1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in fate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geist, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Do you believe in fate?

1. Yes, we have some sort of destiny

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Yes, but it is based on our own actions aka. Karma

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. No, things just happen no real reason to it

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just curious what everyone elses opinion is on it. Do you think we all have our own personal destiny a path that we follow that is set in stone? Or is it that events happen based on Karma (bad things happen to bad people and good things happen to good people) Or is it that things just randomly happen and there is no real driving force behind it that guides it to a certain path.

Personally I believe in fate. I suppose it is because it gives me hope that the bad things that happen today have a reason and will make for a better tomorrow. I guess the main reason I believe this is that too many random coincidences have happened in my life and I have had so many close calls that I like to think of it as fate of course it could just be dumb luck.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe in fate. I do believe our actions have consequences, but not really in a karmic way. More like, for instance, if you're a negative person, people will not want to deal with you much.

Lex

3. Yes.

Strongly.

Its one of the only things that keeps me going, believing that everything happens for a reason, and whatever will happen will happen, and you've just to let yourself go with the flow, and believe that somehow it will turn out okay in the end. I have no religion, its probably the only thing I fully believe in.

The belief I have in fate has got me through some tough times.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think we have a particular destiny, I think we are in control of our own lives and out actions lead the consequences whether good or bad that happen to us. I believe things happen for no reason, and if they appear to happen for a reason it's merely coincidental.

5. Derek the Wolf

There is no such thing as fate. Not to offend anyone, but the notion is ridiculous.

6. littledinosaurs

i have no clue.

7. Nodnarb

As usual, I agree with Lex.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes and no. Yes, I do think that the actions taken by...everyone, really, will have an impact on everything else. Even the smallest things, like staying up an extra ten minutes one night, will affect the next day in some way, and because the next day will affect everything after it, it goes in a very long chain. However, I don't think there's some sort of spiritual "karmic" balance to everything. No one is sitting on the moon, pulling the strings. There are no powers-above forces floating around that correct little mistakes so everything evens out. Things just...happen. But they happen for a reason. BUT that reason is not predetermined by any supernatural force. If that makes any sense at all.

9. berileos

berileos Guest

We build our own destiny...there is no fate...

10. Yes, there is fate, and certain people are destined to do certain things. Whether they do them is their own choice. I believe.

11. davo-man

That pretty much summed up my position (and yes, it did make sense :grin:)

Where do I begin? First off, I believe that given a set of variables/inputs, there can only be one set outcome. Like, say you roll a bowling ball down an alley. Depending on the way you throw the ball, the surface of the alley, the exact positions of the pins etc etc etc ad infinitum, there will only be one outcome.

This gets tricky when we introduce "free will". By my reckoning, free will is sorta there and sorta not there...What I mean is, yes we make our own decision, however we make those decisions (sometimes subconciously) due to our surroundings, our upbringing, the biology of our particular brain etc etc etc ad infinitum (I just like that phrase :grin:)

So, what does this mean? It means, that I believe in fate; that there is only one destiny, only one path that every person will take, whether they like it or not. And these destinies are all affected by every single action that has gone before, which were caused by every action that went before them, which were a product of every single action before them etc etc etc (one more time) ad infinitum

Now, in relation to karma. No, I don't believe in it. I believe that if you do good things, it's more likely that people are going to like you and be more willing to do nice things in return, but I don't think there is a cosmic force that makes sure everyone who does good stuff has a good life; It doesn't work like that from my experience.

Anyway, sorry for my long explanation, but every time I try to write what I think about that down, it never looks like as much sense as I feel in my head

12. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to say I agree with Lex and Wander; the things you do affect want happens later.
    Negative people tend to have less good things going for them, because of how they've spent their lives and how this mingles, or doesn't mingle, with other people's lives, who've probably spent their time avoiding each other, making one or both of their lives miserable or hard.

13. lexie

i dont think we are destined for a particular path in life, i think the life we live, is the life we make for ourselves and we always have the power to change it. i dont know if i believe in fate when it comes to meeting a partner though. i think some people are very lucky in that they do meet the perfect partner, but maybe thats more to do with luck than fate. i do believe everything happens for a reason though.

14. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't believe in fate or karma. i do believe that if you work your hardest to live a happy, fulfilling life, you are more likely to get one.

15. I do believe that most things happen for a reason :slight_smile:

16. I agree with both of you. Thanks for typing it out so I don't have to :grin:

17. xequar

I dunno... I voted "No," but there's a part of me that believes in a sort of "Karma Lite," if you will. I don't think it's nearly as intense as traditional Karmic beliefs would suggest, but I think there is at least something to that old expression, "What goes around comes around."

18. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that what happens to us is a direct result of human kind, not some random force up there writing our book for us.

19. littledinosaurs

Not sure what to say!
    I mean if fate exsists then nothing matters cause it will all happen and my decision is already chosen for me?
    and if it kinda exsits then everything is kinda planned
    so im gonna say its all random to hope that im still incontrol?
    idk lol.

20. kh23172

I think that things happen for a purpose, and thus, happen for a reason via fate and through our destiny. Although, I also believe it is warped by our actions throughout life. If we are indeed not "born" gay, then following a person's change from straight to gay, their life will alter completely. That's what I believe..