1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you rather..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dreamcatcher

Would you rather be happy and dumb or intelligent but miserable? (Let's just assume you live in a world where you can only be happy if you're stupid and intelligent if you're miserable.) Which one do you value more and why?

2. thekillingmoon

That's a tough question. As much as I'd like to stay intelligent, I'm tired of struggling with depression, so if there was a way to be happy I'd probably take it. Even if it means not being the smartest cookie in a jar.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Define the intelligence.

If it's just general intelligence, I may go with the intelligence and miserable. If I'm that intelligent, I'd figure a way out of my situation. Also, I would like to assume, I would be intelligent enough to make others happy, which would possibly make me happy.

If we can't change our situation, then, still the intelligence. I like thinking, in general, and those who think tend to control those who are dumb. So, I might be miserable, but I would have ways of lessening that feeling -- by distracting myself, with the happy and dumb population.

4. Hexagon

Intelligent. The unexamined life is not worth living.

5. dreamcatcher

By intelligence I mean:
    - the ability to think creatively and use knowledge to make real world applications
    - the ability to think abstractly about things
    - the ability to generate hypothesis, theories, and make inferences based on observations
    -the ability to generate new ideas and make these ideas into reality.

And in this hypothetical, you cannot escape the misery. Even if you're super intelligent, you will always be miserable... forever!

6. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd rather be stupid.

7. White Knight

How miserable are we talking about? What kind of happiness?

I hate stupid people so even if I would be miserable, I would go with intelligence...

much like real life. :grin:

8. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The choice has already been made up for me.

9. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom had my IQ tested when I was in high school and it was over 140. I sit in my yard truck and to fight boredom I do math in my head. I can run the Fibonacci sequence into the 10 digit range and multiples of two into the 7 digit range before I get confused. I also wonder how the hell nobody has noticed that Einstein's theories of relativity are flawed and cannot rule out that achieving speeds grater than the speed of light IS possible. Then I realize that there are very few people who I could actually have this conversation with and none of would take a felon who is stuck driving a yard truck seriously.

Yes, I am a very intelligent person, and do you know what it hasn't helped me out very much. It actually causes misery! I overanalyze everything. I am smart enough to know that the working conditions around here are complete bull shit and that I could easily do my bosses job 10 times better than her incompetent ass because she lacks foresight and the ability to think for herself. My brain keeps going constantly and often I cannot sleep because of it.

The place i work seems to be a magnet for dumb people. About 30-40% have trouble learning how to do basic tasks. They are too dumb to realize that the company is working them into an early grave. BUT These people actually come to work each day and seem like they are TRULY HAPPY. They are always smiling and are grateful that they have a job. I'm not saying that they aren't good people. Many of them are caring and kind just that that they really aren't that bright.

I've done intelligent and miserable. I would gladly give up being intelligent if it would mean that I could truly be happy.

Hexagon I have to disagree with you there. What good does it do you to be intelligent enough to examine your life if all of it just leads to misery? What's wrong with not knowing why you act the way you do or how everything works if you are truly happy with who you are and glad that somehow those things magically work?

10. Nikky DoUrden

Marvin the paranoid android would prefer to be stupid! poor thing..

[​IMG]

11. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ignorance is Bliss.

12. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The age-old question.

Depends on how dumb, I guess. Andy Dwyer from Parks and Rec is not very intelligent, but he's a happy person, lovable, and seems to have a pretty good life. I could see the appeal in that.

What's the point in being intelligent if it's not going to do you any good?