1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Your Price?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It is said, that everybody has a price. That there exist something, be it material wealth or personal improvement, which can make any individual 'sell out'.

Of course, several will say, they're too noble or strong to submit to such. This is fine, but even the noble souls and strong bodies have their vices. They may not permanently 'sell out', but they can temporarily be rendered into contemplation -- that counts, too, as it is still an opening to make use of.

That all said, I am curious...

What would it require to...

Give up your friends?
    Give up your family?
    Give up your job/school?
    Give up your loved ones?

Since I suspect a few, 'nothing' answers for those, I'll make this more interesting:

What would it require to, just one time...

Hurt everyone you value in your life? Just once. You can explain to them, why you did it, but only after you have hurt them.

If you still say 'nothing', then how about this?

What would it require to, just one time, buy your silence, and allow someone you dislike in life, to be killed? This can be anybody, from a dictator to your worst enemy, to somebody who wronged you, or society, in general.

I ask, for two reasons:

I, myself, have my price. And two, I am curious as to the complexities involved with, discussing and justifying, such situational predicaments as this.

What can I say? I like to study humanity.

2. Ryujin

I'm going to be all self righteous and that and say that money isn't going to make me give up my friends. Like seriously, offer as much as you want and you'll make me feel sick.
    Though, I would give up my family in a heartbeat sometimes, no price required.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I appreciate the honesty, Ryujin.

Of course, I am curious. When you say 'family', do you mean every single one of them, or only those you interact with the most?

4. Ryujin

All of them. I disagree with all of them on a regular basis. There are times when I get along with them, but I mostly feel alienated and just want to be away from them. I prefer to hide myself away at family gatherings, I want to complain about all the stupid things etc.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Well, what would you want in exchange for your family, though?

6. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think any price would be worth giving up my family, friends, etc. But with regards to hurting them just once, I don't think my price would be incredibly high in terms of either financial gain or personal improvement. I genuinely think the thought of not having to fret about bills, for even a short while, would make me sell-out worryingly quickly.

#6 El Extranjero, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  7. Ryujin

Nothing. Taking money or anything else for it would just hurt me in the long run. I'd prefer to just cut them off for free thanks.

Oh and, if you do actually have that power, please don't do it yet, I'm not financially nor legally independent yet, thank you.

8. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly nothing.
    No price could make me hurt or give up my loved ones.
    As for the last one, my own guilty conscience would not allow me to do that.
    So no, nothing.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is the kind of response, I was looking for.

Interesting... though I am curious, if you took nothing, would it not hurt you still?

As for the second part... p'ffft. You act like I'm some international assassin. LOL.

10. Ryujin

It would probably still hurt me, but less so. I would be able to get over it, to understand my reasoning, the get past regret. If I took something from it thdn I have that there, constantly there, constantly inspiring regret, second guessing etc. That would hurt me more.

11. Blossom85

This is a very interesting subject, one that I was struggling with for a while about two years ago. My ex had broken up with me and it was a long distance relationship which developed from online. She lives in America and I of course live in Australia.

I have to say that for a while I did think of giving up my whole life here with my family and friends and my job and lifestyle to go to America and try to make things right and better with my ex girlfriend. I never did anything about it, possibly because deep down I knew I didn't want to give up my family for something that may still not have had a happy ending. It made me feel a lot of different emotions and and the end I am grateful I didn't do it because I would have missed out on a lot, however even knowing all the different emotions and feelings I felt, I still couldn't say I wouldn't think about it again if the right person came along, It would depend on a lot of things. Love is something I have wanted for a long long time and if I was to find that person and I really felt it was right and it was what I wanted, then I couldn't say never.

As for money or better job opportunities, there is nothing that could make me give up my family and friends.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I was right.

You really are a Captain Picard.

13. timo

Well. Yeah. You know I love you and all that shit, and I must admit I'm kind of drunk at the moment, but even in this state, there are certain people I would never hurt. And I would never, ever kill someone or allow someone to be killed.

I might come back to this thread tomorrow once I'm sober again, but right now this is a question I just cannot answer.

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Friends, family, loved ones? No way! Or at the very least, I'd need some serious help thinking of things I could be offered that would remotely tempt me. It's not nobility or strength...it's that I can't think of anything I'd value more. Make the question even more stark and tempting and ask if I'd give up my friends, family, and loved ones or have absolutely *everything else* taken away from me. I'd still choose my friends, family, and loved ones. It'd make an interesting test.

My job, though? About $1,000,000 (tax free or after taxes). I could probably be talked down, if you wanted to haggle, but an offer of a cool million, and I'd go without hesitation. I couldn't turn down an opportunity like that.

