1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Merciful Are You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Another topic, another question.

How forgiving would you consider yourself to be? Do you, in general, consider yourself to be a merciful individual? Is this a constant, or does it depend on your mood/the circumstances, as to whether or not you'll be forgiving?

They say, it requires a significantly strong spirit, to forgive another, especially if that 'another' is the culprit of misery for you. It isn't easy at times, and it can be considered an art at times, something that requires tremendous courage and remarkable sensibility. Of course, there are exceptions, as I assume many would not be forgiving, to somebody who burned down an orphanage and killed litters of puppies, while voting right-wing on election days.

How merciful are you to others? Friends? Family? Loved ones? Those who wrong, or have wronged, you?

2. Ryujin

Never forgive.
    Usually forget because I have shitty memory.

:grin:

I tend to hold grudges far too long but I can usually get over them eventually. I currently have a massive grudge against someone who used to be a good friend because they were essentially a single minded bastard on our trip.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think I can be merciful to anyone starting the second they no longer pose a threat. The exception is if they seriously hurt a close friend, family member or my cat. Or cats in general I guess. Harm cats even once and I won't forgive you.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im very merciful but i dont forget or atleast try not too lol but too a point am i forgiving

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The funny thing about forgiveness is that all the bad things you've forgiven someone for come up the moment you're angry with them again. As long as you remember those actions, you'll never really have total trust in them.

Forgetting is permanent. Forgiving is an active choice that's likely to burst apart when enraged. If what you're doing is not getting angry or upset, rather just letting them do what they want and attaching the label of forgiveness on it, then I think it's not so much forgiveness as approval of whatever they did.

I think healthy forgiveness requires change on both sides.

As for me, I rarely forgive or forget. I'm willing to be friends with someone, but I know their limitations and I know from which mindsets and behaviours they've come from and which they still have. Refusing to forgive doesn't mean exacting punishment.

#5 Aussie792, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Srsly? I guess I'm as merciful as the prophet then.
    I don't look for trouble but if someone wants it I don't mind fighting and it depends. I won't beat the fuck out of somebody just cuz so, ye , pretty prophet like I m h o
    That's the only mercy that applies to my situation. I'm neither important or old enough for anything more profound .
    Forgiveness and mercy are two entirely diff things .
    I'm forgiving depending on the circumstances . I defo don't hold grudges but I don't really deal with people who p m t f o so...

#6 Kriskluwe, Oct 17, 2014
  7. AlamoCity

That is my mother's philosophy. She's always getting after me because I can't forgive or forget as easily.

_ _ _ _ _

I want to say I can be merciful, but it's difficult given that I don't forget things easily, especially when someone has harmed me or my family/friends in some way. I am also more willing to be merciful to people I know than complete strangers, provided they have generally been good to me.

However, if someone in the past has done something against someone else, and I feel that they've either changed or made amends, I'm more willing to forgive/overlook.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm not very merciful.

I do not forgive so easily.

9. One Man Army

I am too forgiving. That, I think, is as bad as holding grudges and refusing to let things go.

10. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Mercy is for the weak.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very forgiving. I think holding onto things really only hurts yourself--I prefer not to give other people that type of power over my own happiness.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Extremely. Probably overly and unnecessarily so.

14. Blossom85

For me, it really depends on who is it and what they have done.. Anything family does I can forgive and friends as well.

My ex who broke my heart, I could never forgive her for what she did to me, the way she just took herself out of my life was inexcusable and I would never been able to forgive and forget for that..

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Conversely, I think mercy is weakness. Therefore only the strong can manage it and get by. Weaker individuals must rely on cruelty to succeed.

That said I think we should all strive to be merciful when the situation warrants it. It is important to know when to press the attack as well though.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SHOW NO MERCY!!!!!!!!!...........on the serious side, it really depends. it would have to be a bit more serious then usual to make me merciful towards other. i'd say it's extremely rare that i do that.

17. AAASAS

I'm not really merciful,it's hard for me to actually get over stuff so I can seem unmerciful because I sort of remember every little interaction I have with people, it's kinda weird. I don't ever wish harm on anyone though even if they did me wrong, like if someone cuts me off on the road, I may automatically think they're a douche but that's about it, I respect their blatant disregard for other people.

So I sort of never forget things, which can cause problems because if I take something as a negative happening it will stay with me forever, and I weigh them a lot heavier than positives, so I can remember every negative interaction I've had with people, like the most insignificant things, and that can make me seem pretty unfair and unmerciful because I can't seem to forget about things, and can judge people very quickly based on how they treated me for a short period of time; say one comment that wasn't even that bad if I perceive it horribly it stays with me forever.

#17 AAASAS, Oct 17, 2014
  18. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very forgiving. It doesn't mean that I let people get away with crap, but I am always ready to forgive and I don't hold grudges and all that.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most merciful. :wink: I can forgive, but I can never forget.

20. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. If you hurt me, I'll definitely need space and a lot of time to think before I can forgive you (or to decide if I will).

I think I should be more forgiving, because I'm always told that harboring hatred towards someone is not healthy, but at the same time, you have to know your worth and what you deserve, right? There should probably be a balance here, and that's definitely something I need to work on.