness in it, it think. Cannot see myself in either of those two relationship types. I prefer monogamy.

10. TurtleCat

Personally, I have no problems with anything anyone does as long as it's all between consenting adults. As for myself, I used to be strictly monogamous, but as of fairly recently, I started exploring polyamory as I felt like I wanted a girlfriend and my husband was OK with it.

11. ewacebula

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I don't agree with it. To each their own though. I would end up feeling bad for the others in the relationship or I would get jealous myself. Too much work too, having to organize your time with every woman. I prefer to keep it simple and with one woman. :slight_smile:

12. White Knight

A little detail I didn't tought earlier. I was talking about willing participants of the polygamy.

In many Middle East countries, including here, there is a tradition of having more than one wife. That one is done without the consent... hmm well they want it but they think there ain't any other choices for them out there... That one is disgusting, humiliating for women and in most cases dance very close to slavery.

In the end while that polygamy I mentioned is abhorent, still better than many options available for women in Turkey... even in 21st century.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not for me:dry:,

14. Doudline

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This!

My boat will not -in a foreseeable future, at least- float on these waters, but if yours do and all its passengers are happy... good for you!

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Whatever people wanna do. I don't judge

16. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally it's not for me, but I fully respect polygamy and I think it's perfectly fine.

My general rule of thumb is that as long as it's between fully informed and consenting adults, and it's healthy and happy between everyone, then I have no protest against it. :slight_smile:

17. Ryujin

I don't have a problem with polyamoury and would probably be open to a polyamourus relationship as well.

Of course, it goes without saying that consent is requires, as in any relationship.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

crazy train that is absolutely none of my business so ppl can do what they want so long as of age consensual etc etc

#18 asdfghjk, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  19. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I agree with many of you - I really don't think *I* could do it, but I don't want to limit the choices of consenting adults. Live and let live.

20. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if all parties fully and knowingly consent I don't have a problem with anything.
    I personally couldn't. I'd be way too jealous.