1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a bit random: what do you think about "in vitro meat" (artificial meat...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Oct 7, 2014.

1. lemons123

this is: artificial meat created from stem cells. Meat without killing animals...

I think it will be very revolutionary...because:

1. cruelty free meat - no animal killed to get the meat necessary.
    2. possibly cheaper (solve hunger in africa??)
    3. tastier (lets hope)
    4. healthier (hopefully)

I think this is going to be one of the great revolutions of this century, together with stem cells overall, green energy, artificial intelligence and the "quantum era"(vacuum energy and quantum computers...).

I am surprised the in vitro meat idea gets such minuscule coverage by the media :frowning2:.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite frankly, I find it very odd and somewhat ridiculous to move to artificial meat instead of simply eating vegetarian foods if you have those objections.

And it's really odd to say "solve hunger in Africa," when every major famine in the world has really been down to a lack of staple grains and the like, and the like, not meat (which takes a lot to produce).

It's very interesting, but I don't really see it as something vital.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

You're catching me in a funny moment, few minutes ago i prepared my stakes for dinner.

All points you make are great and all that, but... I'm a simpleton, i live in this unknown country and we watch our own livestock and... let me tell you. The meat from an animal that you've killed yourself is soo much better tasting than something grown in a lab, the idea alone makes it better, you know?

It's the same like, homemade chicken nuggets can't compare to the crap they serve at McDonalds, guess why that is?

Who knows what weird chemicals they would put in that sciency "fake" meat... All natural, all the way! Always!

Is it not enough that we already eat processed veggies and stuff? Must we also poison ourselves with "fake" meat?! I mean, like in the store... i go and want to buy ground up beef meat and i read the label... hmm 20% meat 80% soy protein and a ton of chemicals, yeah... i'll pass.

Next thing you know, you'll be eating a stakeout of a tube in the form of paste... Oh wait, they already have those...

4. Hexagon

The same as pretty much every veg*n on the planet. It's better than real meat, but I still won't eat it.

5. lemons123

The point is humans are still animals. So...you can't simply force others to be vegetarians(vegans...). Sure...suppose you're better than us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (i admit i eat meat :frowning2:...but it's really hard to convince others to refrain from it.

Consider the similar analogy with drugs:

people weren't going to use "artificial drugs"(such as antibiotics...) but would rather stick to "proven recipes from their grandmothers", UNLESS of course the power of the artificial pills was superior to the self-proclaimed home remedies.
    In a similar fashion people cannot simply switch to vegeterianism in the foreseeable future. In fact i can't see this happening this century or even the 22nd century. But in vitro meat has a premise similar to say antibiotics vs home-remedies, if you see what' i mean P.

In addition: I think you have a point that this won't be magic-wand solution to eradicate poverty and hunger in say africa - but if the price of meat is say 5 times cheaper than it is today and the access to sources (stem cells...) is easier than the hunger problem will def. be reduced.

PS

Bear in mind some people are actually considering 3d Printers to print your own meat!

[​IMG]

^ funny and idealized...but still P.

6. Nikky DoUrden

I heard of it and I think its a perfect solution.
    Not only it'll stop killing them cute animals but it might even be more healthy!

I don't think it'll be THAT easy at least not soon :grin:

7. AdelOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think revolutionary might be overstating it a bit. The stem cells still have to come from an animal in the first place, ruling out the resulting 'meat' for vegans and many vegetarians. Cell culture also isn't cheap, so I can't see this solving world hunger. Plus, many of the supplements needed for cells to grow in vitro are derived from by-products of slaughtered cattle. Again, not very appealing to vegetarians.

Most of the flavour in meat comes from the fat running through the muscle and it would very hard to reproduce this in artificial meat, so I can't see it being tastier. It might be healthier though!

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 'cruelty-free' meat, but I just can't see this being that successful.

8. kem

kem

It's interesting, but I wouldn't say it's something remarkable. In about 5–15 years I guess it could be something "ethical" omnivores and health-conscious vegetarians/vegans might go for instead of organic meat, but as of now it's too expensive and too niche.

If you're interested in:
    -cheap,
    -environmentally friendly,
    -ethical,
    -healthy and
    -tasty food,
    just go vegan.

For each kg of meat, an animal must eat at least triple the amount of feed. A significant portion of all plants commercially grown are grown for animal feed.
    Eliminating meat, dairy and eggs means fewer animals, which means fewer crops grown for animal feed, which means more for people.
    Less meat, dairy and eggs also means there are fewer animals to process. Fewer slaughterhouses, less emissions.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think it'd probably be nasty and possibly more unhealthy

10. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But a lot of us want to eat meat. And if this is a sustainable way of doing it, then it's good.

