1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need fashion advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinNumber2, Oct 15, 2014.

1. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

I admire Tegan and Sara's style even though they're girls and I'm a guy. I guess I could only describe them as maybe indie/hipster? I don't really know. Anyway, what would be the guy alternative to this sort of style? I feel like my style needs updating. I've always sort of gone for alternative styles I guess :slight_smile:

Attached Files:

2. CyclingFan

If describe them as wearing thibgs that are a little androgynous/kinda "guy stuff".

Do you think you like the androgeny or the guy stuff aspect? Like those jackets, you could certainly find similar for guys but I don't think it would have the same effect on a guy.

3. kem

kem

If you're going for the stereotypical hipster style, basically anything combined with a beanie and a beard goes. Patterns and muted tones are preferable, avoid bold bright colours, unconventional textures and cuts unless you know what you're doing.

[​IMG]

4. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Yeah I guess the kind of guy stuff aspect. Its just that it's a little alternative but not like over the top

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: Although a beard just really doesn't suit me. It makes me look pretty grubby. I have a couple of beanies at home- a maroon coloured one and a grey one. I also got a leather bomber jacket a few months back but I'm not really sure what to wear with it. You sound like you know your stuff so do you have any tips?

5. kem

kem

depending on how warm it is, go with either a plain T-shirt underneath, pair it with a scarf of your preference, or add a sweater/knitwear (no hood usually works better). Jeans go well, but you can wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in (except shorts. no shorts.) The key to this style is really just wearing clothes that aren't too "fancy" or "stylish". Sticking to simple pieces and combining them in a way that is harmonious and effortless yields the best-looking results. Try to pick clothes that you feel most confident in. You can go with a button-down shirt as well, especially if you're wearing it under another layer, but a T-shirt works better with the casual feel of a bomber jacket. I would avoid wearing just a button-down and a bomber, definitely.

If it's black leather, try to stick to as few shades as possible, and one accent colour that you like to wear. White T-shirt + brown V-neck pullover + blue scarf/bandana + black bomber jacket with black skinny trousers for example. https://color.adobe.com/My-Color-Theme-color-theme-4580183/

If it's brown, you can combine several muted tones and an accent. https://color.adobe.com/My-Color-Theme-color-theme-4580194/

Colour coordination isn't a big deal, I just put those two palettes for inspiration :slight_smile: As long as you pick colours that are close to each other, aren't too flashy and you balance them off with something else, you're good to go. Patterns are nice to experiment with, but confidence plays a big part in whether you can pull them off or not.

I like to wear my brother's brown bomber jacket a lot. I usually combine it with a muted crimson scarf (one that isn't too bright), a black, grey or blue plain Tee – doesn't really show because it's too cold to keep the coat unzipped – and black sweatpants. For shoes I tend to go with yellow canvas trainers that I really should clean.

6. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile: I have a plain white t-shirt that I could wear I guess. I also have a light blue and light pink t-shirts which are sort of acid washed (I think that's the right term?). I was also looking at a cream coloured knitted jumper but wasn't sure if it would go. It's a black leather jacket btw. I some times wear a zip up hoodie underneath but I'm not sure how good it looks.

Ah yes I often steal my brothers clothes too. We're twins so we're the same height and weight- basically doubles my wardrobe! haha