1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you that drive...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by josh9623, Oct 5, 2014.

?

Can you drive manual

1. Yes, and I prefer it.

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Yes, but I prefer auto.

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. No, but I'd like to learn.

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. No, and I'd like to keep it that way.

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. josh9623

How many of you know how to drive manual? For those that do, is your preference auto or manual? For those that don't would you like to learn?

2. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not know how to drive manual, but I would like to learn. I have one friend who drives a manual shift car and he doesn't seem to do it very well...

My parents own a couple manual-shift cars, so I have the opportunity, but I haven't learned yet.

3. Ryujin

I don't really fit into any of them, my TARDIS mainly drives itself.

But more on topic, I have driven before (on private Road, with an instructor, fully legally) and it was automatic, which was much easier I suspect than driving manual.

#3 Ryujin, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  4. timo

Yes. In my driving lessons I learnt how to drive a manual (as ~80% of the Dutch population drives a manual) and I'm very certain I will never own an automatic.

Driving a car with manual gearbox is a lot more fun.

5. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're tooling around, manual is fine; but when you commute 144 miles a day. I'll stick with an auto, thanks.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Oh cool! A car thread, i can finally brag about my super awesome (i got it really cheap too) Ford Probe V6 2.5V 165hp! Almost 20 years old and yet i'm going 200km/h easy, gonna get myself killed someday, yay!

Anyway... Manual! Always, it allows you to "feel" the engine, the road...the car itself. Gives you a better sense of exactly how much "power" you can push and when. Obviously this has more to do with the clutch, not the actual shift stick.

Also, it's more fun and easier on gas milage. And, let me tell you, those revs and quick starts aren't something you're gonna be doing (or at least, with such ease) with an automatic.

Also, my opinion of people who drive automatic "pseudo sport" cars, is rather low, in regards to skills on the road.

Like, i was eyeing this Chevy Corvette ZR1 (620hp) and was like... damn i'm soo getting this once i win the lotto! Guess what it's transmission was... you guessed it right, MANUAL! :3 Automatic is for lazy people.

7. timo

This is so true. I would love to have a Renault Clio RS but they're only available with an auto gearbox... which is no fun. It indeed doesn't allow you to 'feel' the engine and you don't have a good idea of what you're doing.

So I'll just get a Peugeot 208 GTi instead :grin:

8. Hexagon

I can drive, but I don't have a license. People learn on manuals here, so it's all I've ever driven.

9. josh9623

I personally prefer Manual, the reason I decided to ask was because most people in the US don't drive manual, and i wanted to see what the spread was here on EC.

10. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

My L R is manual and my buddy and I rebuilt his '72 bronco which is a 3 speed tank thing so Ye, sticks are dope real dope .....

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's an Asperger's thing, but I can't multitask to where I'd be able to focus on traffic and getting it in the right gear.

12. theflyingelf

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm learning how to drive, and they only teach us manual (I'm in the US) at my driving school.

13. IJustWantToLove

I voted 'Yes, and I prefer it', but honestly I've only ever driven manual, so I don't know if I really prefer it. Here in Germany we learn on manuals and I think the bigger part of the German population drives manuals, the automatic cars are still somewhat of an exception, at least among my generation (I only know a couple of 'older' people who switched over to automatics in their later years).

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father makes me drive a manual from time to time for learning purposes (so when I take my driving exam, I can get a manual licence), but my car (which I still can't drive alone) and my mother's are automatic. While there is a certain level of feeling more attuned to a manual, I don't like driving through heavy traffic in one.

I'll get over it, though.

15. MisterTinkles

I can drive both.

Actually, I can drive cars, trucks, vans, buses, tractors, hay balers, small boats, scooters, and motorcycles.

Although I am not that good at motorcycles.

I prefer automatic vehicles. If Im gonna pay a lot of money for something mechanical, it better do as much of the work as possible.

16. Blossom85

I can only drive auto and I would prefer to keep it that way as it is easier for me to just focus on the road.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how to drive automatic but manual I don't and I don't wanna learn bc I worry I'll forget to shift and the car will go crazy and then l crash plus I don't even know where to find a manual brand new car today. Well actually there are some but I don't think ill ever get one. My mom and grandma only know manual as well my dad kinda knows but meh. My grandpa that's all he's ever driven so he drives his pick up like a pro.

18. Randomcloud

I drive a manual car (and have driven an auto) and I find it much more preferable- you have a lot more control. Changing gears and using the clutch becomes second nature after a while

19. flatlander48

I'm on my 8th vehicle and I have never owned one with an automatic. They have been 4, 5 and 6 speeds. My current car is a 2009 fJCW MINI Clubman. Others have been a '72 Honda 600 Couple, a '70 Lotus Elan +2S and a '90 Nissan Maxima SE.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever driven auto. It's not that I would intentionally avoid learning a manual, but I just don't care to. Driving for me is not a passion nor a skill I desire to practice for it's own sake; I drive because I need to get somewhere else. An auto transmission is how I do that with a minimum of fuss.

I used to have a car that had a CVT transmission. Instead of a set number of gears, it constantly varied the ratio to achieve maximum power and efficiency at any RPM. God I miss that car.

#20 Argentwing, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014