1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels: yay or nay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yeety, Oct 22, 2014.

?

What do you think of labels?

1. I love em'.

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. I hate em'.

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I don't care.

29 vote(s)
    53.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well pretty much said now, what does everyone think about labels?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any argument for abolishing labels of sexuality also goes for abolishing language altogether. I find it rather amusing that this debate comes up so often in the LGBTQ+ community; labels are merely language, not a separate queer issue.

Now, if we talk about the application of certain labels, then that conversation might end up being something productive.

#2 Aussie792, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

I don't care that much about labels. Sometimes labels can make it easier to find out more about yourself. However I do, slightly, care about how people interpret specific labels.

4. CyclingFan

Well said.

I've found labels both helpful and harmful. But that has everything to do with what the labels purported to encompass and the ineffable nature of the things being described. I guess I dont find specific, exclusionary labels helpful.

5. Candace

I'm really indifferent towards them.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love labels , I'm not interested in men at all, just women so I love the word lesbian because it gets that point across it accurately describes me . :slight_smile:
    I think labels are good when it comes to dating and should be for those who want to use it ,and for those that don't like it well go without one . I never saw labels as mandatory and I really don't get why people in the lgbt act like it is mandatory . I think the reason people have problems with labels is because some of them don't fit the labels and are multisexual but choose labels that are close to which sex they like the most , and some want to be like the straight people where they don't have to say what they are all the time .

#6 stocking, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  7. Acm

Acm Guest

I like them, I also agree with what Aussie792 said, I've never thought of it like that before but it's true

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Labels are great to some degree, though it can get confusing when people to try to overcomplicate them

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the label..I am fine with the basic ones.

10. 101DeadRoses

If someone else likes a label, that's fine. Go right on ahead. But personally, I can't stand them.
    The idea of something as slight and insignificant as a word defining something as complex as sex and sexuality just seems... ridiculous to me. So I refrain from most labels.

11. discalcedtierce

I feel that most of the labels are not descriptive or specific enough to describe either my sexuality or gender, so I'm stuck with trying to find something that's close enough, but not quite. I don't put much weight on them for myself, but it is nice, even in their imperfect state, the ease of using them to facilitate communication and understanding, as long as all parties involved have the same definition for the labels.

12. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
  13. Blossom85

I am not a big lover of labels in general, but to me it was important I find a label that fit right for me and I struggled for a long time and stressed over if this was the right one or if something else suited me better. Now I have come to a realization point that whilst I don't really like them, I am happy with the label I have chosen for myself. Pansexual just fits me perfectly and since I made that decision, I have not once re-questioned the label I had put on myself, so whilst I don't love labels.. I can see the how and why people place importance on them as I do myself.

14. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like labels, you need them in certain situations. But, like everything...you shouldn't abuse labels or try to fit neatly into one.

I identify with labels I fit with 75% to 85% of the time.

15. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Overall I like labels. I find them useful. It's only human nature to want to put things into categories. It saves me a hell of a lot of time to just say bisexual. People know what I mean and it's accurate enough, even if there's more to it than that. Some labels are just silly though, such as 'stargender.' I'm sorry, I can't take that kind of stuff seriously.

16. White Knight

I don't care, as in "I don't care what you call yourself you are what I understand from you" style.

It feels like people keep coming up new labels to make themselves feel special. I might start calling myself rightsockist, you know a person who wears their right sock first but who cares? :grin:

17. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

D g a f unless it's like somebody can't even exist without an external definition of what someone else decided was the criteria for whatever title .
    If you want to be defined so badly within parameters , go be a word . You'll be in the dic tion nary.

18. thekillingmoon

Don't like them, feels like putting myself in a box.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

I kid.

20. Hexagon

Labels are an integral part of how we think; we can't get rid of them. What's important is firstly to respect what people decide to call themselves, and secondly to avoid stereotypical thought.