1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye glasses vs. contact lenses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KayJay, Oct 15, 2014.

1. KayJay

I've worn glasses basically my whole life. Since I was one I have worn them. I think I am kind of tired of it though and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with contacts. Its definitely something that I am considering because I'm just super tired of my glasses. How are they cost wise to glasses? Is cleaning them difficult? Are they easy to lose like I have heard?

I'm just looking for any input you guys may have on the subject because I think it may be time to switch and info is good :slight_smile:

2. timo

I've worn glasses for what feels like forever and I don't think I'll ever switch to contacts. They're a part of me, I love my frames, and I look super weird without them.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This.

Also, glasses are easier to put on and take off. I like that.

Bonus points to glasses, because they serve as shields to my eyes. A few times, in my life, I've had my vision saved by my glasses.

4. Candace

I've always worn glasses (well, since I was five years old). I like them better than contacts.

5. One Man Army

I usually wear glasses, but sometimes I wear contacts if I'm playing sport. There are pros and cons to both, as you've probably guessed:

- Contacts are great if you're playing sport or running around. You also get better peripheral vision with contacts because there are no frames getting in the way, obviously.

- Also, there are some conditions such as astigmatism, keratoconus and aniseikonia that are better corrected by contacts than glasses.

- Contact lenses come in 'daily' or 'weekly' (I think) varieties. With daily lenses, you have to take them out before you go to bed, whereas you can sleep with you weekly lenses still in. However, there's a greater risk of infection if you leave your lenses in overnight.

- Overall, contacts are more expensive than glasses. That's the case in the UK at least. You also have to take them out as soon as you experience any discomfort. Eye infections are nasty - but rare, if you take the right precautions.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Here's my paradox. I'm growing increasingly vain but at the same time, I have shitty eyesight and contacts make me squeamish... I have astigmatism as a matter of fact. I used to wear glasses but it's been a few years since my last pair broke. But I've always been so paranoid about eye infections and putting anything in there that I never once considered contacts. I'll be getting my new glasses in a week. Contacts seem like they'd be convenient if you do a lot of physical activity.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried contacts before but my eyes seem to dry out very quickly when I wear them, so I end up taking them out due to the irritation.

8. Ninjacorn

I started wearing glasses when I was 8. I switched to contact lenses when I was 11, because wearing glasses is a pain in the butt. I still wear glasses and contacts, and my prescription is getting stronger all the time! :confused:

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Neither , I hate wearing glasses but I need them to see , I have not worn contacts but I don't like the idea of putting something so close to my eyes , I'm scare I'll hurt my eyes .

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am too lazy to consider contacts. Also, how will people not realize I'm a nerd if I don't have glasses?!

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like my glasses, they can be cute. However, I think I'd also like to try contacts, because I really do think I look better without glasses. Perhaps I'd only use contacts when I feel like them and glasses on other days.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I could stick contact lenses in my eyes on an ongoing basis. When I see people do that, I wonder if I'd miss!

Have you ever looked at an eye wear catalog or the ads in an optician's office? I'd say over half the people who have glasses, provided they're the right frames for them, look better with glasses. My friend who comes up with a lot of good ones says, "I saw a studious one. I thought of you." And not because I look studious, but because I like the studious look and it usually comes with glasses.

http://s3.favim.com/orig/39/boys-glasses-guys-handsome-hot-Favim.com-324916.jpg

I prefer wire frames to thick ones and some wire frames will always be in style. This guy looks good with his thicker glasses, but could look just as good, or better, with the right wire framed glasses.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like my glasses and I started a new school last week so I've been wearing my contacts (I feel more confident without glasses!) and it's been hell! haha. I can't wait to get home to take my contacts out. So uncomfortable and irritating and make my eyes so dry, not to mention red, which may look worse than my glasses... I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow (due for an eye checkup, its been 4 years anyways...) and I'm going to ask about different varieties of contacts; some are made of less materials that are more or less irritating (and depends on your particular eyes too), so I'm going to ask to try some different varieties. We will see how that works! I'm not that hopeful! Otherwise I'm gonna go back to glasses.

But I know a lot of people who find contacts comfortable and have no problems. I naturally have drier eyes, even wearing glasses. There's many pros to contacts -- obviously they are better for sports as people said. If you've worn glasses forever, you will be AMAZED at how beautiful the world is when you put contacts on. Glasses only cover a fraction (albeit the most important fraction) of your vision, but leaves your periphery blurry. With contacts you'll see how people with 20/20 vision see the world naturally, which makes me so jealous! Also, I'm sort of rough with my glasses and after 4 years they have a few scratches and always end up getting dirty within a few hours -- not with contacts, you won't have smudges or scratches. It feels much more free and natural, assuming you're one of those people who doesn't feel the irritation from the contact lens the whole time...

I don't lose my contacts easily unless I rub my eyes or mess around with them. You can't rub your eyes (like you're sleepy) or it may fall out, at least in my experience. I haven't lost a contact in years though. Plus, as people mentioned they are probably daily or two week contact lenses so it's not usually a big loss.

They are easy to clean. Not much work really. If you get daily you just toss them.... but I think two week lenses are more standard... still easy. Your eye doctor will instruct you.

And to the people scared to touch your eyes, get over it! ;P Wash your hands well and have a blast. The only way to get over it is to do it many times. If my hands are clean, I can touch my eyes and it feels like just touching any other part of my body. Though, I don't recommend touching your eyes. With contacts you don't really "touch" your actual eye that much.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've worn glasses since 3rd grade and contacts since 7th. I can't wait until I can get corrective eye surgery when I start college.

15. jahow95

I've been wearing contacts for a few years, I consider them much more practical than glasses. They come in daily reusable, daily throw away and monthly versions from specsavers - where i buy from. They can feel irritating sometimes but never bad enough to take them out.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too. :lol: I should wear glasses/contact lenses, my sight is not optimal. I do need to get glasses in order to get my driving license though. I'll pick glasses, because my eyes are sensitive and contact lenses are not worth the trouble. But when I have my driving license, I'll probably stop wearing my glasses. I'll only wear them when driving (that's my intention).

17. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I prefer glasses, but I like wearing them and having cool frames. It's a part of my style I guess :O..

Plus with contacts.. can't imagine putting something in my eye.

18. Gaidenxenomorph

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Honestly i just started wearing contacts myself and they are quite cheap and easy to use if you buy disposeable ones. Only problem is putting them in but once you get the hang of its so much better then glasses

19. Blossom85

I very much agree, I have worn glasses since I was 3 I think and I can't imagine being without them. They are a part of who I am now, and I always make sure to pick cool frames as well.

20. Hexagon

I have glasses which I rarely wear. I might switch to contacts if I had to wear them regularly, but it isn't a big deal at the moment.