1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebola Reaction?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CloudyEver, Oct 16, 2014.

1. CloudyEver

My parents are extremely concerned with ebola's entrance into America. I've done some research on it, and it's been stated, multiple times, that ebola is only contagious after symptoms are shown, can only be transferred by bodily fluids of someone showing the symptoms, and already been handled in regards to the three doctors/social workers in MD. The media is hyping it up and making a deal of it, but when don't they. The reason it's so bad in Africa is that touching the body of the dead is a tradition there, and by the time it was labelled an epidemic, the incubation period of ebola in the many people who'd encountered the dead of ebola had already ended.

As such, I'm not too worried the rest of the developed world, whether or not virus has entered the nation, so long as mishaps like the one in Texas don't occur any more.

What do you guys feel? And is anyone else (American or otherwise) disgusted by the absurd fear that people of a supposedly educated society are entertaining? Or am I perhaps under-reacting to a possible epidemic here in the States?

Also, if you are of a like mind, what do you think about people who entertain this fear? Because it seems extremely cowardly and hypocritical of the modern nation to even consider closing down. There are only two ways this will end: A lot of people will live global assistance, or a lot of people will die without it.

2. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are over 100 million people in the country. Out of those people, three have Ebola. I think the media is hyping it up way too much. We need to screen at the airports and have decontaminators to kill the virus on the suits so they won't need to take extreme precaution taking off their protective wear. I also hope that both parties don't start making a political game out of this. It seems all anyone wants to do is out a bill in place and say it was their idea.

3. AlamoCity

Well, as a Texan, I've seen the Texas news stations show the flurry of panic many people are going through. Some school districts are temporarily shutting down to disinfect after one of the nurses had contact with some people from Belton on a flight, people are taking more cautious precautions, etc.

Because of the way Ebola is transmitted, I am not that afraid so long as I don't have contact with people who are showing symptoms being ill. I'll be more afraid of a very virulent flu strain.

That said, given how we Americans react, I find that the greatest catastrophe from an Ebola epidemic on American soil will come from the panic, disinformation, and sheep mentality that people have and that may very well lead to more deaths from the paralyzation of our infrastructure than from Ebola itself.

4. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Australian and the response to ebola is just insane! The media has sensationalised it such an extreme extent, that rationality has gone out the window! Everyone is talking about it and hardly anyone actually knows what it really even is. It's just gone way too far

5. timo

It's fucking overhyped and people make too big a deal out of it.

I'll keep joking about ebola until it's actually serious, which will probably never happen.

6. stealth

stealth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think they should stop letting them in im not one to be racits but it getting out of control

7. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Lol my parents are so freaked out too I am like wtf don't u realize that the flu kills a hell of ally more people in America then that. Lol I mean the change of getting Ebola in America is less than winning the lottery so umm I am still poor.

8. willycubed28

CDC said though today that Ebola is airborne, and so therefore all you have to do is breathe it in, and catch it.

9. AlamoCity

I think the panic stems from a disease that can actually kill healthy people. The flu* kills a heck of a lot of people, but most of them are either elderly, immunocompromised, are children, and/or have other issues (e.g. lung disease). When a disease like Ebola has the ability to kill indiscriminately in even the healthiest of cohorts, it causes grave panic.

* The Spanish flu was actually scarier because the healthiest of people were actually the most likely to die because the healthy immune system can actually "overreact" and cause a cytokine storm that essentially means your healthy immune system "kills itself."

10. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

There's no way to effectively shut down the countries borders. Like my mom( m d) told us with regard to any communicable disease(s): enteric precautions and reasonable minds. Another component to this hype is that the media makes their spots in the ratings with what grabs the most viewers at the right times . As long as it captivates they'll do whatever. Speaking of, since this is probably the only time I'd suggest listening to any dickwad from Fox News , check out what Shepard smith said about Ebola and the media .We watched his editorial in a lecture and it was so reasonable that I thought he might be symptomatic .
    The most important aspect to understanding anything, I've found ,is to edumacate oneself . I believe the cdc and the nih ; for those who would understand in better in another language , m s f and the Pasteur institute, all of these groups have extensive ,reliable information with regard to Ebola.

11. stealth

stealth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

with the airborne thing it not true iyou can catch it by bodly fluids

12. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

You can only catch it through bodily fluids from a symptomatic person .

13. stealth

stealth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yeah that why i stay away from hosptels till blows over

14. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

15. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jon Stewart summed up the media's freakout.
    [YOUTUBE]0QIWZ7HxuHc[/YOUTUBE]

16. CloudyEver

Where? Because their website, at Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
    says it's direct contact only.

17. willycubed28

I watched my local news, and they said that CDC came clean, and said it was airborne.

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kids at school make a lot of jokes about Ebola idk I think the news makes too much of a big deal out of it.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, if it hasn't been said already, you're in Alaska. It's safe to say that you will not be affected. There are other things to worry about unless you get the news it's in your town.

**If your location is wrong, my point still stands for the most part. It's bad, but not so bad that it'll bring about the apocalypse.

20. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    bullshit

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

Me and my friends make Ebola jokes all the time. Hell, everyone is talking about Ebola! This one kid even wears an Ebola-Chan button on his shirt... it's kinda creepy actually.

[​IMG]