1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: are peoples sexualities subject to change during their lifetime?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Oct 11, 2014.

?

Are peoples sexualities subject to change throughout their lifetimes?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Not at all

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Only somewhat/slightly

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Anongirl123

Do you think peoples sexualities are subject to drastic change throughout their lifetime? What do you think of cases where you see men and women happily married for many years (fulfilled emotionally, sexually, etc.), and then one day - almost at random - they leave their spouse after discovering same sex attraction (and then proceed to call themselves gay/lesbian afterwards)? Do you think it's really possible to go so long convinced you're straight, without any doubt in your mind, and still actually be gay? Do you think it's really possible to call yourself gay or lesbian if you've managed to have very fulfilling opposite-sex relationships in the past (not any opposite-sex relationships, only satisfying ones), or at this point, are you only at liberty to label yourself bisexual? And what about the classic case of someone who's gay and 'switches teams' later on in life - I've heard of the stereotype where an older lesbian woman converts to men when she gets older, because she wants to have the 'traditional' family and male energy in her life.

I'm asking this because I feel like the fear of "turning straight" is preventing me from confidently accepting a label for my sexuality. Even though I haven't felt attracted to any of the boys at my school (and I'm almost 18), I still don't feel comfortable calling myself a lesbian because I'm afraid of hitting 40 and suddenly wanting to have a man in my life and a father for my kids. I'm afraid that 18 is too young to label ones sexuality, even though I watch YouTube videos about other peoples coming-out stories and I've never felt like I could identify with someone better. When I watch them, it sometimes feels like I'm listening to my own life story.

So, how do you confidently accept a label without fearing that your sexuality could change? If spending time on this forum has taught me anything, it's that sexuality isn't split into gay and straight, black and white, but is actually rather complex and fluid for a lot of people. I know that should be reassuring, but it actually only scares me more. All I want is an easy, simple label I can stick with for the rest of my life and not worry about.

2. Hexagon

A few people experience fluid sexuality. Most don't. I highly doubt you'll turn straight. People who apparently turn gay usually don't; they always were, and were repressing their sexuality. A lack of sexual attraction doesn't automatically mean an unhappy relationship, although it does tend to end with the gay partner feeling the need to date people they are attracted to.

For a lot of people, their sexual attraction is pretty straightforward, and the hesitation comes from doubt and shame forced on them by society and their upbringing. You may worry that you'll wake up one day and need a man, but that's highly unlikely. Society doesn't condion people to think they're gay when they're not. You recognise the attraction, and so it's there. What if you wake up one day at the age of 40, and realise you're not going to turn straight, and you've wasted 22 years?

Anyway, what's wrong with giving your kids two mothers?

#2 Hexagon, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It depends on the person.

I would never go with a woman. I am 100% gay

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i voted yes because i believe, that while not common it is possible

5. Formality

I can only speak for myself when I say no. I don't really know chemically/biologically speaking what sexuality is but my bet is that you are born with your sexuality and it doesn't change. Wether you are gay/straight or anywhere inbetween.

6. Blossom85

What I think is you are born straight or born something else.. Wether that be gay, bi, pan, trans etc.. It is your behavior that determines if you act the way you feel.. You might be gay but live a straight life for example, but the fact of the matter is.. You are always going to be gay, so I would say it depends.. It's not actually your sexuality that changes, but rather your behavior regarding your sexuality.

7. kaatkid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my personal experience, I think that it can be subject to change, seeing as that's whats happened to me a few times actually. Of course, this doesn't have to happen/apply to everybody, but I do believe in the idea that sexuality/gender are fluid.

8. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would say no. I think that people's sexuality will never change. What they think it is or whether or not they know what it is will though

9. Ruthven

i mean mine did. when i was 18 attraction to some women started happenin

i mean it just can happen i think. to some people y'know. it may hit you out of the blue one day or it never will but...

i mean but i see my sexuality and my gender as both things that really unlocked so to speak. like sumthin was already there but as my brain developed more they came about.

10. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a really difficult question to answer. I think it's kind of yes and no. Your sexuality is innate and it doesn't change, but develops overtime. The development happens with growth and experience and can be repressed by isolation and fear. If you are into one sex genuinely you'll probably always be but you might find that you may also be into members of the other sex as time goes on. It's confusing and different for everyone. Your sexual identity may change but your sexual orientation is innate and develops based off your age and experiences.

11. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Whether it's genetic, or it develops after birth, changing just depends on the person. Some people may develop some fluidity among their lifetimes.

Personally, I always have sexual attractions when I see guys. Yet for girls there's just no attraction. I can feel strongly emotionally attached and romantic to both genders, but I don't have any attraction towards females. It's not there. I don't feel it.

I can recognize that a woman is beautiful. I can admire her looks. Sometimes I might even get a little envious. Though that dives into some gender identity confusion I've been having all my life.

Given that I'm already 19, I doubt this would change. Most likely I would end up with a male. A female relationship could theoretically be possible for me, but it would have to be a consensual celibate relationship, and I doubt I would actually go for that unless in the future, things changed.