1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious/Atheist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Oct 13, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Dear members,

I would like to know your opinions of whether an atheist person will be willing to be in a relationship with a religious person.

I'm a religious person but I'll keep my religious practices and beliefs to myself. My best friend is an atheist and I don't mention anything about it to him at all. I feel it shouldn't be a problem, right?

What are your views? :slight_smile:

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I would be in a relationship with them as long as they do not push their beliefs on me or constantly talk about god/Jesus/whatever.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

if they chill and you chill it should work just fine

if they unchill or/and you unchill, well.......

4. mangotree

I'm an Atheist in most senses of the word, and yeah I'd have a relationship with someone who was religious. I like people who have a spiritual side as long as it doesn't dominate their lives and everyone around them.

5. Alchemy

Alchemy Guest

As long as each person is respectful of the other peson's beliefs, and does not try to force their belief system on to the other, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I used to date a Christian (I'm a Thelemite) and we respected each other and got along ok.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes these relationships can be difficult because even though you might swear to not try to convert the other person, there's going to be a part of you that wishes they shared your beliefs, attended church with you, etc. It can add a layer of difficulty to the relationship, but doesn't mean a relationship like that couldn't work.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure I could date an atheist, just being honest...

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is interesting.. So I'll say it right away. :icon_bigg

I am in a relationship with a religious guy. And yes, I am an atheist (quite a vocal one too - I love to talk about it) and he is not an atheist. And we love each other. :slight_smile:

When either he or me wants to talk about it, we will. I'm not hiding anything and I'm very comfortable with my lack of religion. We discuss about things. I think it's more important to understand a person's point of view, than to have the same. Moreover, it depends on the level of religiousness. If someone is like "The Earth exists for less than 6000 years!", "Fossils are placed by the devil", "All gays go to hell", then I would not get along with that person at all.

It's all about how moderate the person is. :slight_smile: And no, I have no problem at all with religion, as long as I'm not surpressed, why would I?

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am religious and hold positions of responsibilty in my Church, but my partner is not religious at all. We get along just fine. We've had big debates and know where each other stands and we've arrived at a point of agreeing to differ. It's not a big issue in our relationship.

11. Blossom85

I think as long as you can both be respectful towards each other and not want to change someone's beliefs to your own, then it can work.

12. White Knight

Not maybe relationship one but my best friend is an atheist, she's always been. We are friends as long as I can remember. That caused many good debates or heated conversations between us in years. Tho I am not a very religious.

For me religion is between God and person so it should stay that way. No need to force your/religions views on others.

I think most important thing is being able to finish the day by saying "Wanna sink your holy sword in my heretic soil?" :grin:

13. Hexagon

I think I'd have trouble. It's a matter of intellectual compatibility. But I wouldn't rule it out.

14. Ridiculous

I really don't think I would be able to be in a relationship with a religious person. I've never had a problem being friends with them but I expect I'd be exposed to a lot of the silliness that comes with religion if I had to live with them.

In fact any sort of superstition is basically an instant call off for me. If they believe in ghosts or star signs or homeopathy or any of that sort of rubbish they are out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

15. Secretly gay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm an atheist that goes to a religious school so most of my friends are religious and I don't have an issue. I just make it clear that I will respect all of there beliefs as long as they respect my lack of them. As far as I know I would never judge someone based on their personal beliefs and I don't think I know anyone who would. It all just depends on whether the both of you are able to compromise and not constantly try to go against eachother.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's unlikely. It would mean our views on a deeply personal and important issue are directly conflicting, and we would probably be forced to avoid the subject completely or else risk a disagreement capable of threatening the stability of the whole relationship. I think I need to have at least similar core beliefs and values as my boyfriend, because those are things I just don't have the time, energy, ability, or will to debate in a relationship of all places. I have met at least one religious person I would consider dating, so I can't rule it out completely but yeah. Very unlikely for me.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the extremism of both involved. If an empirical atheist dates a mild-mannered theist, they're probably fine. If an arrogant atheist attempts to date a snake-handling Pentecostal, things will get ugly fast.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto.
    [​IMG]

19. Randomcloud

I don't understand how a /devout/ person of a religion like Christianity (just to give an example I'm familiar with) can have a full relationship with an atheist. Just because for the very devout, their religion and it's teachings define who they are and how they live. Their God and their God's teachings take precedence over anything "worldly". In Christianity for example, marrying a non-believer (being "unequally yoked") is not condoned.

But if you're just a live and let live kind of religious person I'm sure it could work. My mom identifies as a Catholic and goes to church every week while my father and I are atheists. Because she doesn't really follow all of the crazy rules in the Bible, she and my father are able to just acknowledge they have different spiritual beliefs and move on

20. Jenna0780

It wouldn't really affect me, unless they try to get me to believe what they do, rather than simply voicing their own beliefs. It's no different than having two people with different religions. There's nothing wrong with sharing, as it may provide some insight as to why the other person may say, do, or think a certain way. Also, holding beliefs can also be a very important part of who someone is, and if they feel that they have to keep that part of themselves hidden from their significant other, it probably wouldn't turn out to be a very healthy relationship. I would like to be with someone who I can share my spiritual thoughts with, without them shutting me out. In return, I offer the same.