1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else still not used to hearing husband/wife in the gay community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Oct 22, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work nights and when I get home I flip on the tv. Usually I watch law and order svu but the channel rotates their programming (may be SVU this week and NCIS next week....). Anyway here lately they have been showing stuff like Buffy or Charmed that I don't really enjoy so I have been channel surfing. I usually land on cooking shows like Chopped or I find Tabatha Takes Over.

In the last month I have heard many references to a gay husband/wife and it just kinda locks my brain up for a second. Then I go "oh yeah, that's legal now". I am used to hearing partner/gf/bf but for some reason wife/husband still phases me a bit.

I love the fact that now we can get married it's just the words husband/wife still kinda give me temporary brain lock. Am I alone in this or are there others who are just so used to bf/gf/partner that adding husband /wife still throws them off?

Maybe it's because (last I heard) gay marrage is still in limbo here? It was made legs by a lower level judge but then a stay was issued while going through the appeal process. Never heard more.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's weird, but it's a good weird! :grin:

3. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it's been legal here for 13 years, so i guess people are getting used to it.

4. AJ Bee

We've had it here 10 years, I think. I have gotten used to it for the most part.

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard anyone using the words husband or wife in a gay marriage. However if I did I would be extremely happy because I hate the word partner, it just makes me feel like I'm not normal. I would love to have a wife in the future, not a partner. To me a partner is someone you run a business with

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I am not used to it, but that's simply because I'm not used to people getting married at all, and this goes for my straight friends.

~ Adrienne

7. Gen

Gen

Most of the homosexual couples in the first few waves of gay marriage had already grown up in a society where they were taught to use partner. I've heard many married gay couples still refer to one another as their partner. Especially, with this incoming generations, I believe it will be completely normalized within the next few decades.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wasn't use to it before because when I would here a woman call another woman her wife or say she was gonna have a wife I would be shocked . I'm getting use to it though .
    I would like to have a wife one day myself and I would love saying wife .

[youtube]2RubvPkuC6E[/youtube]

9. White Knight

No. I don't think people need some religions or governments approval to call each other husband or wife.

Yeah it is good that people can marry legally and all but in my heart it doesn't make much different.

10. Blossom85

I am on another forum and there are two married legally women on it and they constantly refer to each other as 'my wife' and I think it is really sweet and cute that they can say that to each other, I don't see it as weird much. Just wish my country would get with the program already.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am uncertain when hearing "husband" in gay marriage terms, because I don't know if that implies anything about the relationship or not. To me, there are TWO husbands in a gay married couple, which is what makes it a gay couple, not a husband (male) and a wife (female). I acknowledge that the actuality of legally married gay couples is so new, that there are no universally established semantic definitions for the terms yet.

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually am more comfortable with husband/wife than "partner" or "boyfriend/girlfriend". "Partner" always sounded awkward to me, and always conjured up images of either some kind of cold business partner, or else a team like Abbott and Costello or something. It never seemed like a good way to describe the person you were committed too. (And then people would use terms like "life partner" which always felt very manufactured to me.)

"Boyfriend/girlfriend" isn't bad if you're somewhat younger, but it seems inadequate to describe a permanent relationship. (And for heaven's sake, I'm 53 and my guy will be 42 in a week, so we're hardly "boys"!)

So once we actually can do it, we'll be husbands. It sounded weird the first few times I hear it, but it's grown on me a whole lot and I really like it. I like the idea of a traditional commitment to someone you love, and what better way to show it than using traditional terminology? I also think it portrays an image of stability and acceptability that gay couples have often lacked. Introducing him as "my husband" will be a thrill!