1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nouns

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Ryujin

Does it annoy you when someone refers to you by using you sexuality/gender as a noun? For example, 'No, I don't hate gays' rather than 'No, I don't hate gay people' or 'These are toilets for males' rather than 'These are toilets for men/boys/male people'.

2. Doudline

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This gay couldn't care less.

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like being called "a gay", I will admit. But I'm not going to really do anything about it other than feel secretly annoyed.

4. lemons123

Well, great OP.

You should teach me some grammar i guess...i can't spot the difference here? I mean i guess it's because english isn't my language and i am not even using the Latin alphabet but i am trying :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

5. Hexagon

Yeah, it does.

6. Ryujin

I am confused as to what you mean by not using the Latin alphabet, but as for the grammar:

A noun is often described as 'a naming word'. It's a word that is used to refer to an object, for example, 'table', 'chair' and 'dustbin'. Terms such as 'gay' and 'bisexual' are adjectives which mean they describe a noun or a pronoun (pronouns are words such as 'he', 'she' and 'they') like 'red', 'round' and 'impossible'. Using the term 'gay' as a noun (as in 'a gay') rather than an adjective (as in 'a gay person') is technically incorrect grammar but some, such as myself, also find it annoying in a sense that (at least in my case, it may not be the same for others) being referred to by our sexuality is using that to sum up our entire person rather than it simply being an aspect of ourselves.

7. Weekender

It does bother me. Of course, it's not so much the fact that they're using adjectives as nouns (there are a good number of words that can grammatically function as both), but I specifically prefer to call myself "gay" rather than "lesbian" because the latter is more typically used as a noun. To my ears, using "gay" as a noun sounds awkward.

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No more so than when people say I'm an American, rather than an American person. I think "bisexual" makes a perfectly appropriate noun...I likewise feel that "homosexual" and "heterosexual" make perfectly appropriate nouns.

The one I don't care for is "gays". A gay just doesn't make sense in my head, probably because the word was originally (and so remains stuck in my brain as) an adjective that had nothing to do with homosexuality...it's like talking about a round instead of a round object. I would say I have a mild objection to "Black" as well...we don't talk about pinks...although we do talk about oranges and Whites, so I don't get too upset about it.

But the rest don't bother me much.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I alternate "gay people" and "gays" only for convenience. It is easier to say "I am bi (adjective)" than to say "I'm a bi (noun)" but as far as plural is concerned, I would have no issue being grouped in with "bisexuals."

Grammar is a system of rules which works for us, not the other way around. :wink:

10. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't understand what you're asking. Do people really get upset if I say something like, "That's the boys changing room." or "That girl was sitting there."?

11. Candace

Not really. I don't like it when people say "gay people" as a whole, since they're implying that I'm just like everyone in that demographic, which is not true at all. We're all really different and generalizing is not cool.

12. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Gay people can fly pass it on.

13. Ryujin

Boy isn't the gender, male is the gender.
    Girl isn't the gender, female is the gender.

Boy would be a child who is male.
    Girl would be a child who is female.

Does it sound right to call a person 'a female' or 'a male'?

14. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I use it when I'm arguing/research paper and stuff like that. Other than that I just say men/boy/girl/gal/women/dude/bro/bruh.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do realize though that "people" is also a generalization-- just a broader one. Categories don't mean you're all exactly alike, only with select traits in common.

16. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It bothers me when people use it as a whole, like referencing me to the entire poulation of gays, cause everyone is different, but i dont do anything about it. i just sit quietly, but im really annoyed on the inside.

17. One Man Army

It doesn't bother me much. What does bother me is when it's used in a derogatory way, but then again, 'gay people' can be just as derogatory as 'gays' in a certain context.

18. jahow95

I swear male/female are nouns and adjectives. But it doesn't bother me at all, why would it?

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2014 at 10:38 PM ----------

I think it could be used offensively, but the intent of the person saying it is more important.

19. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind it, and I don't really see why anyone would. They're just referring to a part of your identity it shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable or ashamed.

I agree with this as well ^

#19 rhapsodic, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  20. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a nutshell, anything that ends in -sexual or -male is an alright noun for me, however, I vastly prefer them as adjectives.

For example, I could say "a homosexual," but I would much rather hear "a homosexual man."

Also, "lesbian" can go either way for me, but I also prefer it as an adjective.

For male/female, I go either way with no preference. I avoid using female/male outside of science essays and such or when referring to birth/biological sex. If I want to specify the gender of someone, I would say, "she's a girl" rather than "she's female."