1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt alienated from hetersexual dorminated world around you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MiseryJoe, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MiseryJoe

That's how I've been feeling lately and I'm just checking whether I'm not alone or what.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I always feel alienated in my area.

3. C P

C P

I always tend to feel isolated, on both sides though(even if heteronormative society makes the one feel a bit more so usually).

4. stormborn

most of my friends are queer; sometimes i forget that there are non-queer people out there and that we are the minority :lol: but when i have those moments when i realize how heteronormative the world is, and it messes me up a lot. feels lonely, and isolated.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes, especially when with guy friends. I feel like I'm not fully "one of the guys" because I'm gay sometimes. And people assuming I'm straight doesn't help. Heterosexuality is so normal and default that it's weird sometimes not being a part of it.

7. thekillingmoon

Yeah most of the time, but I feel isolated from people generally, gay or straight.

8. White Knight

In my younger days, say 10 years ago, I felt like that. Even this body was like a prison to me.

Now I am too annoyed with people to feel alienated.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Honestly, I would probably be a loner to, or alienated from, the world, no matter who dominated it.

True talk.

10. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, before I knew I was gay I didn't know why I felt that way. I guess now I do...

Just disconnected from people; I didn't recognize myself in other girls or women and their dreams/views of life and maybe felt closer to guys in some ways yet not was interested in them otherwise, i.e. sexually.

On the plus side: coming on EC has helped a lot with finally feeling that connection and understanding myself and others for a change :slight_smile:

I do feel that I am somewhat of a loner regardless: partly because I chose to and partly because things grew that way. I also grew up in a bit of a weird church (almost a cult though not quite) and so I've always stood out with that in our little village where most people either went to an 'ordinary' church or not at all. So I was considered to be different there, and then later in a strict Christian highschool I was still part of this 'other' and, therefore strange church, so yeah.

Just saying, because for the longest time I thought that was responsible for my feeling different, but of course being gay was mixed in with that 'otherness' from the beginning, only I didn't know....

So for instance, my looking at the marjorette girls (marching band girls?) was not just my being jealous and wanting to join them (but not allowed 'cause religion) but was also my checking out these beautiful girls... but that last part was missing from my knowledge, so I figured it was just religion that caused my feeling different and left out.

So I guess I have had different reasons for feeling different and alienated but being in a heteronormative world is definitely part of that.

11. Hexagon

That's why we're here, isn't it?

12. Randomcloud

Sometimes, and sometimes I feel alienated from the LGBT community because I "look straight" (thank god for you guys! :slight_smile:)

13. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I never used to. Mainly because I didn't fit into any specific group anyway. This is the primary reason why I didn't feel as much pressure to analyse, acknowledge, accept and reveal my sexuality until recently. It's only now that I'm slightly getting into more social situations (meeting friends of friends etc) that I'm starting to notice what an annoyance it is to have to work around the subject of heterosexuality or stay silent when it comes up.

14. Pie

Pie Guest

I feel alienated around people I'm not out to. It's a good thing though; the solution to that problem is to just come out.

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I just assert myself with a vengeance and people take me how they choose. If they accept me or not, doesn't really concern me so I don't really feel alienated.

Happy days :slight_smile:

16. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel alienated more by the LGBT+ community than I do the heterosexual one. But in any case I tend to be on my own more so than in a group.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Less so since I started coming out, which doesn't make a lot of sense! But when I was firmly wedged in the closet, I was uncomfortable with everyone, and especially myself. Now that I'm not hiding anymore, I feel much more at ease. Translate that as "I don't really give a rat's ass what people think". Funny thing is, most people aren't really aware that they're doing something that makes you feel alienated. So if you automatically respond as though you're being picked on, they get defensive and assume you're a jerk or a whiner, and actually seem MORE likely to push you aside. I've been treated far better, even by straight guys, since I stopped pretending to BE one.

18. C P

C P

This so freakin' much.

I mean I've always felt a lot more at ease around girls/women but, after I discovered this something new about myself, even though I have good guy friends, it's made me feel the same way you described. It's not too bad one on one, but when I'm around a group of guys is when it really shows. I tend to feel pretty out of place/awkward/sometimes a bit uncomfortable. Can't seem to shake the feeling. :-l