1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Hate: Forgetting the B in LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChapterOne, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ChapterOne

ChapterOne Guest

The LGBT community is seen as a tremendous group of very different people coming together in support for each other because they each identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender, and the list has gotten even longer as more people are being recognized as queer, intersexual, etc. Well, that's what I thought the LGBT community meant at least. But a certain hate from members of this community is completely contradicting the seemingly accepting vibe of being lesbian, gay, etc. Bisexual people are being close to shunned because of hurtful labels like "greedy," "confused," and even "fake." What is happening to us? Both straight and now gay people are refusing to be romantically involved with bicurious and even bisexual individuals because of these incorrect labels. Many seem to forget that being "bi" is a real and true sexual orientation; many of us thought we were bi for a period of time (at least, I did)! Bisexuals, in reality, are usually completely committed to whoever they're with, and are satisfied with whichever gender they choose to be with. Remember: the love of your life could be bisexual. Don't turn away because of some stupid stereotypes.

~Chapter One

2. King

LGBT is a group of people with similar issues, but naturally it is hard for gay people to understand transgender issues or transgenders to understand bisexuality etc. People need educating about the different aspects and elements of what constitutes LGBT individuals.

Where have you seen this 'hate'? On this forum? When dating people? by friends?

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I can understand refusing to be romantically and sexually involved with a bicurious person. Keep in mind that they aren't the same thing as a bisexual; bi-curious people either "don't know who they are" or they know they're straight but want to have same-sex experiences. And I would definitely never want to be involved with someone like that, because It's nothing but heartache.

As for actual bisexuals, yes I would date them because they aren't the same thing and are secure in having legit same-sex attraction. I don't see any hate on this forum, but in regards to lesbians and bisexual women; I think the reason there's bi hate is because our society is so damn phallocentic (It only counts as 'real' sex/relationship if a man is involved) so many lesbians think someone getting anywhere near a man is a huge threat and invalidation to their homosexuality. It's not even a bisexual problem to be honest, because most biphobic lesbians also hate on other lesbians who have any experience with men. Which is a problem. As for me, I have the same worries about our cultural views, but as long as a bisexual is not phallocentric, I will date her.

There's a lot of crap and assumptions in our society when it comes to bisexuality, and a lot of sexuality related things in general, which needs to be addressed.

4. ChapterOne

ChapterOne Guest

A bi friend of mine said that there was some hate here on EC and some people in person have said hurtful things, unfortunately.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

Although I get what you're saying, sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) I'm sure some bicurious people are curious about being romantically involved, not just sexually involved, with someone of their gender. I say that no matter what you label yourself as, whether it be full-on gay or bi or straight or pansexual or whatever, you should be with who you want. For instance, I would totally date a bicurious girl if she was really in it for the relationship stuff (again, rare, but can happen). I totally get the heartbreak aspect though, and I hope that's never happened to you.

#4 ChapterOne, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  5. Ruthven

uhh but i'm bi and a trans male soo..

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I don't know if it's hate, but let me tell you, a lot of 'B's, 'T's, and 'Q's feel left out. Even here there are threads called "Gay Marriage", "Lesbians, how do you feel about 'X' with your lover", and similar.

There are days when this inclusive community feels like a Gay and Lesbian club, and Everyone that ain't, just ain't.

I know 'T's that wont post in 'Coming Out' because they are afraid they will be called freaks. The thread that was removed the other night "Penis-sexual" hurt a lot of people.

7. Ruthven

^yeah this is makin me think of just in general the paintin of everything as gay. it's annoying.

gay marriage/couples--i just think same gender marriage and sayin instead stuff like lady/guy/whatever couple is more inclusive and doesn't leave other sexualities out. and doesn't erase anyone's sexuality either

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The official line I hear everywhere (in the LGBT community) is "same-sex marriage" or "just marriage", not "gay marriage"...even homosexuals seem rather offended by "gay marriage".

But ChapterOne, I'd have to hear more about this hate, before I'd get upset about it. As a bisexual woman, I know there are a lot of stupid stereotypes about bisexuals (look at the Sexual and Romantic Orientation Forum and you'll see plenty of frustration from bisexuals about stereotypes). But I've heard no hate here directed toward bisexuals, and I've heard nobody implying that the B should be eliminated from LGBT.

I'm sorry, but "a friend told me there was some hate" does not engage my worry systems or make me feel remotely hated. Can you or your friend please be more specific?

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow it's gotten really bad, if straight people are refusing to date bisexuals. Personally I wouldn't date a bi curious person , I prefer dating a bisexual person that is monogamous;I have noticed that in lgbt meetingsiI would here people just mention bisexuals.
    Bi curious women have a habit of using lesbians for sex , not all but some do . I could sleep with them but I wouldn't date them.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2014 at 06:26 PM ----------

It annoys me as well when some people paint everyone as bisexual. At least someone knows reverse of what I feel.
    I once tried making threads about bisexuality but I seem to annoy bisexual women so I stopped. Plus I can't relate to bisexual women so I stick with what I know.

#9 stocking, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  10. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    lol even in their own community there are groups that don't like each other? Everyone here seems to be a mix of fucking everything and everyone here is alright with each other. There was another place I used to go to (still on occasions.) that was like this, but cool with each other. Never really heard of the groups disliking each other.

11. flatlander48

I think at the root of the problem you will find a lack of trust. Lesbians and gays often feel that they cannot count on bisexual people. The reason is supposedly that if things get difficult (could be politics, abuse, basically anything), bisexuals can easily slip back into the heterosexual world. It is believed that we don't have the courage to come out as lesbian or gay, so we hide behind bisexuality.

12. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    [​IMG]

Never thought of it like that. Then again, I don't really think. Makes sense though. Anyone want to back this up or have your own point a view?

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't see it as that in my case ,but I have heard some gays and lesbians say that . How can gays and lesbians expect bisexual people to be gay or lesbian , it just confuses me bisexual people are bisexual not gay or lesbian . It just comes down to ignorance about bisexuality ,and it makes me so sad that there is so much ignorance when it comes to bisexual people . I always think God make it stop :bang:.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes yes and yes. All three.

Though the hate here is admittedly (and necessarily) fairly passive aggressive.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My new counselor(this is our 3rd visit) lumped me and my one friend both as gay. I felt slighted by that, but I don't want to complain and come off as homophobic. Then she seemed shocked when I told her mostly females are bisexual compared to males, like 70% to 30%. And this is at my LGBT center, what have I gotten myself into? She meant well, and I am sure it was unintentional. It's just that same lumping. My previous counselor was a bi woman, and I thought in some ways I could relate to her better. I feel that this counselor drives feedback from me more often and makes our time fly by with follow up better though.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree with the above. I've encountered a few comments that seemed a little hateful in person from a couple of people who I thought were friends, but I haven't seen anything I would call hateful on this site. Granted, I don't follow every post though.

17. MrK21

I never really cared if someone was bi, and considering the fact that I am physically attracted to guys. When I was gay I had to settle for bi guys, and haven't even had luck with them, same as when I was when I went straight. Really it sounds impossible but really it was not that hard for me. Believe it or not I actually found out I actually DID like girls. And more recently... I came to realize that the physical attraction to guys never really left. Thing is I am definetly attracted to guys, but yeah I just don't like what is below there waist line, and when I see pictures of a dudes bulge I feel somewhat nautious.

@Starfleet-I sincerely apologize for some of the things I said the other. But please understand I am very sexually confused and depressed right now. One minute I identify as bi, next minute I am queer, and then I have moments where I think I am still straight. I feel this is supposed to be my safe zone just as much as you feel it is yours.

18. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

19. MrK21

@Starfleet
    Well I can not say I really blame you. I try to keep calm and understand both sides of the story, but sometimes it is hard. I never told any body I was ex-gay, because I wanted them as a normal straight guy, so I guess that is not much different then transpeople are having trouble with being seen as biological equals. Also understand that this is not really your average lesbian loving transmen scenario, but rather A GUY that USED TO LIKE GUYS you have to consider the appeal there. I have actually considered going completely bi or panromantic, but I am pretty sure a biological guy is not going to be up for that, because, okay, yeah I am a biological guy, and I know if I am in a relationship with someone I am going to want a little hanky panky before too long.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I recently made friends with this awesome guy who happens to be bi. I'd gladly punch anyone who tells me he doesnt exist.