1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, the topic of my men's group is bisexuality & bi-curiousity this week...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Oct 15, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My men's group is for guys who are bi and gay at the LGBT center in my area. However, it is usually me and maybe one other bi-identifying guy; the gay guys make up about 90% of the group. How should I handle it if someone is bi-phobic when the topic of bisexuality is discussed? I can deal with it here and outside of the center, but I have already have inklings that one of the leaders of the group may lean towards biphobia. Comments that he has made on his Facebook lead me to believe that. I have told the guys several times I am bi over the last several months since I began in the group in April. They have grown to like me, but I am worried. I like to be laid back at the meeting and not be tense. I also don't want to offend any of them. :frowning2:

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As soon as you mentioned that 90% of the men's group is gay, I figured this would present itself as an issue. It's sort of inevitable. I don't know why that's the case.

Be yourself. You don't have to justify anything. You don't even have to get into a debate and risk offending someone.

It's good that they like you. However, you can never go into any group and expect everyone to like you. Whoever likes you for who you are is true friend material.

Some have voiced it before. It's that "got us another one" attitude that makes a few gay guys feel better about themselves. It's about as annoying as a few men who surprisingly referred to all gay men using pronouns to describe women. Some need to just let it go.

It will be really interesting to see what comes up when this topic is discussed. Let us know how it unfolds.

3. Gen

Gen

People who are offended by being called out on their ignorant comments are not worth wasting time on. You have just as much of a right to feel comfortable and accepted without that environment; likewise do any other present or future bisexual members. When biphobic comments are made, speak your mind. Otherwise, the fact that you didn't and those around you are still stuck in ignorant mindsets is going to continue to eat away at you when returning in the future.

With that being said, many biphobic LGBTQ are no less products of their environment than homophobic heterosexuals. These mindsets are more often rooted in ignorance and misconception than actual hate. If the case that comments are made, you shouldn't feel that they are attacks on your character, rather they are from individuals who have been affected by ignorance and misinformed, and could possibly benefit from listening to the perspective you have to offer.

4. LD579

To add onto what has been said, think of them as learning opportunities, specifically in this setting. It sounds like the meeting's to discuss and explore issues about bi attractions — there will be people interested in learning things, and not as educated or informed as they could be or want to be, and hearing you speak against biphobia will help them redefine their own views on the issue, likely in favour against biphobic thoughts and so on.

If nothing else, take comfort in knowing that there is nothing wrong in standing up for yourself or in feeling offended due to biphobic thoughts. It's natural to feel that way and to react accordingly. Hopefully due to facing homophobia in society, these guys will be able to see things from your perspective if it is explained, and you can also help clarify if any ignorance is shown.

To those who don't show any interest in redefining biphobic thoughts, they honestly won't be worth much of your time at least in these kinds of instances where the central focus is on bisexuality. Biphobia and homophobia do exist and often we can get along with people who do have those kinds of thoughts as long as they ultimately accept us and work to challenge their own preconceptions, but don't let anyone intentionally attack you with the aim of hurting you. It can be about showing patience and recognizing that they don't know what it's like in several regards, even as a marginalized group of people themselves, but that you can help to change that slightly.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the responses. Admittedly, I have a crush on a few of the guys there. I don't want to sound like a buffoon and on the defensive. Dealing with anxiety makes everything a challenge. When Chaz Bono was discussed on "Cher" night, there were several transphobic comments made. And no, I wasn't cool with that either.

6. tulipinacup

If you think one of the leader could be biphobic about it, that's just one person. Who knows, maybe other groups would say something about it. I think the problem here is that you are worried about offending people but you need to understand that they themselves shouldn't be offending you in the first place. It's a support group and the point of the program is to have understanding and bond on topics that hit close to home with you. I hope it all goes well with you.

7. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let us know how it goes, definitely. Very curious!