1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you think you're gay, you probably are - true or false?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

I was watching some YouTube today, and I kept hearing a few statements about gay people being echoed multiple times. I've heard two particular messages before online. For the most part, they apply to people who are either questioning themselves or are in the closet.

1 - if you think you're gay, you probably are

2 - you aren't hiding it nearly as well as you think you are. Everyone who knows you well enough probably has a hunch

What do you think of these two statements? True or false.

2. Randomcloud

The first statement could apply to some people but not to others..

I don't really agree with the second one. I'm 100% sure I'm gay and yet some people I've come out to (including my own father) genuinely thought I was joking... You can never make assumptions about someone else's identity

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say they are gross generalizations--that are generally true.:lol: In most areas there are so many really strong reasons to not think you are some stripe of LGBT even if you are, that by the time someone comes to that realization, even just to themselves, that they think they are gay they probably are. I've known a lot of people who have renegotiated where they fit along the spectrum, I haven't known many people who ever seriously wondered if they were gay who didn't eventually turn out to be gay in some fashion. The second one definitely has more exceptions than the first but I think it is also common enough to be dubbed generally true.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If I think I'm ugly, does that mean I am?

*Looks in mirror*

No. Still fucking sexy.

5. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

If these apply to bi people as well, then I'd have to generally agree with Randomcloud.

Both statements are based on ridiculous assumptions.

6. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the first one is true for most people. The second one depends on the person, though I'm pretty it applies to me. My closest friends have probably questioned my sexuality. On the other hand, I'm more known as a weird, quiet and shy guy than a closetted gay guy to people who don't know me very well.

7. C P

C P

Exactly.

A lot of us(or, hell, people in general) are still given a bazillion reasons daily why we shouldn't even give thought to being non-straight that, should it actually cause someone to ponder over it enough to feel they could be, there likely is a hint of truth to it(the first thing).

I can attest to this sort of thing because, even though I haven't ever dated or anything, enough people that know me genuinely feel like I'm that rare breed of 'good guy waiting for the right girl to come along, who isn't being typical and treating women like sexual objects'.

Now could the thought have run across the mind of an odd person or two? Sure, I think it probably does with anybody in our shoes. Whether or not it is a lingering one is the real question if you ask me and, so far, hasn't shown.

#7 C P, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. mangotree

The first question kind of falls into the whole "labels" drama.
    Someone could experience exclusive attraction to the same-sex/same-gender and not know and/or accept that "gay" is the word for that.
    On a similar note, someone could "think" or lable themselves as gay, but that thought/label could be based on an incorrect assumption of what gay means.

The second question contains too many variables to be true.
    Every person and every family is different.

9. CyclingFan

Not sure about gay, but if you're attracted to people of the same sex or gender then you aren't straight. Might not be gay.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

The first statement is true, the second, not for all.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. Most straight people don't really question their sexuality because they have no need to. It's unusual for a straight person to think they're gay.

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Completely straight people don't really question their sexuality much aside from the occasional "I wonder what it would be like to be gay" kind of thing. Also I don't know if it's true for everyone, but when I came out to my mom she told me she knew since I was five years old.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #1 - Either that or bisexual. I agree that fully straight people probably don't question their sexuality as much. It usually indicates some sort of bisexuality at least.
    #2 - For some, yes. It was true for me, at least with my family. No hiding it from them, even though I tried. My "coming out" was old news as far as they were concerned.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I don't think either of those are really true. In a homophobic society, people are pressured into straightness whether they are or not. All that "straight pressure" might make even fully straight people wonder if they're normal.

As for the second, totally wrong. The fact that nobody knows how many gay people there are overall is pretty good evidence that the closet is legit. Some people are obvious, but I bet many more are good at hiding it.

15. Blossom85

1: I am a little unsure about this one.. I think there is a possibility that you could question your sexuality, however then realize you are straight. You might feel you aren't straight, have a same sex experience and then realize it is not who you are at all. For Some people, the experience doesn't measure up to what your fantasy on it, so I think for some people it is true, however others it isn't.

2: Not true.. They might have a hunch or an assumption, however that is all it is.. And assumptions based on certain things like not ever having a boyfriend if you are a girl or girlfriend if you are a guy or not having sex or anything like that is not a good enough reason to think that someone is gay.

16. Hexagon

I doubt many heterosexuals doubt their sexuality. So the first seems true enough, though there are a few exceptions. As for the second, not necessarily. Some people hide it pretty well.

17. One Man Army

The second statement could be true, but difficult to prove. People could say to you 'I always suspected you were gay' after you come out to them, but it could be that they've unconsciously 'updated' their memories of you somewhat, to make it seem like you had acted more gay before coming out than you actually had.

The mind is a funny thing.

Damn right.

And I think there's a plate of biscuits on the table. Aha! There is! How cool would that be?

18. ChameleonSoul

The first statement is definitely true for the reasons OGS said. Society tends to be heteronormative and even if it isn't meant intentionally anyone that isn't straight and cisgendered is seen as someone strange or foreign (Look at all the straight people who want a "gay best friend"). So if you think you might be gay, you probably are.

As for the second one, I don't think that's true in most cases. For me, every person I've ever come out thought I was just in a phase or said that they would've never guessed. Even though there's nothing wrong with being stereotypically gay, most people in the LGBT community don't meet what society has associated with "gayness".

19. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    depends on the person

no my mom thought I was joking

20. NewSensation

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay