1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Is It Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Polterpup, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Polterpup

When is it appropriate to explain to a child what "gay" is? About two years ago I said "gay" in front of my...cousins? Second cousins? I don't know, but I digress. Alrighty, so I said "gay" in front of them and the younger one, who was nine, asked me what that was. The older one, who was twelve (a year younger than me) looked like someone just slapped her. I tried to gently explain it without failing...which I failed at, and the older one told my great grandmother what I had said and my grandmother said "You all need to talk about something more appropriate."

So, when is it appropriate to tell a child what "gay" is? I've known since as long as I can remember, and my mum even has gay friends that she's never kept from me. In my personal opinion, I don't think it's inappropriate. It's not like I was explaining what sex is. So, what do you all think?

2. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As soon as they is old enough to understand their is a such thing as mommy and daddy.

3. Colours

I don't see why there should be an age limit.

4. Polterpup

Exactly! I really don't think any age is too young.

5. Ryujin

This something that annoyed me a while back, when I was away with my family and I mentioned gay rights in front of my 4 year old cousin and my 12 year old cousin looks at me as if I've just sworn and says to me later that it's probably not appropriate.

Imo, if I child can understand the concept of a couple, married or otherwise, which most children do very soon (most are brought up with a couple as parents or around friends who have couples as parents so they come to understand it quickly) then they should be able to understand it and have it explained to them. Children come to understand the idea of coupling off very quickly and will roleplay it etc.
    Also, just because they wouldn't understand it, doesn't make it inappropriate to say, just as much as mentioning a straight couple would be inappropriate under that same logic.

6. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

I think kids shouldn't have to get into the world of labels yet (i.e. straight, gay, bi, etc), that's when things start getting confusing.

I think it is best to just let them explore/be themselves until they ask such questions.

7. Jwis

I agree with this for the most part. I think its more important to just let your children know that whoever they are that you will love them unconditionally, and they should do the same to others. If it were my children I would wait until they ask me, why those two men are together or those two women, etc... I would explain it to them then. Children are inquisitive and I believe they will ask the question when they are ready to understand.

8. mangotree

As soon as they can comprehend that their mum and dad love each other, they can comprehend that their aunt/uncle/cousin etc loves someone of the same sex and - unless their parents have taught them otherwise - kids understand easily.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :thumbsup:
    You might explain it with love... its two people loving each other... be it of the same sex or opposite sex. There is nothing inappropriate with love.

10. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I agree with these two posts.

I personally think there shouldn't be an age limit. As some as they comprehend love, they should be able to understand the concept. Kids need to be taught that being gay is common and that it's okay from when they're very young.

I'm absolutely sick of the mentality that kids seem to have that being gay is wrong. It really needs to change.

11. One Man Army

Unfortunately my niece is already being told that only mummies and daddies can love each other and have children. When she does find out what being gay is, she'll ask her parents and they'll tell her it's something bad and naughty.

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have to go into the details of anal sex. It's just when a girl and a girl or an boy and a boy love each other. I don't think children will actually find that concept that difficult to understand. They will probably understand it more than some adults.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think there should be no age limit.

14. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As soon as possible I think. You can never be too young

15. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that as soon as they are in 1st or 2nd Grade(So around 6-7). That way, they get to know early on what it is and what it means. Hopefully, it's explained to them in a way that doesn't discriminate against LGBTQ people. Then they will carry it on into parenthood and start the process all over again.