1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A not-so-happy birthday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeePee, Oct 3, 2014.

1. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello. Today is my 24th birthday. When i was younger birthdays were exciting days for me, even though i had only one birthday party. I often looked foward to them. All they do now is get me all down and depressed. It's like they are a reminder of how i'm getting old without any significant achievement. Of course i'm in school and i have stuff to look foward to but with each year i feel the pressure mounting on me, on almost all areas of my life. Anyone ever feel sad about growing up or their b-days?

2. Blossom85

Hi there,

I'll wish you a happy birthday to start with :slight_smile:

I love my birthdays, it's only a number and you only are as old as you feel.. Growing up is just a natural part of life and it's something I choose to be positive about rather then negative. I hope you do manage to have a lovely day, 24 is still very young Hun, so don't worry about your age at all.

3. CyanChachki

Happy Birthday!

This is something that I like to call "a quarter life crisis".. kinda like a midlife crisis but much younger. Yes, I have felt it before but by the time I turned 26 I got over it and told myself that there's nothing wrong with the way I live my life.the thing is that you're still fairly young at 24. You still have another 7 and a half decades to live and if you can think about how long it took you to get here right now, you can imagine how long it's going to be moving forward. You always have time to do things, to experience life in your own way. There is no age limit on when you should be doing this or that with your life, it's all up to you and when you get around to it. There's nothing wrong with going out on a Friday night or doing some extreme skydiving at the age of 40. Nothing wrong with it at the age of 60, 70 or 80 either :slight_smile:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off happy birthday :slight_smile: (*hug*)
    2nd don't worry 24 is young u have your whole life ahead of you
    3rdly I know how u feel my dad almost died on my 14th birthday

5. edgy

edgy Guest

My birthday usually passes by with me not caring until someone says something

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure it's no consolation TeePee, but I've seen quite a few more birthdays come and go than you and they mean nothing to me now. My partner tries to make it a special day for me and I love him loads for that, but more often than not I find myself working or doing some other chore. In truth, my birthday is rather inconvenient and I have better days throughout the year than my birthday.

As nice as it is to have a special date on the calendar to celebrate, we can get a little carried away by placing too much emphasis on it. We can build it up into a big event and feel a little deflated at the end of the day.

The fact is, you didn't choose the day, your parents didn't choose the day. Nature randomly selected October 4th as your birthday.

So rather than wish you Happy Birthday, I will simply wish you Happy Days TeePee (to pinch a phrase used by RadioactiveBi).

7. shinji

shinji Guest

Happy birthday!

(>^_^)><(^o^<)

As for not liking your birthday... You are basically like me, so here's an advice!

Don't think that you MUST have a party with friends and family and all that on your birthday, instead, take the day for yourself, go out... pamper yourself. Massage, sauna, eat out with one friend or two, doesn't have to be a whole group. Or go to a club. Birthday parties are overrated....

8. thekillingmoon

Yeah I don't even celebrate my birthdays anymore. Just treat them as a regular day.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy Birthday!

As with PatrickUK, I have seem more than twice the number of b-days you have, and still I don't think I have accomplished all that I would like. Nevertheless, I will tell you that, although you may not perceive to have made progress in your life, it is not as simple as looking around and declaring that you aren't where you think you should be.

In life, there is this concept of non-linearity: it means, simply, that although you may be generating a lot of effort, you may not see the result of these efforts until much later. It is not a linear correlation: so much x will give so much y in a nice linear progression. It is much more disjointed than that. What happens more often is the sudden breakthrough, or a sudden crystallization and everything comes together.

Naturally this requires a lot of faith. It is the faith that, despite no apparent progress, we are making progress...toward that day when everything falls into place.

Happy Birthday, and have faith, your life will make sense...eventually!

10. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 31 on Tuesday. I decided not to care too much about birthdays, the only say to stop them is to die! Soo many people are obsessed with age, just enjoy yourself and everyone else for who they are. The older you get the wiser you become too! :slight_smile:

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That a fact? :lol:

12. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes...

Sometimes we compare ourselves too much with others... instead of listening to the inner voices and doing what does us good...

You might just use the day to do what you really like...

Happy birthday retrospectively (*hug*)