1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay First World Priviledge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Leader233, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many heart rendering coming out stories of families being mad at or not speaking to people who come out LGBT. I have lived in/been to 22 countires and unfortunately in Africa and the Middle East that would be a blessing if that is all that happened. In most nations where Islam in the main faith, and Sharia Law is followed coming out LGBT will get you expelled from school, diavowed by your family possibly imprisoned and in many cases killed by a family member in an honor killing to remove your shame. I do not want to minimize the agony that many LGBT go through in coming out to there families in the US, but many should count their blessings that they are in the US and that coming out is not a death sentence. All of us should remember that those who are LGBT in those areas of the world face a daily struggle not unlike a Jew undercover trying to survive in Nazi Germany, exposure of your orientation means untold misery. Enjoy the nation you live in for all the faults here, there are many places far worse!

2. Hexagon

It isn't all about us, you know. Yes, it's terrible the way LGBT people are treated in much of the world, but there are countless reasons people are suffering, and we can't forget about them just because the suffering LGBT people give things a more personal touch.

I disagree that we should enjoy the nation in which we live. It doesn't follow that we must, simply because there are worse places to be. If we are to behave morally, we have a duty to work towards ending suffering, wherever it may be.

3. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately many Liberal Progressive people care only about injustice in this country and could not care less about what happens in the 3rd world.

4. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's bullshit. Don't try and guilt me with antiquated terms. Don't get me wrong, I understand their plight, it's my plight too. What an ignorant thing to post.

5. Hexagon

Ah. Well, I'm not a liberal. And I care about all of humanity, not just my little corner of it.

6. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easy to understand now how the world let 1930s Germany just slip by.

7. SomeLeviathan

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, can't we just both enjoy it and still fight for more justice? Even if it is better here than in another place, we could still try to improve the current situation, right?

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, that's what my counselor said when I was talking to her about my fears. Gay sex is legal, and now marriage has come to my home state! I can actually find jobs that won't discriminate against my orientation. I'm so much better off than I would have been if my parents lived in India or some Arab country. With this privilege comes an obligation, IMO, to fight for the rights of LGBT people everywhere.

10. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a non sequitur. You'll have to explain this one to me.

11. One Man Army

Yes, I will enjoy the nation I live in for all the rights we have, and every day I realise how privileged I am. However, there are still some attitudes that still need to change (e.g. transphobia) even in my first world country.

Of course things are much, much, much worse in over 100 countries around the world, and don't think that we've forgotten about it.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That reeks of telling us not to improve our lives because we don't deserve it.

In any case, you ignore massive LGBT suicide rates, homelessness, mental illness, and drug abuse. Those disproportionate problems, particularly rampant in the US, are not a privilege.

Yes, care about the issues of those in oppressive regions. But don't a) turn this into slamming the whole of the developing (not 3rd; that term is generally considered unpleasant) world as barbaric enemies and ignore the problems in the US and many European and Oceanian areas, and b) derail the need for LGBT rights to continue to support us in a world where we have marriage, but poor healthcare, poor sex education, more homeless members of the community, and more mentally-ill than the general population.

I don't want to live in a developed world with same-sex marriage, only to have the daily lives of LGBT people ruined and left unsupported because "look how lucky you have it" is all the more fortunate members of our community and a cisgender and heterosexual outside public can manage.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

not openly, anyway, they can fire you for anything and cite a different reason

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This is not gay privilege, It's cultural privilege. And I sympathize that many countries are more homophobic, but don't play the who has it worse game. It's a terrible thing to say that someone who is hated by their parents, and in some cases kicked out of the house to 'count their blessings' just because the government isn't throwing them in prison.

15. Weekender

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for counting blessings, but "Telling someone they can't be sad because others have it worse is like saying someone can't be happy because others have it better."

#15 Weekender, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the general sentiment of the responses:

1. Sure, things are worse in other nations for LGBT people. Some of them have to live underground to avoid being killed. I understand that.
    2. Things being worse in other nations does not mean that we should stop fighting to improve things in our own nation.
    3. Wanting to improve things in our own nation does not mean that we "don't care" about what happens in other nations.

However, I don't know if OP was implying #2, but people seem to have taken it that way.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The situation in Africa and the Middle East for LGBT people is terrible, but that isn't our fault. We cannot force the governments of these countries to accept pro-LGBT laws. Countries are free to make their own laws - and even if those laws are insane, prejudiced or evil, there is nothing we can do. Countries evolve over time - homosexuality was illegal in the UK until the 1960s. Nobody forced this to happen - it just did. What things are socially acceptable change - and this is eventually reflected in the laws of said country, especially as the older generation are phased out.

Understandably, I am more concerned about affairs in my own country first and foremost as they directly impact on my life. If that upsets you then tough. I feel sorry for LGBT people in the Middle East but unfortunately there is nothing I can do to help the situation there - the only thing that can change the situation is a significant change in social mindsets.

#17 imnotreallysure, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

it's not ok the way we're being treated here, and it's not ok the way they're being treated over there. The fact that it's even more not ok the way they're getting treated over there doesnt make it any less not ok the way we're getting treated over here.

it needs to get better everywhere