1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for painting toe nails?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JessicaWolfess, Oct 10, 2014.

1. JessicaWolfess

Hey all, was wondering if anyone of you could submit a few tips on painting toe nails (what to get what to do how to make the polish last) anything wpuld be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I read this as pointing toe nails and I wanted pictures of your toe nails to see what you were talking about lel.

Yeah, hang on. Later tonight eastern time. I'll come back on. My entire family are nail technicians. lel. I'll help you out.

Contrary to popular belief I'm not alwas an asshole and actually try to help those with nails and computer problems. I also love building computers.

3. Hexagon

Buy nail polish. Apply.

4. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    [​IMG]

Hang on a little while longer. I'll come back with my mom's steps I promise.

5. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Alright, sorry for the long wait. A lot of things happened, I got pretty mad at stuff, and my hard drive decided that it wanted to die twice. But it's 9:52 est and just as promised I have returned with my mother's insight.

-Clean your toe nails and toe. Imagine a spa day for yourself.
    -Dry your feet and toe nails all that. If you want to tidy up with some nail clippers or file alrighty.
    -Before you add the nail polish add a base coating. It does exactly that. Goes at the bottom layer.
    -After that dries put on the color you want.
    -After that dries put on the top layer. The top layer makes it shine.

Depending on how well you did/take care of them that is the determining factor of how long they'll last. My mom does it and usually last a good twoish months. Then again she does this for a living so there's that.

6. Frodofox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Put cotton swabs between your toes to separate them easier and not to make a mess. (They also sell special foam things that do the same thing) Cheap stuff from dollar stores usually chips easily and all fast dry ones LIE (just a warning). However you don't need to break your wallet on the stuff. Try different brands and see what works best for you. Using clear polish as a second layer protects it and makes it shine.

7. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OPI, my mother uses them a shit ton. The clear polish goes third. You forgot the base to even out the nail itself.

8. JessicaWolfess

Thanks I put the colour on while the base was wet and the paint came straight off the next day in my socks =/

9. 8Knight8

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    if you're wanting to go with a long term choice you can buy gel polishes like Sally Hansen that harden under LED lights. they're not the cheapest but they last forever it feels like

OPI is a really really popular polish as well

just make sure the nails are clean before you start, and always use the base and top coats :slight_smile:

used to be a cosmetologist

10. black-cat

Practice. Practice is a big part of it.

I get into a rather peculiar position, with my thigh up against my chest, with my chin just above my knee, but in the floor and the paint my toes, I find it gives me a stable area to work of, supporting my hands, arms and leg from shaking. It takes a lot of fidgeting to work out what works for you and your body, haha.

Anyways, you can use toe separators you get in manicure kits, cotton balls, or even marshmallows (I don't do this but my friend vows by it) and then slowly paint doing 3 ish strokes. One in the middle, then one at either side. Obviously your big toe will need more than your pinky, just don't go and do 20 strokes for no reason.

It is better if you use a clear coat under and above the colour to seal it in and help it to last. Do 2-3 thin layers of paint rather than 1 thick one.

You will get the little rib of colour around your nail bed once you are done, that's fine, everyone gets them (unless they are a pro or something) I find it is easier to remove these by soaking my nails in warm water once the paint is fully dry, and they will just ease off, rather than rubbing away with a cotton bud and nail polish remover.

I hope this helps, good luck, have fun and yay for nail polish!~

#10 black-cat, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014