1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and should I buy my own apartment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm living with grandparents since me and my step dad don't get along very well. I'm 18 now and working on getting a job so close to!! Im in a credit recovery school and only have 3 online classes left to finish then I'm done with my last year of school!! Thinking of getting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment sometime soon once I get a job and such. Should I do so or should I wait till 20s and so on? I love living with my grandparents and might end up staying till they pass on so I can be there to help them but still wanna hear your thoughts on the subject. Thanks and have a fantastic week!!(&&&)

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Move out whenever you're ready :slight_smile: there's never really a good time to move (moving is stressful trust me I know I've moved a thousand million times :dry:slight_smile: ya if your grandparents don't mind having u stay with them then stay with um :slight_smile:
    Take care (*hug*)

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might also consider roommates to help share the burden.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i have a one bedroom because there were no efficiencys at the time and i can not afford it. even when i worked near FT hours (lmao) above min. wage it was not possible. this will vary with your area and prices. i regret it a lot because i have to bum off my family a lot to help and it is like..... really bad feeling :/ i am thinking about taking out loans instead of bumming.

but that was a vent, assuming you live somewhere not-insanely-expensive you can absolutely do this! with roommates!!! however, and this is absolutely up to you, but if you love and want to help your grandparents i say stay a while. i really regret not being home when my mom was in the hospital and my dad wasnt taking care of himself as a result, he still isnt good about it and i wish i were there to help almost daily.

5. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd suggest saving money before moving out and also getting a job that pays above minimum wage if you can

6. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    think i might stay with my grandparents for now just so I'm there to help them out since its just me and my grandma.Grandpas out truck driving xD so ill be saving money and move sometime later xD tanks for all the helpful suggestions xD. hope you all have a wonderful week!!

7. Candace

Share with someone so that you can cut down on costs. Have enough money to be able to put down a deposit, along with about 2-3 months rent. That's what my parents have told me.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Renting would be better at your age - unless you live somewhere really cheap. I'd never consider buying a property here.

Once I graduate uni, I'm hoping to find full-time work quickly so I can rent my own place. I've been looking at some apartments but the only ones I could afford are in less desirable areas. Even renting one room in decent areas is usually well above £300/month. I'd prefer to rent in a central location but they're always more expensive.

#8 imnotreallysure, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014