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd be interested in seeing if it tasted as good. I find the idea bizarre, but that's not a reason to be opposed to it. And yes, I like meat, am not opposed to killing animals for food, but if there is something that would taste the same but is better for the environment and is cruelty-free, I'd be interested, sure.

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Clearly a vegan diet isn't as tasty compared to a meat included diet as a meat eater can eat all a vegan can eat plus more. Hence their meals will be at least as tasty as yours if not more tasty.

Ethically I don't really care about a chicken or even a cow. They have small brains. I don't think they know the difference between freedom and an intense farm. All cows want is to be is near other cows and to eat. That's it. And that's what they get on a intense farm.

So I think the answer to the animal debate for now is more intense farms. Later on that won't be enough will need grow meat and built meat from molecules by nano-bots.

Is the answer to global warming to stop driving or using planes. No, that would be going backwards. The answer is to change the cars and planes. I think the same applies to meat production. We don't need to stop eating meat but change the way we produce it.

13. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Considering I'm fat, I'll fucking eat just about anything.

14. kem

kem

Taste is subjective, so, can't argue with that. I used to like steak. Blue cheese is awesome, yoghurt, too. But I don't miss any of those one bit. Just one bit though: vegan isn't a diet. A vegan can be fat and eat unhealthy.
    On what do you base your assumption that the animals don't know the difference? You think they don't, you don't know. "All cows want is to be near other cows and to eat." I'm pretty sure you just described a majority of the human population.
    Although one might (rightfully) argue that humans and other species shouldn't be considered equal in every instance, it is a fact that like humans, the animals in question have a nervous system and they feel pain. I think it rational to consider the pain caused to humans and the pain caused to other species equal.
    Is it wrong to cause pain when it can be avoided?
    If yes, then, why keep eating meat? Meat isn't necessary for survival*.
    If no, would you agree to punch a baby? Babies have small brains and I don't think they know the difference between freedom and an intense farm. All they want is eat, poop, and be close to other people. Do you care about genocide, murder and rape?

The questions are:
    what can we do to improve animal well-being?
    how can we reduce the environmental impact of factory farming?
    Your answer solves neither.

I disagree somewhat. I think you are right in that we should improve cars and planes as much as we can. Electric vehicles are the future.
    The real answer to global warming would indeed be, however, to eliminate, or at least drastically reduce, the need to use cars and planes in the first place. Shifting to nuclear (that's right, I'm an eco-guy who supports nuclear!!) in combination with renewable energy, public transport, high-speed trains and bringing services and jobs closer would be progress.
    This is beside the point though.

*Obviously there are places and situations where it isn't possible to survive without eating meat. The classic

15. thekillingmoon

Artificial meat doesn't sound very appetizing. I'll stick to veggie burgers. I'm doing fine without eating meat anyway and don't crave the taste of it. I suppose would be good for people who do.

16. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You ever ate tofu? Shits so cash.

17. SeaSalt

Im not a Vegetarian because I think eating animals is wrong, I just like meat free food more.

18. thekillingmoon

I think I did once in a sushi roll, didn't like it that much. I'm a very picky eater though.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Vegan is a dietary constraint so it is essentially to some extent a diet.
    Humans are more complex. That statement doesn't really describe any human. We care about a lot of things. Money, housing, freedom, freedom of speech,etc..
    I don't want to cause animals pain and a part from the slaughter I don't see why farming has to cause an animal pain. If a practice does cause them pain then that practice should be stopped.
    Babies don't know the difference. Actually they would be unable to live with freedom. They require imprisonment by their parents. But I wouldn't want to punch one nor would I want to punch a cow. Yes I do care about genocide, murder and rape. I think all three of those are wrong. I don't understand how they are relevant.
    I don't think the first one is as hard to fulfill as people think. Farm animals just need less than us to be well. They are not as complex. I think it's immoral to farm chimpanzees because their needs are more complex. My answer does solve the second one. Intense farming is better for the environment than free range especially intense chicken farming. The future ideas address both. Although farming species would probably go extinct if we stopped farming.

Having your own transport is better than public transport (at least most of the time). Hence by going to public transport we are going backwards. We can drive and fly without harming the environment we just require new technologies. People just won't give up their stuff. The human race goes forward not backwards.

20. 741852963

Its really odd.

My veggie friends all say they'd eat it. And me and the omnivores are grossed out by it! Kind of the opposite of what you would expect!

I don't know what it is about it, but for me it freaks me out a bit too much and makes me squeamish. Theres just something a bit Resident Evil (or Soylent Green perhaps!) about it. Don't get me wrong I definitely see the benefits and the premise of real meat makes me squemish too, but this is just a little creepy.

I think I'd rather go full on veggie/eat meats of vegetable origin (e.g. quorn) than ever eat lab grown meat from animal cells.

Its just reminded me of a scene from a film called Antiviral - where cells from celebrities are grown into "celebrity steaks" for people to eat. So :***: gross.