1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are other languages important?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biisme, Sep 22, 2008.

1. biisme

For my Spanish class I need to create a powerpoint that addresses why other languages are important? What does one gain by knowing another language?

I have ideas, but I was interested in what you guys think.

2. EM68

A couple of things come to mind. Right now with the the economy being global its important to communicate to others. Yes in most countries they teach English but I personally think that it is better to know their language. From learning another language you also learn about their culture. I believe that in the next decade or so China and India will be the largest economies in the world. Understanding their culture will be very important in doing business with them. That my 2 cents...Hope your project goes well.

3. biisme

Also, why it's important to study another language even if you're never going to leave the US.

4. littledinosaurs

Culture is extremely important (its actaully everything) with dealing with the world and by learning a language you can better understand someone else's culture and communicate with them better.

5. Nixon

So you don't have to read subtitles in movies <:

6. biisme

i can actually use that as a joke

"if all these important reasons aren't enough, here's one superficial reason: so that you can get the full impact of a foreign film without having to be bothered by silly subtitiles"

7. littledinosaurs

haha even when the movie is in english for some reason i can't help but read the subtitles :redface:

8. epiphanies

It helps you better understand your own language (better vocab, and grammar.) For instance, you learn about passive voice, indirect objects, and direct objects. I don't know about you, but I learned it a lot better when I took Spanish.

9. davo-man

Haha, I totally do that too. I really dislike watching any movies without subtitles, dunno, why.

As for reasons to learn another language: Isn't it true that in America like hell heaps of people have Spanish as their first language? If you learn Spanish, then you can help translate in emergencies, like if a Spanish person is in a car crash/needs to go to hospital...or if they get lost or something...I dunno, I just remember that on Scrubs they said something like 1/3 of Americans have Spanish as their first language or something...I may be completely wrong though

10. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Every single languages open a whole more opportunities. You might get a better job, even a job in a foreign country that requires you to speak two languages, English and the local language where you're going. Both as a student and a professional, being bilingual means having as twice as much information sources in the web, in libraries, etc. Also with all the immigration, being multilingual in the customer service and public relations area is a big plus. Even if you're not going to leave your country, having a very good understanding of a second language (as me, my first language is Spanish) will open up more job opportunities, and you can even get a job that allows you to work from your home and use both languages you know.

Everyday use as well: If you're in the US, more likely you'll find Latin-American or Spaniards on the grocery store, or the bank, or any public place you go. You will be able to be an active part of the community by helping people having language barriers problems to figure out what to do/where they need to go. All of this helps to stop racism and discrimination.

And for a more shallow use: It can allow you to read your foreign food's Nutritional Facts. You will be able to say sweet things to your partner in a different language, and we all like to hear "Te amo, mi vida" or it's equivalent in many other languages. Plus, you have twice as more cuss words to use to yell at stupid drivers or customer care representatives.

11. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

if ur using it as a joke i wouldn't phrase it like that!

12. sdc91

So you can meet and talk to hot German boys?

A little too specific? Oh...

But in all seriousness, I think it helps you understand a culture better, which gives you greater appreciation for differences in the world. Which leads to a better world!

13. jbb1236

I believe the number one reason to learn a new language is to open up your mind. I remember taking Spanish in high school and it really made me think about things. Questions like if Azule is blue in Spanish maybe blue isn't actually blue, maybe it's green or something else. More or less it opened my mind to the possibility that what I had previously believed as Truth, was no longer infallible. It was a lot like taking a philosophy class, but not really.

14. Matty

You overcome language barriers and have your own ideas challenged and compared with those of others with different perceptions, making you a stronger person. As said before, you learn more about the structure of language in general...

I have studied French, Spanish, and now German (even though I've never visited their countries of origin)...my mind is open to so much more than just what one culture offers. It is so important to think outside of your safety net in order to progress and improve.

15. JayC

JayC Guest

i dont mean to sound boring here but Latin is a GREAT language to know. true it's a dead language but iif your going into any kind of science in college it is great to know so u can understand the scientific names of things.

16. LorenzG1950

Hi biisme

Languages are the gateway to communication and are critical for maximizing your career choices (and income), even if you don’t plan to leave the country. I never planned on my career with the US Army, or living in Germany. Neither would have been possible if I hadn’t taken German in High School and college, and spoken it with my parents and family.

Speaking a second or third language allows you to watch the news on multiple channels and read newspapers with different angles on the same story. Books, magazines, movies, music, boyfriends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :icon_bigg, restaurant menus, Internet, web sites like EC, you have at least double the opportunities compared to those who only know one language. When you travel, you’ll be able to communicate with more people and understand other cultures and customs, without having someone translate for you.

A second language has given me opportunities I would never have dreamed of when I was going to High School. I just took my second language for granted. Now I write or translate speeches for generals and mayors and would not have my job if I wasn’t fluent in two languages.

Two weeks ago when a good friend of mine died of a stroke, I was able to deliver a great eulogy in German at the funeral. That meant a lot to me and his family. Nuff said.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this subject? :slight_smile:

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I think knowing other languages opens up new ways to look at the world. We sometimes don't realise how our view of the world and our thought patterns are influenced and constricted by the language we use, until we look at somebody else's way of expressing thoughts. The more languages you know, the more ways of looking at the world you know.

18. biisme

I completely love this. You have no idea. :icon_bigg

19. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I scanned through many of the responses and agree that it's a great way to learn about other cultures...but futhermore, about how we are all interconnected through language.

For instance, if you learn French, you can see how the roots of their words trace back to latin, as do our words...so you can actually improve your english language skills through taking a language like french! C'est tres bien!