1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia and life rant. Any one else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Abdadhie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Abdadhie

So I live in the blue mountains, its about 2 hours out of sydney and its a very monocultural, not so much cultural diversity. My suburb, surrounding suburbs and school is littered with what we call 'lads'. Lads a pretty much scum. Racist, foul, ugly, feisty ect, ect. One told my asian friend to 'get back to where you come from'.

I have relatively extensive travel through Europe and have lived in England and Germany. All this travel has made me realise how much I hate my country, immediate surroundings, company and life. My only things I have to help me get through the day are Music (I play drums, guitar, piano and listen to 3+ hours a day) and Aviation. I'm a keen spotter. I think about Aviation wayy more then sex (which for a 14 year old boy is very abnormal). I feel like, although I have enough friends, I cop a fair bit of discrimination from other boys who think I'm hitting on them when actually I wouldn't touch them with a 10 inch poll because they are dicks. I had a different upbringing to most of them because, like I said its fairly monocultural and I have a pretty woggy upbringing (with a hint of dutch :wink:).

Do any else of you feel this way? I'm sorry for ranting but, as 360 said 'Hope you don't mind if I spill my pain, the longer that I don't I feel I'm going insane'.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's more an issue of exactly where you are; the furthest-flung Western suburbs of Sydney are not like Canberra, Eastern Sydney, Adelaide, or Inner Melbourne etc. There's more to look forward to, as long as you can manage the next few years, if you can't leave.

Once you get to university age (do you intend to go to university?), you might be able to escape that world. Just hang in there, and you'll find people like you further on. And some, though not all, of those "lads" will mature a bit.

#2 Aussie792, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  3. Blossom85

To be honest, where I am.. I love living here. I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else, so I can't say I feel the same way at all. I feel very lucky to have been born and raised and still live where I do. We have beaches, the lake, the ocean all around us and we still have nature around us too.

4. Abdadhie

Oh god, I can't wait for uni!

5. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plenty of lads in England, too. Laddish behaviour is fairly common all over the Western world... but things get dramatically better as your peer group matures. I don't think this is necessarily a problem of where you are, but I'll take your word for it that things are particularly bad in some Australian suburbs.

As someone with a highly heterogenous background, I sympathise with your concern over the bigotry of the kids (just kids right?) in your neighbourhood. Racial consciousness, ethnic chauvinism etc. do seem to be attributes that are basically provincial; in that sense you are right that your feelings of discomfort relate to where you are.