1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Your Toilet Seat Policy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Do you leave the toilet seat up or do you lower it after using it (if you ever lift it)?

I'm not talking about the lid of the toilet seat, but the actual seat where you sit on.

------

I was raised to always lower the seat after I used it, but never actually understood why until later in life :lol:. Unbeknownst to me, women sat down for all bathroom visits (I also learned why, for women, the direction you wipe can save you from a UTI and a prescription for Cipro).

Personally, if I'm alone at home, I will leave the toilet seat up because 8 out of 10 bathroom visits will probably not merit lowering the seat :lol:. If there are others, I will lower it after using it.

I know some (straight) couples will fuss about this; I wonder if gay couples ever argue over this.

2. BiohazardBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always put it back down, but chivalry is sort of second nature to me. I was raised in a house full of women, so I was taught to always put it down, always hold doors, never physically harm a girl, ect. I think most guys are taught that though, regardless of family. I just heard it a LOT more. XD

3. tulipinacup

My sisters would always tell me to leave the toilet seat up when peeing but since I'm lazy as hell I do the "as long as you are aiming at the toilet hole" method.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lower it always at home or at someone else's house. With my roommates in college, leave it up. 7 guys in this house--no one's a stickler about putting it down :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    South Park did a great spoof of this. In my house. The toilet seat is your responsibility. Look before you sit. If I'm at someone home, I'll lower it; even if I think I shouldn't have to. . .

6. AlamoCity

I was raised in a similar household and can be chivalrous to a fault, on the verge of being considered sexist or misogynist :rolle:, but the toilet seat was not something I considered chivalrous. For several years, I thought it was for aesthetic purposes so women who went to the bathroom to "freshen up" didn't have to stare at the toilet bowl; and, by toilet seat down, I actually thought they meant the "lid" :lo:. Ah, to be young and naive :roflmao:.

:roflmao: TMI, but my aim sucks in the morning because of the amount of pressure built up and the fact the the organ that surrounds the urethra happens to be a little, er, stiff.

7. BiohazardBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I ever got sexist, but I probably got pretty close at some point. Now everything's just awkward. I always knew women peed sitting down, but it took a few years to figure out just WHY they did that. XD

8. AlamoCity

I must clarify. The sexist part meant what others thought of me, not what I thought of myself. I have gotten told off my several women in my life simply for opening the door/giving up my seat.

9. BiohazardBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wooooow. That's like... Pulling a guy up a cliff only to have him shoot you in the leg at the top. What kind off person does that? XD

10. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends.

11. White Knight

I think all seats should have equal rights. They should be allowed to vote and they definetely be in politics actively. Looking at world leaders... many seats do better job at protecting our behinds.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I was expecting some political satire, but alas... we are, really, discussing toilet seat etiquette.

LOL.

As for what I do. I look first, before anything else.

I usually leave the seat down. And the reason isn't for anybody's consideration, it is more or less, having to do with the possibility, of having diarrhea.

I know, you're probably thinking, Kaiser, that is ridiculous.

I agree, but, I'd rather not waste a precious second, to put the seat down, when I'm feeling sick. I might have an upset stomach, but I'm not going to have a wet ass, too.

LOL.

13. Blossom85

I always close it after I have flushed, and I usually know when my dad or brother in law have used the toilet as they will leave it up.

14. BornAnew

I leave it in the position I have just used it in.

I really don't see it as a big issue, moving a toilet seat up or down requires the most minimal of efforts that anyone is capable of doing. You can even use a bit of toilet roll to move it up or down if you think its gross (but you're gonna wash your hands after anyway!!!)

Of course unless I lived in a house with someone who was physically incapable of lifting or lowering the toilet seat then I would do everything in my power to put the toilet seat in their desired position after using the toilet!

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Up. I'm inconsiderate like that :lol:

16. timo

I've never given thought to the whole "what to do with the seat-thing" as I close the lid after every toilet use, no matter where I am, who's place it is, or if the lid was already open before I used it. It's my nature.

17. RAdam

I always pee in the sink so I don't know this policy you're talking about

18. discalcedtierce

I live my myself, so I leave it down at home. Elsewhere, I try to leave it how it was when I found it, and always, always, look before I sit. There have been a few close calls before I learned to look.

19. robclem21

Do you stand on the counter or do you just have really good aim?

As for the seat, I grew up mostly in a house of all girls with only one bathroom. I was repeatedly blasted to put the seat down, although I think it was more aesthetics than purpose. Either way, by habit I do that now no matter where I am.

20. RAdam

Neither.. I just lay it on there and let it run.