1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yuri/Yaoi anime and manga....opinions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I ended up having a discussion with a friend who thinks those types of manga and anime are very stereotypical and downright wrong and so on. So I thought I'd ask you lovely people on what u thought of it?

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They may be a bit stereotypical, but I like yaoi. Never watched any yuri, but I might someday. They may not be the best kind in terms of being philosophical and great literature, but they're enjoyable. To say that they're wrong could be taken as homophobic.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yaoi is sexy. When both the seme and the uke are cute (which is sadly quite rare)

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yuri anime although I love it it has the annoying school girl stuff , but yuri manga has variety which i love and seem more realistic .
    I'm not much of a yaoi fan but I did love fake and sex therapist .

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What examples of this have you seen? I haven't seen any really, so I'd love to know.

Yaoi's pretty much a 24/7 thing for me. I think it has been, even before I learned about it.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's more Sturgeon's Law than anything, really. 90% of everything is crap. Assuming that you're talking about the Japanese fan comics scene... with fan works, it's more like 95%. You have to dredge through a lot of crap before you find the cream of the crop, but that small percentage is completely worth it.

Relying on stereotypes, bad anatomy, and out-of-character characterization automatically put a work in the shit pile. By the way, I like the ones that do it right. (But yuri is generally better.)

#6 An Gentleman, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a portion of the readers who like to fetishize gay men and relationships, to the point of being borderline creepy, and some argue that the writers have no knowledge on LGBT issues, that it's unrealistic, and plays on outdated stereotypes.

That said, if one treats it as fiction, and keeps an open mind, they'll come across at least one that they enjoy. I like the artwork more than anything, but find it an interesting genre at the same time.

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i dont think wrong may be what your friend intended to mean, but they have a lot of very very unhealthy consent and gender role stereotype issues going on.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Mede Shireru Yoru no Junjou

Both seme and uke are long haired pretty boys

10. SeaSalt

I love Yuri and I super love Yaoi, more for smut reasons than anything else although I occasionally find a story I find engaging.

11. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I utterly endorse this post. Sturgeon's Law really is the fact of entertainment. :slight_smile:

12. shinji

shinji Guest

I want to punch your friend...

I feed on this stuff! Yaoi, obviously but... iz just so cute! :3

13. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Friend came up today and apologized for saying it was downright wrong xD. She said she shouldn't have said it that way and put it to how she just doesn't like it but it's not wrong so that's a good thing! I agree with you it's absolutely adorable!!

14. I love yuri manga and some yuri anime. It's difficult, like stocking said, to find the ones that aren't schoolgirls who have the same basic personality: really cutesy and shy. That said, a lot of the ones I enjoy do take place in schools, but the main characters typically aren't the way I described.

15. josh9623

While I haven't seen any yuri (and that's unlikely to change) the yaoi that i have seen is kind of weird, there is some that is okay but not great. maybe i just haven't looked in the right places. I also kind of like bara but most that i have seen is unrealistically muscly guys.

16. CloudyEver

The Seven Days, a manga on YouTube, is well worth a preliminary g;ance. I've touted it here before, but yeah. And the fanfiction continuation, "The Week After," which I promise I didn't write. Seriously. My name is Altered910, on FF.net, just to prove it!

*is bricked for shameless plug*

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't care for a lot of it, but there are a lot of hidden yaoi gems. I just hate the ones that are really heteronormative and endorse in rape culture

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Omg I hate those too . I read a yaoi manga where a guy raped another guy then , the guy fell in love with his rapist , I have seen this in one yuri but not many .