1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspicious New Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Oct 6, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I was just hired as a personal office administrative assistant. Officially began work today and my first assignment. My client wants me to transfer funds (from a significantly large check) to another one of her clients, deducting my paycheck from the funds she's sent me.

Check was handwritten and was sent from yet another one of her assistants over priority mail.

Job posting was on a legitimate freelance data base site.

Assignment was to transfer funds to a client in Texas...for an orphange? Methodist Children's Home. Least that's real for sure. The orphanage.

I haven't gotten clear answers as far as her company website goes... What do I do? Am I possibly involved in a laundering scam?

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

This smells bad. Are you supposed to transfer funds in smaller sets? If so, that's a RICO predicate felony. "Structuring", ie laundering.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

No, basically I received a check for about 2 grand. Was supposed to deduct my paycheck (about 400 dollars) and then transfer the entire remainder through Money Gram in one straight up transaction.

4. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Sounds extremely fishy. Why would they pay that much for simple transfer of funds. I'm not your Mom, but this smells.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you had better prepare to report it as soon as you have any indication that it is a fraud. If not, you might be accused of being knowingly involved should it turn out to be illegitimate.

If you report it, you might end up getting fired if it's legitimate. You might end up in legal trouble if you don't, if it isn't legitimate.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Because 400 is my weekly paycheck and this was sent along with what I was supposed to transfer. Usual tasks are supposed to involve making phone calls and drafting emails.

And that's where my problem lies. I really really really need the money. Do I just do what she asks and keep careful records of any transactions just in case something does turn out to be illegitimate?

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

THIS IS BAD. Look at the check, look for any logos or distortion or anything unusual. Look for companies, look at the bank, look for anything that could possibly be illegitimate. This is bad!!!! Where exactly did you find the listing for this job? Can you be more specific without identifying yourself?

THIS IS BAD!!! Take that check to a bank and ask if it is suspicious or legitimate, you may have to bug someone in an office not a teller because they'll just cash it/do whatever without looking.

THIS IS BAD!!!

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yes.

Well I did some research and looked up the company this check is connected for. Couldn't find anything for it except listings on sites like Wysk and business directories. No site for the company. It's described as a "domestic limited liability" company established in 2006 and is listed as "inactive".

Site posting was found on a site called ODesk which is basically an escrow protected data base for freelancing positions. However, most of my contact with this client has been off-site and through emails.

I haven't done anything with the check yet. Got bad vibes as soon as I saw the payee was listed as "Commissions" and everything was handwritten in pen.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you afford the legal consequences should it be illegitimate? That might end up trumping the gains now.

Take it to a good accountant. They will know whether you should report it or not.

And that information above sounds ridiculously fishy.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Absolutely not. I barely make squat now- this was supposed to be the job that was going to guarantee I finally had rent money. :\ No legal funds.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I'm sorry but this absolutely sounds like a scam, my brother got roped into a similar thing and we took it to a bank who said "this is a laundering scam, happens all the time". This is not a real legitimate job and even if you try to work with them they will just screw you later out of resources and run and you'll be SOL. You can check with someone at a financial institution to make sure but this probably won't end well if you pursue.

I am sorry, I know you needed the money.

12. Ashley2103

If something doesn't feel right, and as much as you may need the money, jail isn't worth paying the bills. Don't get caught up in the fraud, if investigators found this topic, then they could use it against you. Get out of the business while you still can.

13. Emmanuella

Sounds fishy. ALWAYS trust your first instinct. If its telling you to get outta there, then that's EXACTLY what you need to do.

Also even though it is a little out of place, congrats on the new job (I know that's always nice to here, regardless)

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, I resigned from the position. Offered to either void and shred the check or send it back. But guess it's better to abort it now than to get right into a possible scam, right?

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Better in the long run, I am sorry it didn't work out. However you seem to have a huge skillset so I am confident you can find a good rent job soon :, ) Good luck~

16. AlamoCity

It's (very likely) a scam. Sorry. Banks will usually take longer to verify funds, especially if checks travel across several Federal Reserves to clear. Banks have rules where they must make funds available to your account within a specified amount of time but this is not usually the amount of time it takes to clear a check across multiple branches and across several Federal Reserve's. The bank would give me the money and said it "cleared" but then 10 days later I'll say the check bounced and then come back and collect the entire amount from your account while you have already sent the money via Western Union and it is completely lost so you are out the full amount.

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

^ That is what I wanted to explain but couldn't remember exactly how it worked and didn't want to get it wrong, so thankfully you got it AND are also better with words! :>

18. AlamoCity

fA similar scam involves Craigslist where a man buys something or makes a deposit on an apartment. He sends over a cashier's check or other negotiable instrument and says, "oops, I sent it for a larger amount than the X amount I owed you. Can you just cash the check and send me the balance via Western Union. Oh, and keep a few bucks extra for your trouble."

The man deposits the check, bank honors it within a couple of days and the man thinks that means that the check was "good." He gets the money that the other person "overpaid," wires it, and then is told by the bank later on that the check was fraudulent. He is on the hook for what he sent to the man via wire transfer. Banks are getting savvier and so are consumers, but that doesn't mean this type of fraud doesn't exist.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reading through it, it's good that you have left the job even though it might mean having to go back to looking for another job. It is better not to get involved in things that don't sound right.

Should you find yourself looking for another job as a result, I would suggest to stay away from freelance sort of job ads sites as they are an easy target for scammers.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is 100% a scam! and a very common one. You deposit the check, the bank (temporarily) puts the funds in your account, you transfer the money to the other person... And then the check bounces so you are out the money you deposited AND the money you sent to the other person, not to mention not getting paid for your time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hopefully you haven't actually sent the funds off to wherever. You may want to file a police report.