1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's "Censorship" And A "Social Justice Warrior"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So people will often use offensive slurs in video games, and when they are called out on their ignorant views, they will call the person in question a "social justice warrior" or they are trying to "censor" gamers. I've been called one because people were saying that Gay people are being hypocrites for wanting their own convention yet wanting to be treated equally(Why I wasted 6 hours reading through hateful comments on IGN no less is beyond me.) Does anyone know what either of these are, I seem to get biased responses wherever I go (I.E from the offendors I've mentioned.)

2. Hexagon

Censorship is the restriction of people's freedom of speech. An example here would be when we try to post the name of a dating site, we get this instead: *******. But it can also involve silencing people with political opinions the censoring authority doesn't like.

Social justice warriors are people who fight or campaign for social justice. That could be queer rights, an end to poverty, whatever. However, it's usually used as an insult.

3. ZenMusic

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Social justice warrior" is often used as an insult against anyone who supports feminism or gay rights. However, the original usage of the term was to describe someone who claims to be fighting for these things, but doesn't really understand them. They referred to people who would cry "that's offensive!" at things that were never meant to be offensive or aren't even thought to be offensive by most gay people or women. They try to defend social justice but end up making an ass of themselves.

"Censor" is just a buzzword used to defend someone's right to be a jackass and say rude and offensive things. "If you disagree with me, you're censoring me!"

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Censorship is a bad thing, however kindly reminding someone that they are making an ass of themselves is not censorship. It sounds to me like they want to censor your opinion. A social justice warrior is someone who isn't complacent with the sorry state of the world and seeks to improve it by openly defying wrongdoings. Strangely, this term is used by very stupid people as an insult.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A social justice warrior, or an SJW, is a person who takes social justice much too far. They are mostly native to the internet. Censorship is when you forbid people from expressing their opinions. Debunking a statement or making a rebuttal is not censorship.

If you want me to find some examples, I'll happily do so, but most of them will be from social media sites (i.e. not the most credible sources), where most of the SJWs "reside".

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those people crying out "social justice warrior" when called out should be paid no mind. They are immature brats not worthy of attention until they learn how to behave when dealing with others.