1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You haven't known long enough

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Ryujin

If you've been following the WAYT thread for the last few hours then you'll know that I just came out to my parents and it went shittily. One thing they asked me was how long I'd known and I said a few months to which my dad replied that that's not long enough to be sure. I think it's more then enough to know it's not a phase. Opinions?

2. CrazyAwkward

I think that depends on the person. But if after a few months you can say "yes, this is what I am and I fully accept it" then that's plenty long enough.

3. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It does depend on the person, but I'd say if you've known long enough that you are comfortable enough to start telling people, then you've known long enough. You know yourself better than anyone else in the whole world.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

sometimes you're gonna be ninety seven years old and people will still doubt you

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I only knew for sure a few months before coming out to my parents. Ask them how long they want you to wait before you can be sure, lol.

6. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I haven't read your other posts, but your dad may be shocked and just needs time to come to terms with it. Some people take months, some take years to come to terms with who they truly are, so only yourself can know if you've known long enough.

Congrats on coming out though :slight_smile: .

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came out as well, and my parents say that "16 is probably too young to know." Well, my mom does, anyway. My dad hasn't said that (he's the more laid back one, and thus hasn't voiced concerns or denial like my mom), but my mom keeps shoving in my face that I'm probably too young to know and she keeps trying to get the support of the therapists she's been calling.

8. One Man Army

It seems like your parents still need more time to process what you told them. I mean, someone who's fully accepting of the L, the G, the B, the T, and the + wouldn't make a comment like that.

Your parents will need more time because they can't access your inner thoughts, so they can't know what you know for sure. I know it's frustrating but they'll need time to think it all through. I hope your parents realise that you're not just making it all up :slight_smile:

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yeah, my mom said a similar thing when I came out.

I suppose the only thing to do is wait. Prove to them it's not a phase

10. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wonder how long it took them to figure out that they are heterosexual. :eusa_thin

11. Blossom85

That is most likely their defense mechanism for being in denial perhaps.. Or bargaining with you.. I think just give them time to process it and then re-visit it a little later on. I am sorry to hear it didn't go so well.