1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A letter to save Bricks of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Double Dubya, May 3, 2007.

1. Double Dubya

I am not asking you members of Empty Closets for money. I just want you to read this letter and tell me what you think. I will be mailing it to several people whom may have the means to help.

Dearest _____, I have written this letter twice.

I am a senior at *** **** High School which is an extremely poor district and it serves one of the largest communities, eleven towns. The school it’s self has not changed since my mother was there. Thirty years after the original completion, the district has finally been awarded enough money to build a new school. They have recently broken ground and in three years when the new school is finished, they are going to put a big tent over *** **** and implode it.

One thing that my school is fortunate to have is a wonderful English teacher. Ms. Hubbard has an unfathomable amount of compassion and zest for life. She strives to make us grow not in age, but in our thoughts and maturity. Ms. Hubbard taught my mother, survived cancer, then taught my sister, and is now teaching me. For over twenty years she has been standing in front of a brick wall sharing her wisdom and humor. These bricks in the wall have been silent witnesses to everything that has happened over the years and I am sure that they have absorbed every bit of knowledge, wisdom and compassion that Ms. Hubbard possesses. In a few years these precious bricks, which mean an incredible amount to anyone who has ever passed through room A, will be amongst the rubble remains of *** ****. She has touched the lives of many and I am sure that anyone who knows her wishes she could keep her bricks. Mrs. Hubbard has gone to the building committee to ask that the bricks be reused in her new room, but the request has been denied due to budget.

Now I told you that I have had to write this letter twice. The morning after it was originally drafted, Mrs. Hubbard announced to the class that her cancer has returned. She has now gone through surgery to have it removed and is currently undergoing the third of six chemotherapy sessions. This is yet another impacting time in her life, and the lives of her students, that these bricks have bared witness to. Now with just a month left of school I have taken it as a personal challenge to save those bricks. I don’t have the resources; this is why I am writing to you. We need to hire a private contractor to put in a new wall so that they can remove, refurbish, and store the bricks until her new room is ready to be finished.

Ms. Hubbard is going to survive this cancer, live for 30 more years and someday she will teach my children the same way she taught my mother. But if the worst is to happen to her, it would be a shame to destroy this wall which has witnessed generations of students whose lives have been shaped by Ms. Hubbard. We all love her.

Please, please, help save these bricks of wisdom.

W. W.

2. Blamblazer

Blamblazer Guest

Just a few suggestions:

Dearest _____,

I am a senior at *** **** High School, which is an extremely poor district that serves eleven towns (one of the largest districts in the region). I have made this plea before but I ask you to again consider the need for this cause. The school has been serving these communities for more than a generation and now, thirty years after its establishment, the district has been awarded the money to build a new school. Currently, the plan is that when the new school is finished, they are going to put a big tent over *** **** and implode it. If we care at all for this historic treasure that has served us so well for so long, then we need to join together and tell the district why this school needs to be here for future generations of young learners.

One thing that my school is fortunate to have is a wonderful English teacher. Ms. Hubbard has an unfathomable amount of compassion and zest for life. She strives to make us grow not in age, but to mature into independence. Ms. Hubbard was there for my mother, later survived a battle with cancer, taught my sister, and now is teaching me. For over twenty years, she has been standing in front of a brick wall sharing her wisdom and humor. These bricks in the wall have been silent witnesses to everything that has happened over the years and I am sure that they have absorbed every bit of knowledge, wisdom and compassion that Ms. Hubbard possesses. In a few years, these precious bricks, which mean an incredible amount to anyone who has ever passed through room A, will be amongst the rubble remains of *** ****. She has touched the lives of many; I am sure that anyone who knows her wants her to keep her brick wall. Mrs. Hubbard has gone to the building committee to ask that the bricks be reused in her new room, but the request has been denied due to budget concerns.

Now, I told you that I have had to write this letter twice, and you should know that the morning after it was originally drafted, Mrs. Hubbard announced to the class that her cancer had returned. She has now gone through surgery to have it removed and is currently undergoing the third of six chemotherapy sessions. This is yet another time of trial in her life, and the lives of her students, that these bricks will bare witness to. Now, with just a month left of school, we need to make it our top priority to save these bricks. I don’t have the resources to do this alone, which is why I am writing to you. We need to hire a private contractor to put in a new wall so that they can remove, refurbish, and store the bricks until her new room is ready to be finished.

Ms. Hubbard is going to survive this cancer, live for 30 more years and someday she will teach my children the same way she taught the generation before me; however, if the cancer wins this battle, her commitment will stand if the wall, which has witnessed generations of students stands as a testament. We all love her dearly so let’s join together and preserve that wall!

Please, please, help save these bricks of wisdom.

W. W.

3. Double Dubya

Thanks, your version is much better then my own!