1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance Relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Oct 20, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi people,

What are your opinions about long-distance relationship?

Will you be fine being in such a relationship? :slight_smile:

2. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From watching my friends try long-distance relationships, my conclusion is that they are difficult, stressful, and never end well.

I'd be willing to try long-distance for a little while if necessary, but there would definitely be a limit to how much of it I could take before I decided the relationship wasn't worth it.

#2 MintberryCrunch, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Blossom85

I think it would depend on a few things..

I was in an online long distant relationship and we did have plans of meeting, however it didn't work out that way. It ended before we could meet, me being in Australia and she being in America, so it was rather difficult.. I did feel a connection with her though and It would totally depend on if I could find a connection with someone else like that again, however I would only do online long distance if we did meet before anything really happened and we made plans to keep meeting in person as much as we could and if it was a situation where we were together and then it became long distant, then I would certainly trial it and see how it went. Just because you are might become to be in a long distant relationship doesn't mean you need to give it all up if you still love each other..

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I personally hate them , I'd rather be able to see and touch the person and have them live near me than travel far ; I'm not risking that much no thanks

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Definitely want to be in one.

I'm a trans boy living in a small southern town with no beautiful men. I think it's my only choice until I move somewhere else.

6. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry but I have to agree it is really hard to make it work . I am not saying that it won't it is really hard . I too have tried it before and it did not work out for me either ,good news is that we are still friends . I wish you all the luck if you try it who knows it may work awesome for you !!

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it really depends on the person and the relationship. Some people find long-distance relationships easier than others. There's a lot of trust and accountability involved. I also think that there needs to be an agreement, even tentatively, that at some point the long-distance will end.

I've been in a loving long-distance relationship for almost a year now. We've always been long-distance and I think that's easier than starting out close and moving apart. It works well for the two of us. On the other hand, I was in a relationship with a guy who couldn't handle being long-distance for the length of Christmas break when we went to separate hometowns.

Communication is paramount. In my experience, if you can't find anything to talk about in order to stay in touch then it's probably not going to work out.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tried that twice. Really like catastrophically bad.

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I wouldn't want to be in one personally

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

people tell me i need to try them but i know i wouldnt be able to handle it without just moving in with them or near them like immediatrly

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Tried them many times, they usually don't work.

With that being said, I'd prefer to start off in an online relationship and meet up later. I tend to get turned off easier by people in person because I don't trust and I feel uncomfortable with physical affection with anyone I haven't known for years

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, I happen to think a relationship or at least a friendship built online could be quite positive. It lets both of you respond on your own terms without feeling the constant pressure to be "interesting" on a face-to-face date. It also lets you both sort out what it is you have in common before intensifying commitment.

13. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's like any other relationship; it depends on the people in it. If you don't have mutually compatible goals for the relationship, it probably won't work out. I think it also depends on what your focus is in a relationship. Some people need physical attraction and closeness, and in that case I don't think it would work out so well. If someone finds personality and emotional connection important, then it can work out quite well, and it can even be a benefit that you can get to know each other without the physical side getting in the way.

I had a LDR that worked out very well, I've known others who had mixed results.

14. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They can work if both members are committed to making them work. However, it is easier if you have met before, or can frequently meet and ultimately end up together.

15. timo

No. Never. Not for me. I want to be able to actually be with someone.

The only exception would be if I'm already in a relationship with someone I met in real life, where one of us has to move away for a job. But that's different because we already know each other and know what to expect.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some long-distance relationships work in the sense that they were once conducted face-to-face and are looking at the promise of return; I know some married couples who are geographically distant due to work (in one case as far as one living in Melbourne and the other in London). I think the main thing is that the ground-work has to be solid and the relationship should stable and very important to both, and existing from some time before.

A marriage or a very long-term relationship can usually survive distance. A fresh relationship, however, is not quite so stable. I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't separate from a long-term partner because we had to live in different places to pursue the careers we'd like. To start one from a long-distance basis is something I'd have no interest in.

17. Libra71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh, I have not thought about this in years but it came up twice recently.

My husband and I had a long distance relationship for just over four years - due to job/career reasons. This was 15 years ago, before Skype, actually even mobile phones were not common in those days. We both knew from the moment we got together that he will be moving to another country once he finished his masters so we kind of took each day at the time in those early days, not putting a lot of pressure on each other in terms of expectations once we started living apart.

There was strong attraction and connection between us, definitely, but thinking back it was the honesty and open communication that we had that helped create a relaxed space in which our love and commitment for each other developed.

Once the commitment was there, it all came down to planning (on average, we would spend about four month together per year) and finances (telecom and airlines made a small fortune on us) - and generally approaching LDR as something that can be managed not something that requires an immediate fix (we did 'fix' it years later when we moved to NZ)! We have different needs as individuals and couples have different dynamics - so what worked for us won't necessarily work for everybody.

What helped our relationship succeed - besides LOVE - was communication (pretty much daily contact by email or phone) and total trust in each other (this includes being faithful). There were other factors that helped like neither of us being the jealous type and enjoying a certain level of independence from each other. Oh, and did I say that in the absence of physical intimacy, phone sex can be pretty satisfying?! :slight_smile:

wow, this must be the most detailed analysis of my relationship that I ever did, thanks EC, now I have a testimony for eternity

18. shinji

shinji Guest

Who doesn't like a challenge!

And when you think about it... Earth is not that big, really. And plane tickets are cheap-ish... And we have <redacted due to rules and stuff> so vid chat and stuff.

Oh, imagine... a long distance relationship, and both parties agree to "meet" halfway and start a life together, in a strange (to both of them) new world/country. How exciting would that be?!

Quem and Kabuki, should pitch in here somewhere...

19. cuppycake

Oh. Long distance relationships. Where should I begin?

I actually like those. Yeah, they might not be that practical. Yeah, you can't have sex with the person you love. And yeah, you can't touch or hug or kiss or anything, to be honest. But you really get to appreciate that spiritual bond, y'know? The trust and the loyalty are the most important aspects of a long-distance relationship. Besides, you kinda get to know each other better before you go and actually date or live together or do any other thing that might otherwise come out as rushed.

Plus, for people like me who don't feel comfortable talking face to face, touching and stuff, especially if me and my partner are still more or less strangers, then a long-distance relationship is perfect. I like it. It's just my style, y'know? Knowing each other well first before doing anything stupid, that is. It's not like I can't date women outside the internet, in fact, I would love to find a lady to date IRL. I'm fine with both ways.

I've had a couple of long-distance relationships going. Yeah, they sucked. But I'll keep trying. Whether it's in real life or on the internet, I'll just keep searching for The One (by Dolce&Gabanna). Trust me, when you find that missing piece of your puzzle, a long-distance relationship won't stop you from getting together.

20. tulipinacup

Like what DragonHerz said, it's like any other relationship and it either works or not. I think the biggest issue when it comes to long distance is there isn't much (or any at all) physical contact with each other so you rely on other mediums. (skype, messaging, e-mail,facebook, etc.) I've heard stories from people that they met online and end up getting married while others didn't end so well.