1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otherkin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Leonardo, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was looking up genders and I came across the term "otherkin". As far as I'm aware, it's not a gender, but refers to people who identify as non-human, but please do correct me I'm wrong on that.

Have you heard this term before? Does anyone here identify as otherkin or know someone who does?

I know I must sound awfully ignorant, and I apologise, but I don't really think I understand it. I'm not meaning to cause offence, but can someone explain it to me? How someone can identify as not human? What pronouns should you use?

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i identify as a fluke and a tapeworm and kinshift to nematoda species on occasion

you don't sound ignorant it's really just a bunch of stupid

3. SomeLeviathan

why do you feel the need to horizontally oppress people who aren't oppressing anyone else by identifying with non-human entities?

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I remember from the last time someone made a thread on them here several people here seem to get offended by people who identify as this. I don't really understand why. Whether people identify as something realistic or impossible it doesn't bother me.

5. SomeLeviathan

there is a current of people who identify as otherkin that are trolls from 4chan and other such toxic cesspools of the internet. I specifically am offended and have issue with the people who are doing it for trolling purposes.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i legit cant tell if this post is goofing or serious but i have never seen healthy people over age 25 identifying as otherkin not try to lump this internet totem pole of boredom and longingness and their OPRESSION (dad not recognizing my dragon identity and my boss not accepting my werewolf cries and phantom limb hopping mid checkout) with actual gender identity harassment and issues

7. SomeLeviathan

>implying people who are otherkin are inherently mentally ill (nice ableism) [perpetuating oppression]

maybe you aren't the gatekeeper or arbiter of what people choose to identify, yeah?

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Haha seriously, that is pretty ridiculous

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

why are there no legitimately healthy adult people doing this, why is it all exclusively on the internet, why are there no otherkin ceos and professors and bankers and politicians and teachers and etc

like if you want to spend your teen years identifying as simba cool but when it actually gets into real queer spaces, turning the people that need them away from it...... nope

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't really get it. I don't like when it's compared to being transgender though

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

leviathan u have topped my own game i legitimately cant tell if your goofing

12. SomeLeviathan

the reason I will defend otherkin is because all of the arguments used against them and their identities are the same shitty arguments TERFs make against trans people.

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may strongly wish I weren't human but I'm not gonna claim I have the 'soul' of some other animal, or that I was born in the wrong body. While this feeling is persistently strong and never goes away, it's a fetish as far as I can tell. I think these people are taking it a bit too far with their claims.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

not goofing, just trying to make a point on a different issue?

ok

15. SomeLeviathan

no. I'm making the point that people saying to otherkin "but you aren't really X" or "you're just delusional" is 1. ableist and 2. directly analogous to TERF arguments used to oppress transpeople.

16. DarkestDream

I can't tell if this is a serious post either. However..as I DO know people who identify as otherkin..it is a legitimate identity for some.

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people believe they had a past life; I can't prove it wrong. No, I can't prove that you don't have the soul of another animal or something and if it makes you happy, go for it. You can believe it, and I can believe it's delusional, but that doesn't mean I am going to try and stop it. That is what is great about freedom, no?

#17 MintberryCrunch, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  18. dreamcatcher

^^ Basically this. I wouldn't worry about it OP. Don't feel bad about not understanding it. It's an internet thing where a person feels that their soul is from a wolf. Or they may feel that they are actually a fictional character from the Legend of Zelda.

I really dislike the idea of otherkin being compared to transgender. And even worse is the idea that otherkin should be included in lgbt community.Being otherkin is not the same as being trans. I don't even know how people can compare someone saying that they are actually Legolas from Lords of the Rings to a trans person. If I were trans, I would find it insulting to be compared to otherkin.

19. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If they really were to be non human pretty much the entirety of them would be bacteria(like 99.99999999999999%). Even if you didnt count bacteria and only animals, most of them would be ants or other insects. Now I don't know about you, but I've never heard of any of these people claim to be ants.

20. SomeLeviathan

because being a product of the internet somehow makes it less valid?

You know what offends me more as a transgender person? People who use TERF arguments to oppress people who aren't oppressing anybody by identifying as something nonhuman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.