1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School seems to have NO gay people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 9, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

Statistics show that about 4-5% of people are gay (LGBT)... Yet in my entire school, there are about 8 people out of 1000 who are openly gay, lesbian or bisexual. That is less than 1%. This, I would assume, means that LIKELY, about 30 - 40 people in my school are closeted or confused about their sexuality and are not ready to tell people yet. This sucks for me, because I would love to offer support to those who are currently struggling, but I don't know who is. They could always reach out to me themselves as I am openly gay, but they may be afraid of my judgment or something. I'm pretty popular so people may be intimidated by me. I just wish I could help some people with what they're dealing with and be a support system for them, because I know first hand how difficult it can be to not be accepted or to fear judgment.

2. Ryujin

Have you thought about starting a GSA?

3. mangotree

I think we underestimate the number of bisexual people that are out there.
    They might only have a 10-20% same-sex attraction leaning, so it might not be something they feel like they need support for.
    Just a thought.

4. Hexagon

There'll be more.

5. 741852963

Well clearly thats more than the "NO gay people" in your topic title.

Its certainly an improvement from my schooling not long ago, where not a single person was comfortable to come out. That was a 1000 person school too, and so had probably seen over 1500 new pupils from the time I started to the time I left. No openly LGB people, not a single one.

Like Ryujin said, maybe think about starting a club or friendship group - you'll have a couple of members at least and a bit of a sympathetic ears who can relate.

6. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my school of 1700 I am the only out LGBT person, I'm in a small town so stereotypes are taken as fact so when I came out I remember a few people saying that they expected to dislike any gay person they had met, but I had changed their minds by being just a normal person. Even if being out isn't beneficial for you to see other LGBT people, you are having a bigger impact by challenging peoples bigotries and showing that we are just like everyone else and that you aren't ashamed of who you are. If there had been more out people when I was still coming to terms with my sexuality I probably would have had an easier time.

Just remember that by being out and being proud of who you are is supporting others even if you can't always see it.

7. CyanChachki

Maybe you could ask the school to start up an LGBTQ support group for anyone struggling with their identity or whoever just wishes to join.. if allowed, you may want to get a teacher there because there could be a few bad apples waltzing in and being completely homophobic. Therefore, those who join could be open with the group while still being a little more discreet AND if any of you runs into any kind of bullying, they know who to go to for help and support.

8. bornthiswaybby

The reason I said "NO gay people" in the topic is because where I live is gay friendly. Canada in general is very accepting to gay people, though we still face discrimination it is not as bad as certain states, such as Texas. My school already has a GSA, but it's kind of shameful the way it is run. Not to sound conceited, but the people who run it can kind of make others uncomfortable because they're so bizarre, and they really don't try to do anything with the GSA. They make an announcement to join, and then once you join, you literally just all sit there and talk to the very few people involved as if they were your bestfriend (which is difficult when the people running it are not socially inclined and rude). I feel like the GSA in my school is looked down upon as the "weird kid group" honestly, and I have no way of taking it over or gaining control of it to make positive changes. It just sucks because I know there are more gay/bisexual/lesbian people, possibly even trans people who are closeted at my school, and I know how horrible it is to keep that in. I think I'll reach out on social media, for National Coming Out day, to offer my support to anyone who is struggling. It definitely won't reach my entire school but at least some people will see it.

9. jahow95

No statistics on sexuality can truly be accurate because it is something that many people are dishonest about. The figures you have seem extremely conservative and I would suggest that 4-5% is only those who admit to being LGBT, I have a friend who is a therapist and from all the evidence he's gathered he thinks the figure is likely to lean towards 15%.
    Regardless... I have preferred to go through what I'm going through alone, I don't have any desire to be open about it... maybe people at your school feel as I do.

I go to an all boys' school with a mixed sixth form, and while I was in the lower school there was only 1 openly gay guy of 1500 students.

10. KazTastic

Wait a few years. You'd be surprised to see how many of your classmates turn out to be queer.

11. Candace

I think that there are more than you think. They probably just choose to not announce it and keep it to themselves.