1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you become sure of your Orientation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sek, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Sek

Sek

This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

Personally, I've known I had homosexual feelings for pretty much as long as I can remember.. The earliest ones I can think of off the top of my head were when I was eight (I guess this was around the time I was starting puberty). I never understood them but thankfully I never thought they were 'wrong' and I was pretty sure about them.

Others I read about struggling to figure out their sexuality long after the age I did which makes me curious about the general ages people figure it out.

So what about you - have you figured your sexuality out yet? If so, when?

2. Alchemy

Alchemy Guest

I probably became consciously aware of it around the time I was 12 or so. Before then, I knew I preferred men on some instinctual level, but I never could articulate to myself just what that meant.

Looking back, I'm sure my first crush was on my (straight) best friend in middle school. I would get so jealous if he would go hang out with another group of friends, and he was the one of the very few people I felt completely comfortable and open around.

It was around the time I started high school that I understood exactly what my sexuality entailed, and embraced it. I came out when I was 15 and have been openly gay since.

3. The iD

Well I became curious a few years back, I was 12 and was just really learning about sexuality and beginning to grow up. And after a while, I have recently accepted my sexuality as bisexual, it was earlier this year.

4. Floki

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know I was gay until I was about 11-12ish but I knew I was different when I was about 9-10 because I knew I should of liked girls but I just didn't and I couldn't understand why and at the time I don't think I even knew what gay was.

5. lemons123

well...when i sucked something that kinda resembles banana...

6. Sek

Sek

Pfft! Everyone's a comedian! :dry::lol:

7. Hexagon

Three years... Couple of days ago. Honestly I'm not sure it's an orientation that lends itself to clarity.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I knew. I am so dumb

9. Ryujin

This. Exactly this.

10. lovinladies

lovinladies Guest

I remember telling my more that the girls were pretty and I wanted to kiss them when i was five.

11. DangerAlex

Never ever considered same-sex relations or felt attracted to another male until I met my boyfriend. I think I wrote a blog about it. We became fast friends, and then the dynamic shifted and I just went with it. I was 25, and we've been together for about 15 months now.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When all of my straight attractions fell away (very quickly) and I had the biggest crush on a friend's older brother. So, around 8th grade.

13. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I was around 16 years old

14. shinji

shinji Guest

↑↑↑↑↑ What the "doctor" said...

But it's like, okay... i guess. I mean, as long as you fall in love with someone, does it matter?

15. Sek

Sek

That's the sort of answer I'd expect from you, seeing that you're pansexual, haha. I can understand your perspective, but personally there's something about male characteristics (and parts haha) which I find attractive in a way that I've never felt towards female ones. I can't explain that. BUT that's a whole other topic.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Ninjacorn

I learned my orientation one or two years ago, when I started finding both girls and boys attractive. It scared me at first, but I came to accept who I am. :icon_wink

17. One Man Army

I Googled 'what's my sexual orientation' one night and the answer came up: YOU'RE GAY.

Thanks Google.

Ok, now for a serious answer. You see, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box and I assumed until about 2 years ago that I was straight. It didn't occur to me that I didn't find women attractive - I just thought that I was better than most men because I didn't ogle and objectify pretty ladies.

It was when I was in a relationship with a woman that I seriously began to question why I wasn't at all attracted to her, and yet I spent quite a lot of time looking at other men :slight_smile: It was in January this year that I finally admitted I was gay, but it was something I'd tried to repress for much longer than that.

18. shinji

shinji Guest

And... what if you take the physical attraction out of the equation? Would you still feel the same way?

19. Randomcloud

Well I "suspected" it from around 9 years old when all the girls in my class started having crushes on boys and meanwhile i was infatuated with Hermione from the Harry Potter films (aka Emma Watson, who doesn't like Emma Watson?). But all through high school I was in denial, probably because I was pretty religious at the time lol. Anyway I only accepted my orientation a couple years ago (so at age 18) and didn't start coming out to people till very recently. Better late than never, eh!

20. CrazyAwkward

I started seriously questioning at 15. I wasn't sure or accepting of it until I was 18.