1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does it disturb you if someone called you straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Litveninko, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Litveninko

so basically, this question is for queers and I was wondering if it upsets you if someone said you are straight, just like when someone calls somebody "gay" while he is straight and get offended. what about you guys?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Disturbing? Definitely not. Most of the time I'm indifferent, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's assuming :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i dont find it disturbing. i only find it mildly annoying when people assume. i set them right though, and manage to hold onto my head, and life begins to move forward again

4. Ruthven

i mean if you assume my sexuality in any way(bi gay straight whatever) based on how i look and/or becuz of my personality and stuff, i'm gonna be annoyed

i mean that's the only way i see someone callin me straight when i'm not soo...

course there's also the chance of bi erasure or sumthin and someone throwin away my attraction to guys and labelin me as straight...and so that'd be annoying too.

5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Yes, I honestly would be upset although I think I would just laugh it off because unless it's someone who knows or assumes I'm gay, it's a mistake

6. Jwis

No, most people are straight so most people assume that others are straight.

An example that happens fairly often for me is at work conventions. There are times that after hours and I'm hanging out with people I know from the conference. It has happened more then once where I get invited to a place such as hooters. I don't take offense to it. It can be a tad annoying though.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Not in the slightest.

That's what makes it a double standard :slight_smile: Being gay is something negative, so straight people don't like to be accused of it. Most gay people couldn't care less if someone thinks they're straight.

8. Stripe101

Most of the time I'm just kind of like

[​IMG]

9. sugarcubeigloo

Oh, god, no. I'd be a basket case if I were bothered every time that happened.

10. Sorceress of Az

I am brothered by it, even if I am not out yet, lol, when it happens I get this urge to tell them i am not lol

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, but... I can see how it could be problematic for somebody.

If somebody is closeted, the constant assumption of being heterosexual, could, trigger a sort of depressive mood. The whole 'coming to terms' and 'finding the courage/will to come out' with who they are, basically. Opportunity to come out is presented, but they cave, and once again, come off as a sort of failure.

I, personally, have no serious issue with it. If anything, it stifles a chuckle or smirk from me -- then I go about my business.

I have bigger fish to fry.

12. MrK21

Ok, currently I actually am straight, but considering for my previous scenario, I would rather be addressed as queer.

13. CyclingFan

Only if it's a real cute guy and that's preventing him from making a pass at me :slight_smile:

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't want cute girls to think I'm straight :lol:

It doesn't really bother me if someone calls me straight, the only reason it might is because if they call me straight or if they ask if I'm straight, I have to say yes in current circumstances. I just don't want to hide part of myself away and appear to be someone I'm not. But at the moment I'm still figuring things out, so :thumbsup: I don't feel offended though.

#14 Alder, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I'd be slightly annoyed but overall indifferent.

Being called straight is synonymous to boring in my head now (hence the annoyance) -they're willfuly ignoring a plethora of the worlds pleasures and I find that just wierd....
    Oh well, your loss buddy.

16. Blossom85

It doesn't disturb me at all, no.. I would most likely be stereo-typed as the typical straight girl, however I do wonder if based on my lack of being with a man has ever made anyone think twice about me.. But it doesn't bother me for people to assume I am straight..

17. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Lmfao, pretty much , nah

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes actually , because it upsets me that people think I'm straight just because of how I look and dress , they do it right off the bat both men and women . I know you can't tell someone's sexuality all the time but you really assumed I'm straight because I dress feminine and I'm pretty that offends me .:dry:

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I actually would be. Now, it's not to say I'm offended for being perceived as a straight male but it's the context I tend to hear people use it in. I've had people say my boyfriend and I's relationship is "technically straight" or I'm "basically a straight woman" and it really, really really really pisses me off. So I guess it really just depends on the context and why I'm perceived as straight. If I'm perceived as a straight acting male, it doesn't bother me at all, even though I think the whole idea of "straight acting" is kinda dumb.

20. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I don't like it at all.. Especially when men check me out.. They probably assume I like it and that I look like a good lay. That annoys me. I wish cute girls picked up on my lesbianness!