1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Defense

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm curious, who here, practices some form of self-defense. It can be a martial art, the use of a particular weapon, or just being prepared (pepper spray, taser, etc).

And for a bonus, how important is it, to know, self defense?
    Better yet, should everybody be capable, of defending themselves?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There's no need for it where I live but if I ever graduate into a bigger city I'm pretty sure I'll at least learn some form of martial arts. Everyone should be able to protect themselves and their nakama.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't expect to be attacked, and I don't have any self-defence measures.

To answer your "bonus" questions, it depends in what context you live in. If you're well aware that the police will take up action, then perhaps don't; it can come across badly in a court context if you're known to have reacted violently. If you know that no legal action would be taken, then it might be prudent to prepare. If you live in a safe area, then don't; reactive violence doesn't look quite so appropriate when violence is a rare occurrence. If not, perhaps it's best to be vigilant.

Not everybody should be able to defend themselves. That implicitly places some of the responsibility on the victims, not the attackers.

4. Hexagon

I practice a martial art. Well, kinda. I used to do hapkido, but I haven't been able to find a place to do it here, so I've started taekwondo.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Would you protect me, kageshiro, hm?

As usual, you address the subject remarkably. I bet you could justify Chia Pets as a viable product, too.

You trying to kick my ass? In the name of good fun, and love, of course.

LOL!

6. Blossom85

I don't really know any self-defense.. I don't know when I would really need it.. I don't go out at night and I live in a pretty safe neighborhood. I think if you like in a place where there is a lot of violence and bad things happening, it could be something you could take an interest in.

7. tulipinacup

Yes. The Pythagorean Theorem. Thank you high school math teacher.

8. White Knight

I dabbled into Kung-fu in my youth. I think I mostly rely on my mass and anger nowadays.

I think everyone, especially women should know some measure of self-defense in places like here where they can be target to rape or murder at high rates.

I am against any kind of firearms as protection tho'. That only leads disaster.

9. AlamoCity

My only "real" training comes from the work I've put in practicing for half marathons. In other words, flight instead if fight :lol:.

That said, my uncle has given me lessons in personal protection and hand-to-hand combat scenarios. He is a former prison guard and we sometimes like to "practice" on each other (that sounded so wrong :lol:slight_smile:.

He also wants to take me to a gun range to become proficient in firearms.

While Texas has relatively generous laws regarding self-defense, I would prefer to avoid any confrontation if at all possible. My level of response depends whether I am alone or with someone like my mom and sister. It is easier for me to flee if I am alone, but if I am with someone like my sister, it would probably be better to take a stand and secure her safety. I've trained my sister to be prepared to take cover if I ever use the phrase "going to grandma's cabin."

10. Rosalynn

Yeah, I do kick boxing and karate. I believe everyone should be able to defend themselves, however some people would probably be jerks and go around bullying others.

11. Hexagon

Obviously the responsibility for the attack rests solely on the attackers, and no one has a moral responsibility to learn to defend themselves. However, that isn't a reason not to learn, and I tend to think it's a good idea. The fact remains that attacks to sometimes occur, and I'm not about to risk getting beaten or killed just because people shouldn't beat or kill me.

12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is self defence though and where do we draw the line? What is considered reasonable force to defend oneself? It's a minefield. I have an uncle who believes you are well justified in "knocking ten bells" out of someone if they attack first or trespass on your property. I hardly consider that self defence, but he very genuinely does and I know many more like him, which is rather worrying. Even the use of lesser force could (and in all probability would) be considered excessive in the legal sense.

I'm supportive of martial arts as a sport or way of keeping fit, but not if the purpose is to teach idiots to be aggressive or violent. Fortunately, most good practitioners teach/learn discipline and respect. I think that's just as important.

Since we have gun control and weapon laws over here, nobody can justify carrying either on the grounds of self defence. One thing I believe we have got right as a country.

I don't know if I've got it in me to be aggressive towards another person. I've been assaulted before and didn't react. I just left it to the police and courts.

13. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    MY uncle gave me boxing lessons when I was in my teens haven't really put it into practice that much . am more likely to walk away from a situation

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with taking steps to protect yourself. I was only responding to the slight implication that there's a duty of sorts to protect yourself.

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every human should be able to defend themselves and have the tools, mental and physical, to do the job. in particular i cannot think of a group of people, in the "western world", more vulnerable than the LGBT community. for anyone who thinks it can't happen to me or it can't happen here, know this there are people in this world who want us dead, our very existance wiped out. extremists of every stipe target US. i grew up in a very small town (less than a 1000 people), not a "big dangerous" city and for me to have come out back when i was a teen, i'd be dead it can happen wherever whe are and whoever we are, just because we are. add to that there are way too many loons in the world who want to destroy our world because we dont believe as they do, weither we are Christian, Jew, Budist, Hindu, or the wrong stripe of Islam. this is why we all need to be able to and have the tools to defend ourselves.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 09:55 AM ----------

recognizing that evil exists and that the police and government cannot defend you every time something happens (governments, police, and the courts have stated that there is no responsiblity stop crime) does not take responsibility from the attacker, rather empowers the nonaggressor with the ability to resist that evil, to live, to thrive and to be.

16. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing martial arts for nearly 25 years. My main martial art is karate but I've also crossed over into many other types.

In my opinion though, if a situation comes to blows, then something has gone wrong somewhere.

Happy days :slight_smile:

17. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I have never had to, I am prepared to defend myself if attacked without any appropriate means of avoidance. I am not an "easy target".

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived in in some pretty dicey neighborhoods in Baltimore for over a decade, and have never had to use any. I keep alert, though. I have a Karmic shield.

But if I had to, and the attacker was male, I'd try to get 'em in the nuts, 'cause that can really incapacitate a guy fast. Or pull hair, bite, fight dirty, so to speak.

And yet it's never been something I've felt like I needed to invest any time/worry in, things could happen, but I got other, bigger worries. I did think of getting a small compound bow once, That would be a cool weapon, I think. Quiet, too.

19. One Man Army

I'm lucky in that I'm tall and well-built, so unarmed individuals would know better than to attack me. However I'm aware that my build would be absolutely no help if a gang with knives set upon me and decided to unleash seven hells on me.

I don't know any martial arts but it doesn't bother me. I tend to avoid walking alone when it's dark, especially as our town has had a recent spate of murders...

20. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I probably should learn at least some basics. I know to go for a guy's nuts if they come after me, and their eyes if they keep coming. Maybe I'll start carrying my umbrella in my bag all the time, you know, just in case...