1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Are We Here

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kageshiro, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Members who have been here at least a few months or so and visit/post regularly, what is it you originally joined EC for? Do you feel you've found whatever it was you were looking for when you first logged in? Are you still here for that same reason, whichever it is, or a different one? I'm curious~

2. Ryujin

I originally came to find help about my romantic orientation, but now I've found that, I come here because of the amazing people, the interesting discussions and the sense of community which thrives here.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came here for advice and support about coming out. I've been out for almost a year now, so I guess EC has served its MAIN purpose for me. I've stayed because of all the "me's" still out there, afraid to come out and afraid to accept themselves. I want to be able to help them. I've also stayed because I've made a lot of good friends here, and I don't want that to end.

#3 BryanM, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I joined it because I was really confused and lost about my sexuality; I was struggling a lot with who I was, trying to find out who I am. I came here for some advice and insight, and I did find some really useful posts :slight_smile:

Now I'm staying 'cus this is a great community, and I'm learning more and more every day as well.

I must add it's a great place to give and receive advice and just have a friendly chat in an accepting place.

#4 Alder, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came here because I had no idea what to do with coming out and felt alone.

I stay because I like some people here, and feel I can do at least some good.

6. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I originally surfaced on here after a late night Googling session but then after about eight months I left as I felt I didn't really fit in with the majority of the people on here but then in August I returned as I began to miss certain users on here.

7. Blossom85

I find this site randomly after typing something into google search (not sure what key terms I wrote though lol) and I decided to join as I was still feeling unsure of my self and what my sexuality really was and I thought finding strength and support in people that would understand what I was going through would be a big help to me. Since being here, I have pretty much sorted myself out, figured I am on the cusp on bi/pan and even came out more to my mum which I couldn't have felt ready for without the support and care of everyone here, so I appreciate all of you for just being the wonderful and amazing people you are.

Being here as given me more of an understanding of the LGBT community as a whole and I stay here because I love be able to support and help others who are in the position I was in, and I honestly feel relaxed and at home when I am here. Apart from my own family, no community in any form has ever made me feel as accepted and welcomed as I do here, so why would I ever wanna leave when I feel like it's my second home.

8. Hexagon

Oh, I was about to get philosophical.

I'm here because I have no social life.

9. alaisema

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So honest :slight_smile:)

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Feel free to answer in that sense as well if you so desire. I don't believe our existance has any inherent meaning, only what we perceive and project onto it. Thinking into it any further never does much besides give me a headache

For me, I joined hoping to become part of a community I truly belong with, though even after being here 2 years that's something I'm still looking for. I suppose I always will be

11. Kabuki

I came here because I was already at my limit. I had tried everything to change what I am and the failures were taking a toll on me. I was not right, I felt too miserable so I decided to take a step into changing all that. I'm really grateful to have found this place because, I learned more about myself, about LGTB+ and what it meant being one. (I always had a bad image of the community) I've come really far. I came out to my mom (we are Pentecostal) and via FB. I don't need to hide anymore and I'm sooo much happier now. I also, for the first time, have someone I really like and wish to be with so, there's that too. :grin:

I'm still here because I love the community. This place is like a second home, like Blossom said. I learn from you guys so much, I can't be thankful enough for that. This is a wonderful place to be in. I don't know where I would be now if it wasn't for EC. (*hug*)

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I came here because I was confused about my gender identity and needed support.

I'm still here because this is a great, accepting community, and I can be seen as a guy.

13. Candace

To find more people that were LGBT friendly and could help me with my personal issues.

14. MisterTinkles

I'm here because Mister Sparkles always needs more worshipers.
    :roflmao:

[​IMG]

Well, I got "banned" from one site cause the site admin was a complete hypocritical douchebag. So many of us left that site and went to other sites.

Then the site I went to after that, the admin ended up being a lying, hypocritical douchebag.....so I left that site.

And now Im on this site.

I do this cause Im pretty much bored.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figure the reason I am here (in the sense of "why are we here?") is that everywhere else is taken.

But in terms of Empty Closets:

I was (and am) a member of another site that claimed to be a community for bisexuals and those who cared about them. Over a few years (despite meeting some awesome people and making some lasting friendships) I noted the place drifting in a rather unsavory direction...and then I flat-out saw the site owner referring to the site as a "hook-up site". I had no interest in being on a hook-up site...I have a partner, tyvm. I was interested in that sense of community. So that night I started looking about for an alternative. And found EC.

It took me a while to feel I fit in here...this place caters to a *much* younger crowd than the other site (not that you aren't all awesome, but for some issues, it's nice to have a decent number of people my own age, or older). But then they added the "Later in Life" forum, and that seems to have upped the average age on the site somewhat, without changing the awesome community feel.

So yeah, I stay because I feel like this site does give me some of what I want/need, and I also feel that I have some valuable perspectives to contribute here and there.

16. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wanted to find a place where I fit in and feel accepted and someplace where I could express myself and discover who I really am. EC has helped me with that. :slight_smile:

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was searching for something (maybe advice on coming out?) and came across a link to a thread on here. I joined pretty much immedietely, since it looked like a cool place. ^.^

Edit: And yeah, I guess it did serve its purpose, because I really enjoy EC, and I have been able to come out to my parents, sister, and friends at school.

18. shinji

shinji Guest

I came here to read other people's problems so as to feel better about my shitty existence. Then i saw that people were actually nice and understanding, giving out helpful advices and so i decided... "hmm, maybe i should try and "fit" in?". So here i am! Aren't you all glad to have me? :3

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came here post-coming out, and post-accepting my sexuality. So why would I join? Well, I know very few LGBTQ people in real life. I never get to talk about LGBTQ issues. Most of my friends are straight guys, and I love them to death, but sometimes I just want to talk about gay things -_- This site gives me that opportunity :slight_smile:

20. Acm

Acm Guest

I came here for advice about being trans, and I stayed because I have nowhere else to talk about LGBT stuff and also because I like the community