1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Online Persona (poll)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterTinkles, Oct 4, 2014.

?

How close is your online persona to your TRUE personality?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2015.
  1. My online persona is completely nothing like me

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. My online persona is about 25% of the real me

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. My online persona is about 50% of the real me

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. My online persona is about 75% of the real me

44 vote(s)
    47.3%
  5. I am completely the same in real life, as my online persona

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. MisterTinkles

I have been a "student" of human nature and human psychology pretty much all of my life....observing people, how they act, what they do, how they speak......and what certain people/groups/cultures do certain ways that get them labeled and stereotyped.

One's online persona is one of these varying personality traits that a lot of people have.

Most people lie online, simply because they have the computer to hide them. They know they will never meet the person or persons on the other end of that data stream, so they get to be anyone they choose to be. Which is why being online in public forums is so chancy and even dangerous....depending on your intended use of online sources.

An online persona for most people is just a way to "get away from it all", whatever it may be....loneliness, hostile home life, boredom, looking for "Mr. Goodbar", seeking friends, etc.....

And it goes without saying, that most of these online persona's are not real. Even if some are, you don't know that for sure. People feel free online, to be themselves, or to be someone or something they fantasize being. So, it's no wonder that a lot of people who DO meet up in person, after meeting online, are subjected to a huge "let down" and become depressed.

Now, all that being said......

On this online chat forum, are YOU honest in your online persona on here?

You can take the poll, nobody will know who you are.

You can also explain yourself in a reply post if you want.

[​IMG]

#1 MisterTinkles, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Ryujin

I don't fit into any of those options.
    My online person is the real me. It's how I want to act, want to talk, want to be. But it's different to my offline persona because ik so shy offline. I don't express myself fully offline like I can online.

3. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more truthful online than offline.
    This person is really me, and the offline person is the lie.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's exactly how I am! :icon_bigg Why would I want to fake it?

5. MisterTinkles

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Nobody is ever the exact same online and in person.

It is human nature to take liberties with being "anonymous"

#5 MisterTinkles, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Blossom85

How I am, the me you have all come to know through this forum is how I am in real life. I do at times get moody and obviously have my down days or days when I am upset or cranky at people and might even be bitchy at times, but I am everything you have seen here. I couldn't not be myself here, it just isn't in me to be someone else on a forum. I am actually more honest here and share more of myself here then offline so you guys probably know more of me then a lot of people offline that I interact with.

7. Kabuki

This is my real persona. I might be less outspoken in real life but, I'm slowly getting to the point where, my outspokenness from here is reflecting in real life. So yeah, I'm completely the same person. I don't like creating a false persona, even more so, on a place where being genuine is completely necessary, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

8. JessieRayne

My own little corner in my own little world
    i choose 25% .. i mean.. the person i am on here.. is how i WANT to be like.. I want to be confident.. and.. funny.. and be able to talk more freely and seem more normal.. but in real life thats not me.. Im not social in real life.. i actually don't talk at all. Im not confident, Im beyond shy and have horrible anxiety around people, and I'm everything but normal.

Though, either way, I'm still me online and not online.. online is just the person id rather be. .-.

9. Hexagon

I'm out as trans online, not offline.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I feel no need to fake my personality. I am EXACTLY the same offline and online.

Especially now that I am out to my family (who are really the only people I talk to offline)

11. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't really sure which option to choose. I'm still me online, I just express more of the things I'd normally hide in real life. For example, the majority of the people I know in real life don't know I use this site and don't even know I like girls.

I think part of it is based on my social anxiety.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about an option of "I don't feel like I can know whether my online 'persona' is exactly like 'the real me'"?

To me there is no "persona"...and I highly question what we even mean by "the real me". I am typing these words...here...in the real world. Doesn't that make it the real me? And yet of course we behave differently in different social situations: at work vs. at home vs. when friends are over vs. at a bar/restaurant/party/any other of a host of different circumstances. Are those all different personas? Are they truly distinct from "the real me"? If so, when does this "real me" surface? Or is the "real me" this hypothetical "self-actualized" me that we hear about from Maslow? In which case, if you've never achieved self-actualization, how can you say how close *this* particular persona is to the "real you"?

Or do you really mean "how consistent with your array of non-online personas is your persona on EC?" If that's the question, I'd say close to 100%.

Glad ya don't know me IRL? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Yosia

My online persona is my true self, my offline one is like 50% myself.

14. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My online persona is the real me, because I don't have to pretend to be something Im not, so I act like myself. But in the real world, I act like everything I'm not. I feel more trapped in the real world, surrounded on all sides. But online, I'm free. those walls have been knocked down for a little while, and I am me.

15. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My online persona is where I can be confident and truly be myself. I turn into a really shy person in real life, and I hardly let out how I feel when in a face to face conversation with someone.

I've always liked anonymous communication. I can be myself and not freeze up. Without people judging me based on my appearance and such, they can judge me based on my personality instead.

16. black-cat

I'm more confident online, but aside from that I'm the same, so if I'm comfortable around you in "real life", I'm identical to who I am online, haha.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know. I guess I'm more polite on this forum. Insulting someone on here would get me banned, so I have to restrain myself if I think someone has said something really stupid (which isn't often), whereas in real life I can call someone a fucking idiot without any repercussions.

18. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

The only difference is that I'm nowhere near as out in real life and I can be quite shy. It takes me a while to open up to people.

19. TheStormInside

You see a lot more of me here online than others do in the "real world." I write a lot more than I speak. I am a lot more open and share much more of myself. I do feel like if I met others in the real world that I knew online they may be let down, because I have a much harder time opening up and communicating in person. I have made one friend (outside of this site) through the internet that has become a long distance IRL friend, though, so hopefully that means I wasn't a terrible disappointment. :slight_smile:

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty much me, but on here, I am a normal guy. It's awesome.