1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An age thing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vanthefurn, Oct 6, 2014.

1. vanthefurn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm 15, turning 16 this month. I met this guy who's 20 and he seems extremely cool (and super attractive too haha). He always flirts with me and has basically told me he wants me. Problem is, I don't know! Like is it creepy for him to think I'm attractive even though I'm much younger? Is it weird for me to want him? What do I do!? Please help me!!

2. vanthefurn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does age matter?

So I'm 15, turning 16 this month. I met this guy who's 20 and he seems extremely cool (and super attractive too haha). He always flirts with me and has basically told me he wants me. Problem is, I don't know! Like is it creepy for him to think I'm attractive even though I'm much younger? Is it weird for me to want him? What do I do!? Please help me!!

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Run away? Look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking an older guy. Once you're a legal adult, you can date someone older than you- screw age differences. But that's the difference. Right now you're a MINOR. It's illegal to engage in such a relationship at that age. Give it a few more years until you meet your country's age of consent and be very wary. I really don't want someone to take advantage of your youth and inexperience.

4. DarkestDream

There's nothing wrong with meeting cool people, and being attracted to them. However...unless you're 18, well then that means if he acts on his attraction to you, then he would be committing a felony. :eek:

5. vanthefurn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well he seems like a nice guy and I don't think I used the correct wording. I don't know if he necessarily wants to have sex but I do know he's interested. Does that change anything?

6. DarkestDream

Re: Does age matter?

There's nothing wrong with meeting cool people, and being attracted to them. However...unless you're 18, well then that means if he acts on his attraction to you, then he would be committing a felony. :eek:

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Nope. I wouldn't. Even if it's not a sex thing, I'd be very wary of letting him in. It's very easy to be taken advantage of in that kind of situation and I'd worry about what this says about that guy. Even if he seems nice I want you to really think about where this attraction's coming from.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He should wait till your 18

9. MisterTinkles

I would be very suspicious. Perverts and psycho's come in all age ranges and are not all ugly old men. A lot of them are very good looking and know how to "trap" a younger person into their "web".

For someone underage, you have to be EXTREMELY careful of anyone over the age of 18. You have no idea what their agenda'a are, or what their motives are.

Be careful, be suspicious, and dont allow yourself to "fall" for this guy, until you have absolute proof of his inclinations.

10. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

He sounds great but IT sounds kind of illegal? So I would wait until you're of age legally that way you don't get him in trouble…

11. vanthefurn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    See I don't get it. Is he considered a pedophile? Just a creep? Or none because I'm basically 16 and that's when teenagers start becoming attractive?

12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's a good chance that he may just be a nice guy. But you never know.

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Isn't the age of consent 16? If that's the case where you live, just wait until you're 16. Age is just a number. My own parents have a 5 year old gap. There may be some difference in your ways of thinking, however. At 20, you're at a different point of live than when you're 16. Since I tried to go out with a 15 year old, I know that sometimes I think the things he says are borderline idiotic (not that all 15 year olds are like that, but still). If you're ready to deal with that, then it's up to you.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

why isnt the 20 year old finding people his own age tho

MAKE.... A THINK.......

15. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

vanthefurn , every state is different on the legal age limit my state is 18 for boys and 17 for girls unless the parents sign a concent form and I know that other states are different . I say that age is only a problem if it bothers you and or your partner who cares its what makes you happy :slight_smile: If you want to know my opinion I say that right now he is a little too old for you because you might be under age but what do i know I secretly in love with a man that is 17 years older than me . In the end be safe and take your time please we want you to be HAPPY HAPPY !!

16. Randomcloud

I'd be careful. Especially if he continues to be flirtatious. And how well do you know him?

As a 20 year old I have no problem getting along with/relating to younger people (ie. my 15 year old cousin and I are really close friends) but as far as relationships go it's pretty weird, not to mention illegal. See what kind of person he is and evaluate your feelings in a couple of years when you're both of age

17. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Just for added clarity regarding age of consent, in many states even if a person has reached the age of consent, there can still be charges if one of the parties is in what is legally considered a position of authority. For example, a 20 yr old college student teaching a HS class as part of a degree program had a sexual encounter with a 17 yr old student. The 20 yr old was charged with a crime despite the age of consent being 16. There are other situations besides teaching that are considered positions of authority.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'll set aside the age of consent issue (as it varies from state to state and country to country) and focus purely on the age difference as that's just as important.

A four year age gap doesn't sound very much and for two people in their 30's or 40's it will make little difference to a relationship, but when you are much younger it can make a huge difference. Usually the relationship dynamic is slanted in favour of the older person, so you have this imbalance and when things go wrong (as they often do, I'm afraid) it's the younger person who suffers the most. Even if both parties go into it for a bit of fun the chances of someone getting hurt remain.

I hesitate to use words like creepy or weird, but you would be wise to pay attention to the doubts. It would be healthier for both of you to focus on meeting people who are very close to your own age at this stage in your life.

#18 PatrickUK, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    4 years when you are 16 is a lifetime. This is a bad idea. Even if he doesn't say he wants sex, that's what it will come to, and probably sooner than later. There are simply too many differences in power, control, life experience, and the like for it to be possible to have a healthy relationship with that age difference at your age.

Additionally, you have to look at what is going on with a 20 year old wanting a relationship with someone 4 years younger. That's pretty problematic in itself in terms of his maturity/emotional health.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this thread has been posted twice in different areas. Maybe the responses can be merged?