1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Your Regrets in Life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Straight forward, again.

Now, to all you little smart asses, who will probably saying something, along the lines of, "Well, back when I did what I did, there was no regret...", you can get on out of here, LOL!

I love all you smart asses, though, you keep me on my toes.

No, but seriously. I often times meditate on so-called regrets, because they allow me to better understand myself -- where I came from, where I am, and where I go. They also allow me, in several ways, to see what has value and significant in my life. I like to know, as best as I am able, what has influenced or shaped my life; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

So, that all said, what are some things you regret in life? This can include re-dos, wanting to go back, and perhaps, fix something.

2. Jenna0780

I suppose the only regret that I still have to this day, is not giving a proper goodbye to my cousin, who died of Leukemia, when I knew that I wouldn't see him again.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's one thing that I regret the most, and I'm going to plead the fifth on what it is. It was something stupid I did when I was younger that I will probably regret until the day I die. It showed me that one of the worst lessons to fully learn and understand in life is one of the most obvious things: That we can't change the past, we can only change what we do in the future.

#3 AwesomGaytheist, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  4. Yosia

I seriously regret falling out permanently with someone who was such an amazing friend over a little argument.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I regret not taking more photos and videos of the greatest cat I ever owned. I regret taking some stupid classes last year that I ended up dropping--don't know why I stayed in them so long even though they weren't working out. I regret purposefully "drifting away" from a good friend in middle school because he wasn't "cool enough". I really wish he and I were still friends...

But my regrets tend not to be that big and I tend not to dwell on them. Only so much we can do.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One of them is how I spent my money.
    What are yours, Kaiser?

7. shinji

shinji Guest

I regret nothing!

^ is what i would have liked to say, but unfortunately i regret quite a lot. Too much to list here without making this into a huge wall of text. In fact, i don't think i'm actually, really happy with anything that i have accomplished (apart from looking sexy as hell!).

Okay okay, so... this is something interesting.

Back when i was still young and naive (eg, believing in happiness and all that), i had this really cute friend who was two years younger than me, had blonde hair and these really deep green eyes. I kind of crushed on him, and we sort of clicked and hanged out together a lot. Then this girl shows up and i immediately crush over her... so does my friend... Stuff happens and... they kissed (i heard from a mutual friend about this) and then... i lost them both. She took her shit and left for who knows where and my "friend" stopped all contact with me. I died a little bit inside that day.

Oh yeah, regrets... i regret not making a move on either my friend or the girl. And i did have quite a lot of opportunities. I mean, the girl practically asked me one time, directly if i liked her. On a side note, i think her brother was gay and into me... he was kind of creepy... Bought me stuff and was always looking at me, but was really creepy. Like all greasy and... meh. Always made me feel kind of awkward when he was with her.

P.S. - Also yes, what Vodkabaret said, Kaiser... words, type them! Share, curious we are to hear! - poor attempt at Yoda voice. Damn i hate Disney!

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

everything from conception forward

9. Hexagon

I wish I'd transitioned earlier. I knew when I was eight, and I should have pushed it.
    I wish I'd been kinder, more selfless and more dedicated.
    And I wish I'd taken less for granted.

10. Ryujin

Coming out too early
    Having my volatile emotions upset my greatest friend
    Doing a lot of stupid shit in my early days of school
    Suppressing my fun side for most of my life
    Suppressing my feminine side for most of my life
    Not showing my true self now
    Letting my dad find out I was queer
    Quitting my violin lessons
    Not listening to enough music
    Failing to contact a very good friend iI met and thus severing our friendship
    Going to my current school
    Being a devout Catholic as a 6 year old child

Apparently a great many things

11. One Man Army

If I said I had no regrets about anything, I'd be a dirty liar. On the other hand, I am glad that I have experienced everything I've been through so far in life, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

But anyway, I bet you came here to read our juicy, dark secrets so here goes:

I sorely regret the fact that I pushed away my (former) close friend by being generally miserable around him. We haven't spoken in nearly two years and I still miss him.

I wish I'd embraced my sexuality earlier, instead of living in denial up until I was nearly 25.

Also the fact that I was obviously depressed for much of my time at University, yet I didn't bother seeking help but wallowed in my own self-destructive thoughts and actions and pushed people away.

The fact that I have never really made much of an effort to get to know people on a personal level.

12. Blossom85

I regret not realizing earlier in my life who I was.

I regret having some major arguments with a friend whom I am now not in contact with and I don't know who to get back in contact with.

Not being more confident and self assured when I was younger.

That's all for now.. Might come back later..

13. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Working in half of my jobs

14. I regret not telling my former best friend that I was into her. As pissed as I am that she (seemingly? I can't be sure) left me after I came out to her as lesbian, I can't help but feel that it would have provided some closure to our relationship, had I told her. Part of me also feels like she may have liked me (based on texts she sent me shortly after), and that she was too nervous to tell me because she had never had a proper relationship with a girl. Maybe she stopped being my friend because she thought I didn't like her, and that it would make our relationship weird?

So yeah, I basically regret everything surrounding the end to that relationship. I also regret freezing out my trans friend last year when she needed me most, even if she did some really hurtful things to me and my other friends.

15. Weekender

I regret not appreciating my grandparents more.
    I regret not telling my mom I'm gay when she flat-out asked me.
    I regret having cared too much about other's opinions.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not finishing my Japanese language early on , lending my mom money for bills instead of saving it . Being stuck with my parents .:icon_sad:

17. Candace

Coming out too early, dating an abusive person, spending money when I don't need to, not working hard enough.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hm...

That curious, eh?

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the purpose of regret is to tell ourselves a certain story of how we got to where we are today...

But here's the thing, it's a story we tell ourselves...it may or may not be true.

Very often regret pre-supposes that, if we were somehow wiser (and endowed with the ability to see into the future), we might have made better decisions; but that is all in retrospect! Of course we can see where doing something differently in the past may have led to better outcomes, in hindsight, that's easy to do.

The past is gone, the future is unknowable. We only have the present and the choices that present themselves to us each and every moment. Every choice we make, every decision we come to is fraught with risk, nothing is ever clearly good or clearly bad...

You chose what turned out to be the wrong career, spouse, house...whatever? Maybe you did the best you could with what seemed like a good idea at the time, maybe everyone around you supported it, and maybe, just maybe, you might have chosen something worse!

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I have no regrets.