1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be friends with yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

How do you overcome personal insecurities? How do you come to a place where you can comfortably say you'd be friends with, or even date, someone like yourself?

There's a Groucho Marx quote that seems to apply to this situation: his famous "I don't care to belong to any club that would have me as a member". At the end of the day, that quote really seems to stem from becoming comfortable with yourself. Or, at least comfortable enough to *like* yourself.

I struggle with a lot of insecurities. I've had numerous friends before tell me that I'm funny and I always brighten their day, but lying in bed at night, I wonder if I'm obnoxious and annoying and they just say those things to be polite. I hate the sound of my voice. It's a weird mix of being deep but also nasally. Even though I've had two people tell me before, out of the blue, how relaxing it is to listen to, I still cringe when I hear myself on tape, and I avoid talking too much or giving speeches in front of my class because I worry I sound irritating. I hate my big front teeth. I hate how outgoing I become when I get comfortable around someone, but walk away later worrying that I've weirded them out. And I know I should consider myself lucky to be blessed with "good genes", but I just don't see it. It's strange, because I have an identical twin sister and she's gorgeous. Everyone tells her she should be a model, and they're right. She's tall, very thin, pretty. I guess that should count for something, but I still feel like the lesser twin compared to her. Maybe it's because she's always being hit on by guys and having guys give her their number, and I'm never hit on by anyone. I personally think we look very, very different, but I suppose all identical twins feel that way. To be honest, it's hard to avoid comparing myself to her in whatever we do.

So, how have you overcome your personal insecurities? Would you be friends with yourself if you were in someone else's shoes for a day? How did you learn to love yourself enough to feel like others could really love you too? Or are you still trying.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I would totally be friends with myself. I'm awesome

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too--that definitely was not always the case. I think I was probably always kind of awesome:lol: but it definitely took me a while to realize it.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell, no. I play too much Floyd to annoy just about anyone. My obsession with things like Homestuck has gone far beyond the realm of health, and I'm a bitchy, insecure, irresponsible child. I'm quite surprised I have as many friends as I do.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be rather boring having a friend with no differences in interests, background, friends or thinking.

I would also consider myself as competition.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this comment really interesting--may I ask competition for/over what?

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Intelligence, grades, accomplishments, looks, abilities. Really anything and everything. I would have to be better than myself. If he (that is, the other me) were better, that would mean I would be neglecting to do all I could to reach my potential.

#7 Aussie792, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  8. Blossom85

Thinking about it and I do think that I would be friends with myself.

9. Rosalynn

But of course! The conversations I/we would have!

10. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a fucking asshole. If there were another me, I'd be fucking his asshole.

Edit: I swear this site is turning me gay.

(Is just joke relax).

11. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no way that i would be friends with myself. im too much of a know it all, always have to be rght, usually a self-centered asshole, am way to weird and psychotic, and am really REALLY REALLY annoying almost all of the time. its actually quite a shock that im so popular really. including the fact that almost everyone in my class is a religious Republican. but i wouldnt ever be friends with myself. im just not perfect enough for my standards.:bang:

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

we would be more than friends

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I could be friends with myself, yes. In fact, I'd quite welcome the opportunity, really.

Between the two of us, we'd push one another, directly or indirectly, to get better, to improve, to just increase their worth. I'd embrace that.

As for how you overcome personal insecurities, you have to find a base to work with. You need to find something you are good at, that you have confidence in, and go from there. It can be a grueling, even tedious process, but if you are really wanting to better yourself, it is a process that must be done.

Embrace kind words, and be kind. Hopefully, what you invest will be returned; but be wise with this, or else you may be used or taken advantage of. If you find the right people, you will be on the right track.

14. Anongirl123

Hmmmm. Sounds a bit like my life as an identical twin! :icon_wink Except the fact that she's also most likely straight (or if not, then at least doing a very, very good job hiding it).

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

(*hug*) for the op

for me, no not yet. i cant imagine people enjoying my company. i am not a good or attractive or passionate person. but maybe one day.

16. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah, I think so. It might be a little boring though, I like talking to people different than myself, it's more interesting

17. Sorceress of Az

Well,
    since I always seem to look for similarities between my self and other people when searching for new friends or some one to date, I suppose I could be friends with my self.

Date my self, hell no. I am thin, boney, tall, my teeth are not straight, my neck is messed up and I look like i am slouching even when I am not because the bone in my neck does not straighten,
    I have facial hair, and never can get my nails to be even, clean and pretty.
    my right middle finger is messed up and does not straighten
    I can't go into falsetto any higher than middle C.

on the other hand
    My complexion is clear, my skin is smooth, my private part is actually quite impressive I have been told and pretty.(hasnt seen much use)
    I have an intense and mysteriously captivating stare.

I am perverted so even if I did not date my self, some thing else would happen...

18. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, i would but I'd clash with myself way too much. I'm very stubborn, very loud, prideful and kinda aggressive.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Most of my friends are a lot like me. It is hardly narcissistic. I'm not in love with myself by any stretch of the imagination, but I know I can't be someone else other than the combination of physical and personal traits I possess. So, with these friendships with very similar people, it's that you have a lot more in common. I think "opposites attract" is bunk, for the most part.

20. RAdam

Obviously! If I'd only had a twin!