Hell, I've already hurt most people I've loved in various ways. Unintentionally, of course, but still, I wasn't getting paid. But you aren't being precise here, dear. Are we talking about a prick on the finger? A broken bone? A kidney stone? So many volts of electricity for such and such a time? A broken heart?

Depending on the nature of the pain, I could possibly be talked into it for superpowers. I'll start with healthful immortality (more precisely, the choice of when/if I want to die) for myself and my partner. I could maybe be talked down to mere ability to fly or invisibility...definitely time-stopping. But the details would hinge on the nature of the pain I'd be causing.

Well just to start with, I don't dislike anyone enough to want them dead (and I have intense dislike for quite a few people). I can think of one person off the top of my head about whom I'd say hmmm, win-win, eh? But even he's not really someone I'd like to have against my karmic account. Society in general? That's an interesting one. I start thinking "healthful immortality for my partner and I" in exchange for losing every other human on the planet? Hmmm, maybe all but a few thousand, about whom I could lay down parameters (e.g., truly peaceful people, truly happy people, truly loving people, etc., would live, maybe)? There's definitely some real meat to the question, at any rate.

But Kaiser, really...this isn't a study in humanity. It's prurient curiosity about the inner workings of select people's minds. That's no terrible thing...but call a spade a spade.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

First of all, timo, take your time. I'm sure you'll have a riveting response.

Just curious, is all. I was hoping you'd chime in, because I knew you'd have an interesting response.

Your answer is honest enough, which is what I was looking for.

It wasn't too much what caused the pain, but if one would be willing to do it, whatever it was. How one answers, too, is also significant.

Again, I appreciate and like your honesty.

That would be the intention, yes.

Your response, again, is very realistic and very interesting.

I consider the inner workings of the mind, as part of studying humanity. It might be a more macabre or unsavory aspect, but I do consider it as part of that.

16. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

human touch

I NEED.... HUMAN TOUCH......... i am about to grt stupid, to get it....

17. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I cant think of anything, I value friends and family (even the ones I disagree with) more than that.

job? will be giving up my homophobic employer someday anyway.
    loved ones? no.

I can't think of anything material. I saw a story once about someone who went undercover to infiltrate a criminal group, and couldn't explain it to his family until the case was over. I suppose something like that.

I wouldn't want to allow someone to be killed merely because I dislike them. The only time I think killing is justified is in defense of self or others, where using lethal force against someone would actually save some innocent person from death or serious physical harm. Rape could potentially be serious physical harm, due to the possibility of a lethal disease. As far as someone wronging society in general, it depends on how they wronged society. Killing a terrorist or dictator, if they can't be safely captured, could also fall in this category, since they are responsible for directing/assisting others to kill on their behalf.

18. Ashley2103

My price would be.......

....errrrrr......

Being bribed with the opportunity of ownership of some large ass business so I can have a steady, overloaded source of income. I would never explain it to my family or anyone lol. Most likely drift off in to my own view of the world caused by the opportunity.

.....basically it would cause me to become such a condescending asshole that I would stop caring.

#18 Ashley2103, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *smile* Nope, 'fraid I can't buy it. That's like asking people here to describe their last sexual encounter in detail because you enjoy studying humanity (or even human sexuality)...it might be the more gritty aspects of humanity, but hey, what we do is part of who we are, right? Nonsense. You're not studying anything...you just like reading that kind of stuff. Rationalize it as you like...but we are not humanity, this is not a study, and you're only collecting prurient surface data.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Mm.

I kind of get what you're saying here. Though, the 'in detail' part, seems a bit much. There isn't a need to explain, in detail, how someone would do any of these things, here. But, in terms of exposing oneself, yes, I can see the relation.

Professionally, no. I am not studying anything. Self-learning, yes. I suppose we could discuss and debate, what studying is, or isn't... but then we'd be venturing off, into another topic*. However, I'll give you the ' like reading that kind of stuff'.

*If you want to discuss this, we can. But we can take it to our Walls, or Private Messaging (which, by the way, I'll respond to you, in the next day or so).

This forum, is a collection of humanity, from all walks of life. You don't really get that kind of accumulation, at least not in the degree it is here, in other places. While this place is only a fraction of humanity, it is one of the more diverse and interesting.

'Prurient' seems a bit... out of place. It's too sexually-focused -- at least, that is how I've heard the term used before. Other than that, you're right. I take in tidbits, but we all do that. I'm just posing a more brazen scenario, here.

Oh, and Annika. Thank you. You acknowledge who I was, before. You treat me as nobody special, now. I admire and respect that.