1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here a eurosceptic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edgy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. edgy

edgy Guest

You don't have to answer if you know you're not one

2. Hexagon

For crying out loud, why discourage people with opposing views from commenting? What's the point of a discussion if everyone agrees with you?

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel there are reasons to stay in the EU but also a lot of reasons not to, however I feel that with the rising popularity of right wing parties in Europe I wouldn't be surprised if the EU's time is coming to a close

4. Ryujin

Well, the EU is one step closer to a United Earth.
    Plus, pretty much the only major party in the UK who want out are UKIP, and you can fuck off if you think I'd support them.

5. SomeLeviathan

#FuckOffFarage

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I know right. I like the idea of countries coming together. The EU is a definite step in the right direction in my opinion. Why can't I post that?

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that Europe exists.

8. Hexagon

:lol:

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm not a eurosceptic, but I am a euroseptic. I believe that we shouldn't unify Europe's sewers.

10. AlamoCity

As an American, I take the policy of not meddling in the internal affairs of sovereign nations and the politics that govern them. It should be the right of every people to self-determine their own destiny and be their own captain of the ship of state*.

*Provided their policies don't go against our interests :roflmao:

11. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

12. Hexagon

I'm in favour of a federal EU, not unlike the US.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a Finn, I am very fond of European integration. A united Europe prevents Germany, France, Britain, and Italy from calling all the shots while countries like Finland, Austria, Portugal, and others are protected from exclusion from the running of Europe. I feel it provides a great deal of beneficial unity, from having standardised currency and labels good for trade within Europe, to encouraging European nations to resolve tensions very peacefully and without open hostility.

Human rights are also a nice benefit; member states and prospective member states have to follow the requirements if they want the privileges of the EU. A united Europe also means that there's a bloc to challenge single-state superpowers, particularly economically.

I don't see the need for a European federation any time soon, though.

#13 Aussie792, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a federalist. I'd like a common foreign policy and a EU defence force to replace national armed forces. I'd like a European energy pact with an emphasis of green and renewable energy and I'd like to see a single European equality law. The UK should have joined the Euro and it still should in the future.

I support a United Kingdom in a very united and much closer Europe. So I'm the antithesis to a Eurosceptic. It follows that I am an avowed opponent of the UK Independence Party and Conservative Party.

15. LiquidSwords

You can be part of the Council of Europe hence subscribed to ECHR without being in the EU though. How much attention you pay to ECHR varies alot between contracted countries as well anyway, from the UK who observe pretty much every ruling to, well, Russia. But yes, I think the ECHR does in general a wonderful job at protecting citizens' interests and rights and I think people don't have enough appreciation for the human/civil rights we enjoy in parts of Europe which are pretty much the best in the world in large part thanks to the ECHR. The Tories idea of scrapping the ECHR in favour of a 'British Bill of Rights' is the one thing which makes me most scared of a Tory majority, it would be a terrible terrible thing

I'm definitely not a federalist though. There is so much diversity in EU that there are really very few things which need to be common in law between member states. I really don't know why anybody is keen to be part of a 500mill+ single country it's just a terrible thing for democracy and accountability and localism.. as if politics in Bulgaria is the same as in Iceland

Thankfully it seems that resistance is growing to a federal Europe though many Brussels politicians seem ideologically obsessed by it and will go to great lengths to force it, like Lisbon treaty was forced through that nobody wanted..

We should stay in the EU as it is now, but every step towards federalism from now should have a mandate from british voters for us to go that way (aka no lol)

#15 LiquidSwords, Oct 8, 2014
  16. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I believe in segregation. I want my culture to stay alive and respected just like every other culture, I don't want it to fucking die and get lost with some of the other cultures.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a cultural isolationist, but I also believe in preserving parts of our cultures as well.
    Culture, like society, is akin to a slowly evolving organism. I don't know enough about the EU to really make any judgements.

18. Yosia

Im all for the EU.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, is it a mold, or fungal culture? It is good to keep those segregated, in petri dishes, 'cause they might be dangerous.

20. King

Yes, for these reasons:

Lack of democracy: The European is an undemocratic organisation and may explain the number of former communists in its ranks., and anyone who supports this menace of a dictatorship does not believe in democracy. People cannot elect the European Commission, President or any other high profile roles, which goes against democracy. Europe's democratic deficit grows wider by the day - Telegraph

No reason for a political union: The European Economic Community is/was a good idea as it is vital that Europe has good trade relationships, but who agreed to a POLITICAL union with Europe? No one got the chance to vote on this at all. Why should we have a political union with Europe? Why do we need people in Brussels making 75% of Britain's law? We have a 650 MP's elected to do that job.

Eurozone crisis: The EU thought it would be good for all member countries to share the same currency despite each county having a very different economy, which resulted in poorer countries could then use Germany's low interest rates to borrow lots of money. This has caused mass poverty and deep social problems for the working class masses. The reason Westminster wanted to reject a sterling zone with an independent Scotland was because of this issue. A Failed Euro Zone, Financed by Germany - NYTimes.com

Lack of transparency and fiscal responsibility: The accounts for the EU have never been audited, and spending has increased massively despite most countries rightly imposing austerity. (Auditors refuse to give EU accounts a clean bill of health for 19th year in a row | Daily Mail Online)

Free movement of people: a net migration figure of 212,000 have entered the United Kingdom in the past year. It confuses me why anyone from Europe can enter this country but it is a lot harder for non-EU migrants to enter. Why should a manual labourer from Poland or Bulgaria be given special treatment over more skilful migrants from India or New Zealand? It is difficult for the government to plan when they don't know how many people will enter the country, yet the EU prevents us having a points based system like in Australia. BBC News - Rise in EU immigration to the UK This has also added wage pressure to lower skilled jobs with a huge influx of competition, at a time when unemployment levels are yet to reach pre-crisis levels.

The people in the UK and other European countries DEMAND a referendum! David Cameron's referendum plan, whilst noble, is far from guaranteed. Britain can still trade with Europe being outside of a political union like Norway, and this is the only way forward. NO NO NO to coin a phrase to their corrupt project to deny individual countries of basic democratic rights.

#20 King, Oct 8, 2014